• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Breaking-Up and Switching Vendors: The Story

Sharko

Hat Trick
Jun 25, 2012
First Name
Marko
8/10/12 UPDATE: I emailed my rep. today and he emailed me back right away and then the DDC Liaison emailed me telling me the information they need next. This is a great start.

The Ball: In my court.

DDC has emailed me the info. they need and are now waiting on me. I'm getting it together.

Days at this Status: 0

Days Since Signing: 2

================

8/9/12 UPDATE:
I confirmed that our paperwork has been received. I touched bases with my sales rep. today (who has to be highly commended for doing a great job during the extensive tire-kicking I did throughout the evaluation process), and was told that the next step is that I'll be contacted by a Production Liaison with DDC.

Apparently, this person will help with the "general production questions" that DDC needs answered prior initiating to the website production process. I asked and already received (from my rep.) a list of those questions so that I can get working on them. I received that list on 8/8/12 actually and am working on it now.

The Ball:In DDC's court.

Waiting for DDC Liaison to email me "general production questions".
Days at this Status: 1

Days Since Signing: 1

Because this post is to hopefully help other dealers planning on going through a vendor switch (it doesn't matter which vendors are involved), I'll share what I think is important from time to time.

The Registrant Lesson: - I dread this issue. For those who may not know what this is about, the Registrant is the person who owns your soul... well, maybe not that bad, but they control your URL.

When you spend your $9.99 a year or whatever to use your top level domain name (i.e. www.example.com) - somebody has to actually initiate that transaction with a company serving as a Registrar. Nobody ever "owns" their domain name; even Google doesn't own www.google.com. These domains are leased, from 1 to 10 years. So when that domain is leased, the person initiating that transactions put somebody down on the form as the de facto "owner", otherwise known as the Registrant. And the Registrant controls that domain name.

Many times (way to many in my opinion), the vendor puts themselves down as the Registrant. This is fine if the vendor will play ball when you break-up with them, not so much if they don't. If they want, they can hold your domain hostage. It happens less than it used to, but it still happens. I've heard vendors from many industries (not just cars) say, "Our clients want it this way. They don't want to be bothered with this technical stuff." There might be some, or even a lot of truth to that, but I still don't like it. There is not enough of a good reason in my book for a vendor to be the registrant for a customer's domain. The only "unless" I'll add is this: unless it is explicity stated in contract form that the domain will be transfered to whoever the dealership wants it transfered to, at any time, on demand, and that this is not dependent on any other aspect of the agreement. In other words, control your website's domain.

So, in our case, the vendor is the also the Registrant. This is a good company though, and I'm sure there won't be any problems at all - far from it. No, I'm making this point because it's an issue that somebody at every dealership should have their eye on and not everyone uses well established vendors. I still come across dealerships' websites and say, "Powered by who?" I'm going to take this opportunity to put the domain under the control of a dealership principal and put them down as the Registrant. Who is your website's domain Registrant? Do you know? (And I mean right as you read this, not by going and checking - lol.)

Here's a tip: Did you know that one part of Google's algorithm is not only how long the domain has been registered, but how long it is registered into the future? i.e. Registered until 2013 vs. 2020 makes a difference and every little bit helps. You can check your's here: http://www.internic.net/whois.html

================

8/8/12 UPDATE:
I’ve got to call Clickmotive / GS Marketing and have “the talk”. Hopefully, she’s picked up on my hints lately. She knows I’m not happy. I hope she doesn’t make a scene. She’s probably reading this.

================

(After this initial post, all UPDATES will be refreshingly short.)

WHAT: It’s simple, yo (I’ve been watching way too much Breaking Bad - lol): this serial-post will chronicle the process of switching website vendors from Clickmotive / GS Marketing to Dealer(dot)com.

I’ll keep peoples names out of it for the most part but will include lots of personal observations.

WHY: It’s amazing how many moving parts are involved in the evaluation, negotiation and implementation of a dealership website package; and that goes double when switching from one vendor to another (because of the simultaneously occurring engagement/disengagement processes.)

So, one important reason to write this is that I will need to take advantage of the Dealer Refresh brain-trust during this process.

Also, I hope to add some value to this roadmap for other dealers/ISMs in the future that are destined to go through a similar process themselves. Even if the players are different, the process may be relatable by all.

==========
BREAKING UP & BACK ON THE DATING SCENE
Start: The last week of June, 2012
End: 8/6/12

*This is the only part of this process that I’ll write about after-the-fact. The rest will be as-they-occur updates.

It’s funny how big things (like switching website vendors) can have seemingly innocuous and innocent beginnings. Mine was this: I wanted video on YouTube.

Specifically, I wanted to stream our used inventory videos to our YouTube channel. Our website package didn’t include video streaming, so I called Clickmotive Fusion Support.

On the phone, her (Clickmotive rep.) initial response was akin to: “Ok, I’ll send you a form to sign (aka: Agreement addendum) and you send me your YouTube username and password.” Whoa there. What’s the cost? “You know,” she said, “I’m going to put you in touch with a Senior Regional Sales Manager.” Alrighty, then.

So she followed through and I was pitched as you would expect. I received a PDF of add-on’s along with a list of prices and that was that.

Then I called Sister Technologies. Why? Because that’s apparently who provides this video functionality to Clickmotive’s Fusion tool. They sent me their own PDF of prices. I understand mark-up’s are a part of business, and Clickmotive is no different - their prices were slightly higher than Sister for the same product, and that was totally OK. Moreover, Sister T. even took any static about this out of the equation by saying, “You can just contract with us and we’ll integrate it with Clickmotive.” So I would be able to get the best price for streaming video to YouTube. I told them I’ll be in touch soon.

That call to Sister T. was the catalyst that launched the break-up; not because of anything that was said or not said, but because of this: I was in dating mode now. I wanted to see if I was dating below my level or if I could be doing better. Ok, I admit it, I wanted to see if I could trade-up. There - I said it. Was Clickmotive/GS Marketing holding me back? What else was out there? Did I really want to be dating again? What if I’m dateless during the holidays? (Ok, that last one was too much analogy, sorry, I’ll reel it in.)

I thought, “Hey, why don’t I just see what else is out there.”

We’re a Gulf States Toyota dealer so we have good reasons to stay with GST’s preferred website providers, and for us, that’s either Clickmotive/GS Marketing or Dealer(dot)com (DDC from now on)...

[Aside: Shortly into this process, Clickmotive told me, “You should be calling GS Marketing with your questions.” You see, GS Marketing is apparently a reseller (they use the term “partner”, which is fine) of Clickmotive’s Fusion product and they’re (GS Marketing) the ones we signed our initial contract with. Whew - that's a lot. So that’s the relationship and why I put those two together often.]

...so I called DDC, you know, “Let’s get to know each other.” I was on the prowl. That was on or about July 9th.

One month later, on 8/8/12, we signed with DDC.

But wait! You skipped the whole evaluation process, man! What gives? (My evaluation has lots of twists and turns and I don’t have the time today to write about it in the way I want to, but I will write about it later this week or next.) Basically, I wanted to start this post and since we signed with DDC today, I had to hurry.

Begin the conversion process.

*Posts are in reverse chronological order so go up to see more recent developments and goings-on.

Last edited:
Hey Sam, I will be very interested to hear how Dealer.com handles the redirects from your old site to your new site. Especially, those pages that are ranked in the search engines and driving traffic to your existing site. If not handled properly you can end up losing some organic traffic.

I am interested to see how this goes as well. I am in a similar situation with Click Motive and looking to move to Dealer.com, Vin or Dominion and I am in the process of getting quotes.

My reason for moving from click is a little different though, I am using Clickmotive through the Ford DealerConnection program for the Elite websites they offer. We just discovered Ford is marketing leads that get submitted from our new inventory pages. If the lead is not sold within 2 months Ford sends them a marketing message with links to find local dealers.

A lead that our marketing dollars produced getting hi-jacked by the manufacture obviously doesn’t sit well with us, so we are looking at other options now.

The other issue we have found recently is the support time to get changes taken care of on Clickmotive has slowed down. They just instituted a new ticketing system so that should help and overall we have been pretty happy with them.

I am interested to see how this goes as well. I am in a similar situation with Click Motive and looking to move to Dealer.com, Vin or Dominion and I am in the process of getting quotes.

My reason for moving from click is a little different though, I am using Clickmotive through the Ford DealerConnection program for the Elite websites they offer. We just discovered Ford is marketing leads that get submitted from our new inventory pages. If the lead is not sold within 2 months Ford sends them a marketing message with links to find local dealers.

A lead that our marketing dollars produced getting hi-jacked by the manufacture obviously doesn’t sit well with us, so we are looking at other options now.

The other issue we have found recently is the support time to get changes taken care of on Clickmotive has slowed down. They just instituted a new ticketing system so that should help and overall we have been pretty happy with them.

Wow that's really messed up, I'd be pretty upset.. Would be even more angry if they were re-selling those leads. Thankfully not with any brands that do that.

Hey Sam, I will be very interested to hear how Dealer.com handles the redirects from your old site to your new site. Especially, those pages that are ranked in the search engines and driving traffic to your existing site. If not handled properly you can end up losing some organic traffic.

I'll ask about that, Joey and get back to you here. Thanks for putting the idea in my head.

Are you in the evaluation stage with any of them or just getting prices?

We just discovered Ford is marketing leads that get submitted from our new inventory pages. If the lead is not sold within 2 months Ford sends them a marketing message with links to find local dealers.

Are you benefiting from this vis a vis getting leads from other dealers who have to play by the same rules? What I mean is: Is it coming out in the wash or is it you getting hosed?

I know Clickmotive has made some changes recently - and in our case, the ship had already left the dock. But you may find they can still serve your needs. One of the biggest reasons I liked DDC is because of their platform's architecture; at least as much of it as I can glean during a evaluation process. As, kcar I think, noted before (could have been someone else) Clickmotive is built through .aspx, which has its own issues. But hey, irrespective of the ticketing improvements or whatever, you're not going to escape that lead problem unless you split - yeah?

Are you in the evaluation stage with any of them or just getting prices?

We are in evaluation, the adaptive product manager over at dominion showed me the back end of the new adaptive platform and it is pretty sweet. They can even open up the css programming if you are knowledgeable enough to use it and there is a lot of built in layout control if you so desire. It's a little tough with them because they don't actually have a final product to view yet. All the new sites are in staging areas and are in different levels of completion. One area yet to be seen is what the final vehicle details page will look like on the finished product. I am told it will be similar to the XIGroup inventory pages but with responsive designs naturally.
They also have a lot of features that they say are a 3 to 9 weeks out. Integration of manufacture rebates like AIS, using Homenet's new API for instant vehicle feeds, universal inventory search etc. But I can't really figure those things are actually part of the product because I have been down the "Oh sure that's a feature we are adding in the next couple months" line with Dominion before (Cough Cough AUTOBASE Cough Cough). But Sean over there gives a pretty compelling argument and says he as the ability to fast track requests and are pushing out highest requested updates on a regular basis.

I really like Dealer as well but you are pretty familiar with what they have to offer. The inventory pages are very polished which I like and they already have universal search. For a Ford dealer the factory incentives are too weak because the F150's rebates are configured by Make, Model, Trim, Style and Engine. And they only show the Make Model and Trim. Pretty much my only complaint so far. And the V9 platform now allows much more customization.

Are you benefiting from this vis a vis getting leads from other dealers who have to play by the same rules? What I mean is: Is it coming out in the wash or is it you getting hosed?

Well if other dealers are using the Ford sites exclusively that would be true, but most do not. We switched because at the time Lincoln ad compliance was (and still is) a nightmare and they were making us separate our Ford inventory from Lincoln completely but the Elite site from Ford did not require it, after we switched they came out with the requirement of two separate websites for combo Ford Lincoln dealers. In any case we pay about 600 for the base fees of both of those required sites a month regardless if we use them or not so we saw it as a way to manage everything in one place without duplicating expenses. The base sites are pretty much unusable though so we upgraded both to Elite which ads $699 and $399 to the base price. Most Ford dealers just pretend they don’t have the base sites and purchase 3rd party, although many of the combo Lincoln dealers are using it for Lincoln because they guarantee its compliant...as long as you don't like to brand yourself in any way.

I know Clickmotive has made some changes recently - and in our case, the ship had already left the dock. But you may find they can still serve your needs. One of the biggest reasons I liked DDC is because of their platform's architecture; at least as much of it as I can glean during a evaluation process. As, kcar I think, noted before (could have been someone else) Clickmotive is built through .aspx, which has its own issues. But hey, irrespective of the ticketing improvements or whatever, you're not going to escape that lead problem unless you split - yeah?

Yeah, primarily it is the lead problem (For the owners the nightmare upgrade on Homenet a few months ago along with the fact there was no back end inventory tool on the website to fix the homenet feed issues which would take a couple days to feed at the time, and the slow clickmotive support, this lead issue I think was the straw)

Last edited:
Yeah, primarily it is the lead problem (For the owners the nightmare upgrade on Homenet a few months ago along with the fact there was no back end inventory tool on the website to fix the homenet feed issues which would take a couple days to feed at the time, and the slow clickmotive support, this lead issue I think was the straw)

If you don't see any alternatives, you might very well end up switching website vendors soon. I would say to make sure, though; have a compelling reason to switch. You have a reason, and even reasons, but do they create a unified compelling reason?

I ask that question because switching website vendors in our industry is... well, it's a project, to say the least. I might be saying more than that as I move along my own conversion - which started yesterday. But yeah, shop around, and see if a compelling reason makes you say, "Ok, let's do this." Good luck.