• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

BREAKING news! Carvana & Vroom is bleeding cash. Is Ecommerce in auto DOA?

Your optimism reminds me of the Tesla fan club forums.

"I know there are 1inch panel gaps, but the hood closes straight now"
"I know they're 6 months behind schedule, but did you notice that their one factory made enough parts on time?"

Haha, doubtful many of the "fan club" guys worked at Tesla for 2 1/2 years but I am a generally optimistic guy so sure take everything with a grain of salt.

Now that these online purchasing sites are failing, all we need to worry about at this point is Google Autos or Amazon Autos; both of which seem inevitable... That's when the real trouble will begin.

Both of those companies have been in the rumor mill for over 10 years. Microsoft was also supposed to come in and wreck the DMS space 20 years ago. Fully autonomous cars will be here by 2020 and all cars will be bought online by 2022.

I'm still looking for the flying Delorean I was promised in the 80s.

Hey as long as they get the rest of the industry to electric they've met their goal ;) Which is in fact happening.

My feelings are fairly simple on the subject.
Elon Musk is brilliant at technology and innovation, but not manufacturing.
He should have found a reliable manufacturing partner and gone that way.

Now everyone else is going to meet or exceed his technology and get it to market before him because he can't figure out how to build the cars on time or on spec.

I work in sales attribution, I'm starting to see a lot of on-site e-commerce tools / VDP touch points.
https://drivemotors.com, for instance. I see a good bit of them in the paths to actual sales.

xe8hNPH.jpg