• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Better Integration Among Vendors

Gota get better integration done among vendors.

Especially for Inventory.

:iagree: ....and wish for it everyday. Should we enact some sort of data sharing policy within the automotive industry? I think there is a website already devoted to that cause. You can find a link to that in the comment string in an article I wrote about data integration on the DealerRefresh Blog.

In fact, I think you were the one who provided the link :thinker:

It is Open Secure Access: Home

Beware the aggregators, the data hounds. They embrace tools that can "carpet bomb" an industry and remove human interaction. What's left is an industry that is a shell of it's former self. If the used car industry embraces standards... gulp. There goes the neighborhood and I'm outta here.

Proof is everywhere.
Look how Expedia and Travelocity (etc.) totally commoditized the travel industry. A hybrid of old school and new school is evolving right now in the hotel industry.

God help us all if vAuto goes retail.

Joe

I don't see that happening. I base that on history here in Houston. Years ago in the '80s, an Olds dealer (Rice Menger Oldsmobile) long since gone, started that new concept of one price selling. He put his final price on the window of every new and used vehicle on the lot. It didn't work. Peope wanted to interact, they wanted to haggle and negotiate. I believe it's inherent in people's personality to get the best deal while being there.

I hope I am right on this, I would sure hate to think of it otherwise.

Jay Traylor
www.tracourt.com
www.carleadsonline.com
www.searchenginemanagers.com

I disagree, if a vendor with enough brain and pocket book power came to the plate with an online interactive solution it would fly. Based on peoples familiarity with Travelocity/Expedia, Amazon, eBay... on and on; the game has changed from a time in the 80's when an Olds dealer couldn't get away with an on the lot gimmick.

It would be exceptional to begin with and would only need to be reliable, consistent and trustworthy to be supported.

Peope wanted to interact, they wanted to haggle and negotiate. I believe it's inherent in people's personality to get the best deal while being there.

isn't Vast and Oodle already changing the face of online marketing.. I doubt that automotive would ever go the route of insurance or travel though.

re- original topic. I would like to see the following for a inventory...

1. Clear documentation at the office on who is responsible for inventory.
2. Data Access Policy
3. Guide lines on what information needs to be in the DMS.
4. Standard data fields for inventory