• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

AutoTrader Trade-In Marketplace?

Prior to TIM , every dealer naturally has a system in place to evaluate trades. When you have sucessful sales manager who have managed over 20 years and have a system in place, it's very hard to adapt to an extra step in a process that really isn't broken. TIM is an extra process.

The 1st thing we learned is that if your relying on the "marketplace" leads, this system will not benefit you. market place leads go to every tom, dick and harry dealer. So a customer puts in for a Ford F150 and I'm a Honda dealer, I still get that lead and vice versa. If someone puts a lead in for a Honda Accord via the marketplace, than the Toyota dealer will get that lead also.

The only way to over come this is to send a link from your inventory and have a customer fill in the info and get a trade value. I had a customer do this today and here is what the reply was...

"The link says my car is worth $8,000 and I am looking to get closer to $10,000 so we might be talking just about the Odyssey. Please let me know if you want to talk further about the Acura and when you have the pricing on the Oddesy."​

Here is my reply. I ultimately made this sale for a new Odyssey.​

"As I mentioned the autotrader value is on the low side ( auction price). You will get more money since it is a vehicle we'll keep. However, if we can not agree, you have the ability to sell it yourself. At $8000 you pick up $480 in tax savings. If we hit $9000 in trade, you'll get and extra $540 ($9540) ... So were not as far off as you think."​

Here I am trying to have the system work, but it brought up an immediate objection.​

If you do this program, go all the way with it from the beginning. Put the logo on your site so that you get customers interested in your product. The marketplace leads have lead no where. My store has been reluctant to jump in " all the way".​

I have run multiple trade in's via TIM and every one was 5 to 8% less than we accually put in the vehicle.

If you want a peice of mind that you can sell the car to autotrader, than this program is a positive. If you have managers who know what there doing, than it may be an extra process your not willing to pay extra for.​

Last edited:
I just ran the car I traded in last week through the system to see what it would come back with. $2200 less than what the ACV was...... If I was a consumer and did that first, I would not go to any of the stores listed thinking that was the only number they would give me. There is nothing saying it could be more..

It listed a bunch of local dealers that would honor the price, AT must be making a bundle selling dealers on it....

2 weeks into TIM:

Min placement on the website. Image below the fold on the home page and a small square graphic like button on the new and used VDP linking to the TIM page framed into my dealers website.

Site gets on average 6k visitors a month. In the first 2 weeks we received 6 leads. Sold 1.

Week 3: Prime placement on the homepage above the fold linking to the framed-in page.

We are just starting to use the tool on the showroom floor.
Let's see what happens...