1. Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

Cargurus, Please tell me how this benefits your customer (aka... The Dealer)????

Discussion in 'Websites, SEO, SEM, Display, Social, Marketing' started by Rick Buffkin, Nov 21, 2017.

This forum sponsored by...
  1. Baron Ringler

Baron Ringler
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Baron
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Planet Honda

2. This forum sponsored by...
  3. Steve Stauning

Steve Stauning
    Expand Collapse
    Jr. Refresher

First Name:
    Steve
    Dealer or Company Name:
    pladoogle, LLC
    Kind of funny how the Big 3 classifieds are looking beyond the traditional dealer. Shaking them down for higher fees, while getting into bed with (and skewing the game for) non-brick-and-mortar operations (or worse, investing in startups that will bypass the dealer network completely).

It's also kind of funny how many industry consultants who claim to have dealers' bests interests at heart are completely silent on this phenomenon. I suppose if they didn't depend on the Big 3 (and the snake oil sellers in the industry) to sponsor their events, they might actually have a meaningful opinion.

4. Dan Sayer

Dan Sayer
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Dan
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Anderson Auto Group, LLC
    Twitter Handle:
    @whostheman_dan
    Shoppers are looking past the traditional dealer. No one is shaking down anyone, Steve. A dealer can choose where they spend their money. I'm going to spend money where the eyeballs are, so I am paying two of the big three (and I've negotiated lower fees) to get my cars in-front of those eyeballs. What startups are they investing in that will bypass the dealer network completely? In your professional opinion, what stand should a dealer take? Drop classified?

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    • Like Like x 1
  5. joe.pistell

joe.pistell
    Expand Collapse
    Uncle Joe

First Name:
    Joe
    Twitter Handle:
    JoePistell
    The winds of change continue to come to us all. Carvana/Vroom, Digital Retailing and more. Let's face it, it's the shopper that is way ahead of our industry, pushing us into a new world that THEY WANT.

These quotes popped out to me...
    My thoughts:
    • The majority of car shoppers are undecided and they WANT a dealership/test drive experience to make a decision. Carvana can't compete here.
    • Carvana has been a catalyst of change, but Local Dealers who have great operations will now compete with Carvana. As I reflect, Carvana has the most to lose in this scenario.
    • Carvana's prices are not all that low*
    • It's more than price, think: BRAND BRAND BRAND. Dealers who want to break into selling via delivery will have far greater success when they dive deeply into communicating who they are and why it matters.
    • All the marketplaces will be offering long distance sales to local dealers. It's up to the marketplaces to clean up the chaos that we see now that so confuses shoppers and dealers. Look for this to change quickly.

*I went to CarGurus to compare the 'inventory pricing profiles' of Carvana vs Hi-performing Local dealer Dolan Automotive Group.
    Google Search for Carvana locations
    https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/m-Dolan-Toyota-sp174494

Carvana, Atlanta. 10% of inventory at Good or Great Deal.
    upload_2019-10-3_9-28-44.png

Dolan Toyota, Reno. 44% of inventory at Good or Great Deal.
    upload_2019-10-3_9-31-27.png

p.s. Will EbayMotors make a come back? ;-)

#104 joe.pistell, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  6. joe.pistell

joe.pistell
    Expand Collapse
    Uncle Joe

First Name:
    Joe
    Twitter Handle:
    JoePistell
    This is a recent interview among 2 automotive all stars (Paul J Daly & our Kevin Frye). This discussion offers us all insights into the Carvana/Vroom disruption from a progressive CMO’s P.O.V.

(vid starts at Carvana discussion)

Summary: Carvana et al are a positive catalyst for change, and, the real challenge for our dealers is to master internal workflow (i.e. speed the sales process).

7. Rick Buffkin

Rick Buffkin
    Expand Collapse
    Sausage King of Chicago

First Name:
    Rick
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Beaman Automotive Group
    CG!!!!! Why would you include another dealers listing in the email communication from our sales rep to the customer after the customer inquired about one of our vehicles on the CG website.

upload_2019-10-8_18-1-59.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. reverson

reverson
    Expand Collapse
    Jr. Refresher

First Name:
    Ryan
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Garber Automotive Group
    I wanted to take a moment to praise CarGurus on some improvements they recently made to their Dealer Pricing Tool.

Whether or not you agree with the premise of their deal rating algorithm, the addition of the dollar amounts needed to move to the next deal rating category are a welcome addition. Before it took a lot of precise sliding to figure out the tipping point of the next deal rating category, now it's easily notated right above the slider.

cargurus slider.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1