• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

BREAKING news! Carvana & Vroom is bleeding cash. Is Ecommerce in auto DOA?

That does not look good at all!

The title thing is something that just really messes things up. I have often wondered how much time Auto Auctions spend trouble shooting title issues. Sure it is generally smooth, but do the issues outweigh the amount of effort and manpower required to put out the fires?

If there is a Manheim or Adesa employee in here, I would pose this question: What would happen if you stopped selling Title Absent? No title, no run number. That simple.
We just sold a car to a Carvana employee. Why didn't she want to buy from her employer? Because of the title issues, among other things she hears/sees being wrong with the company.

Carvana gets $1.6 billion junk bond offer from Apollo to help finance Adesa deal
Carvana raised nearly $3.3 billion through the junk bond sale, which will finance its acquisition of Adesa Inc.’s U.S. car-auction business and improvements across 56 of its sites.

Deep-Junk-Rated Carvana Gets $4.5 Billion from New Investors, after Shares Collapsed by 79%, Hoping the World Hasn’t Run out of Greater Fools Yet.
Carvana, which sells used cars online, is rated deep-junk, and has been losing a ton of money every year, even in the hottest used-car market ever, and whose shares collapsed by 79% from the peak in August last year, now needs to extract more cash from investors to fuel its cash-burn machine and to pay for the $2.2 billion acquisition of Adesa.

We believe these decisions, while extremely difficult, will result in Carvana restoring a better balance between its sales volumes and staffing levels and facilitate Carvana returning to efficient growth on its mission to change the way people buy and sell cars.

I wonder how many cars you need to sell to employ 20,800 people.

I wonder how many cars you need to sell to employ 20,800 people.
Carvana napkin math...

Carvana employs ~20,8000 employees and sold 425,237 cars last year.

425,237 cars
÷ 20,800 employees
----------
20 cars sold annually per employee
÷ 12 months
----------
= 1.7 cars sold monthly per employee

1.7 cars per month? Suddenly our 5 car Freds look pretty good!

Last edited: