• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Can too many Vehicle Photos be a bad thing?

Ed,

Just because you use a feed instead of a scraping technique your site doesn't become validated.

I don't want to discuss Vast's business model, it is not my place to discuss so I'm generally stating the following:

Using dealer's data without a direct agreement for each site should be illegal. The data is used to generate leads via long tail indexing or networks outside the dealer's reach to generate leads than are sold to companies that in turn sell them back to the dealers.

On one hand you can take this as a positive; Vast has a private network with a defined audience, they generate leads with the dealer's inventory, the dealer has the opportunity to buy those.

On the other hand you can take it as a negative; Vast is getting leads out of the market that otherwise would have found me via my advertising and I would have gotten that customer.

Are these networks thinning down my ability to be relevant?

I don't know the answer to that but at least I advocate that the dealer should be the one making the choice.
I agree with you Yago - the dealer should be the one making the choice. Many, dare I say most, dealers choose the wide exposure that comes from these marketplaces, but there is some possible trade-off in terms of control. So I could re-frame the question and ask, do you want limited exposure with complete control or do you want much broader exposure and (possibly) a little less control? That is question every dealer must ask him/herself.

I don't speak for Vast and I don't pretend to, but from my understanding most reputable inventory syndication services will ask if you want your inventory syndicated across these networks and dealers have knowingly opted in - in order to gain the no cost exposure. Signing up individually for hundreds of sites would be silly and time consuming. But again dealers make a choice and they can always opt out if they change their mind.

I agree with you Yago - the dealer should be the one making the choice. Many, dare I say most, dealers choose the wide exposure that comes from these marketplaces, but there is some possible trade-off in terms of control. So I could re-frame the question and ask, do you want limited exposure with complete control or do you want much broader exposure and (possibly) a little less control? That is question every dealer must ask him/herself.

I don't speak for Vast and I don't pretend to, but from my understanding most reputable inventory syndication services will ask if you want your inventory syndicated across these networks and dealers have knowingly opted in - in order to gain the no cost exposure. Signing up individually for hundreds of sites would be silly and time consuming. But again dealers make a choice and they can always opt out if they change their mind.

Ed,

Great point;

Wide exposure VS Control

I do think that the market has been refined to the point of offering negligent exposure and the control is 100% away. The digital 3rd party sites were dominated by just very few websites on the top taking all the budget, dealers refused to pay Yahoo $299-399/month 5-6 years ago when they had they Yahoo Autos program leaving no choice but to look for alternative business models.