• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Cargurus, Please tell me how this benefits your customer (aka... The Dealer)????

CarGurus Dealer Services Agreement. If you could sum up the text below into two or three sentences, What would they be??

DEALER SERVICES AGREEMENT TERMS AND CONDITIONS

CarGurus, Inc. and its affiliates (“CarGurus”) operates the website www.cargurus.com (together with any related mobile sites and/or applications, the “Website”). These terms and conditions govern the relationship between CarGurus and each automobile dealer (each, a “Dealer”) whose Inventory Data (as defined below) is posted to the Website.

Terms and Conditions

1. Inventory Data License. Dealer grants to CarGurus a perpetual, worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free, transferable, sub-licenseable, non-exclusive license to access, edit, store, distribute, use, copy, display, transmit, broadcast, make available, adapt, prepare derivative works of, and otherwise use the Inventory Data, and for unlimited and unrestricted access, printing and use by end users who access the Inventory Data through the Website (“Users”). “Inventory Data” means information and images relating to new vehicles and used vehicles made available to CarGurus by Dealer directly or through an intermediary, including, but not limited to, vehicle identification number, make, model, year, location, vehicle description (trim, specifications, mileage, etc.), price, comments, and photographs and other imagery. CarGurus reserves the right to edit or reject any Inventory Data or portion thereof from display on the Website in its sole discretion and without notice to Dealer. Dealer acknowledges that CarGurus is a website provider and is not responsible for the Dealer’s Inventory Data, unless explicitly stipulated by applicable law. Dealer shall be solely responsible, at its own risk and expense, for (and CarGurus shall have no liability in connection with) ensuring the accuracy, legality and integrity of the Inventory Data provided to CarGurus. Dealer will immediately inform CarGurus if Dealer becomes aware of illegal contents in its Inventory Data in accordance with applicable law. CarGurus may exclude or remove Dealer any portion of Inventory Data from the Website for no reason or for any reason, including if CarGurus determines, in its sole discretion, that the inventory prices or content do not conform with these terms and conditions or CarGurus’ Guidelines for Dealer Pricing and Marketing, which can be found at http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/DealerPricingPolicy.html.
  2. Representations and Warranties. Dealer represents, warrants and covenants that: (i) it acts in its commercial capacity with respect to these Terms and Conditions and that it is not a consumer; (ii) it has the requisite right and authority to grant the license referred to in Section 1 above, including all necessary right and authority in the text, photographs and other imagery included in the Inventory Data; (iii) it hereby waives, and has ensured that all authors of the Inventory Data have previously waived, for the benefit of CarGurus and its successors, assigns and licenses, all rights to any intellectual property related to the Inventory Data arising under the applicable law and, as far as is legally possible, any broadly equivalent rights Dealer and such authors may have in any territory of the world; (iv) its Inventory Data complies with all applicable laws and regulations; (v) it shall comply with all applicable laws, regulations, ordinances, its privacy policy and CarGurus’ instructions in connection with its receipt, collection, transfer, protection, disclosure, processing or use of any information provided by or on behalf of CarGurus to or forth the benefit of Dealer regarding a User (each, a “Lead”), including, without limitation, any federal, state or local data protection act, and any similar or subsequent legislation governing the collection, use, disclosure, other processing and protection of personal information, and any consumer protection, ecommerce and telemedia legislation; (vii) it shall not disclose, sell, lease, transfer or otherwise provide any Lead information to any third party, or use any Lead information to transmit or otherwise provide spam, junk mail or direct marketing in connection with goods or services offered by a third party; and (viii) it has and will maintain at all times during which its Inventory Data is posted to the Website all registrations, licenses and permits required under applicable laws to act as a dealer and/or buy, sell or lease vehicles. Dealer represents, warrants and covenants that with respect to any Lead obtained from CarGurus it shall: (a) provide at least the same level of data protection as is required by applicable law and regulation and as is standard in Dealer’s industry; (b) process such User data only and solely for the purpose of selling and marketing Dealer products to such User. Dealer acknowledges and agrees that Dealer may need a separate, informed and explicit consent of a User and/or additional legal safeguards to protect a User’s data under certain circumstances, including if Dealer sends a User the information on a product other than the product associated with the relevant Lead or other advertisement materials and/or processes, stores or accesses such User’s personal data outside of the User’s domestic jurisdiction. In no event will CarGurus be responsible for any action or omission by Dealer and/or Dealer’s employees, subcontractors, representatives, agents or the like in Dealer’s processing, storage, transmission or use of User data or Leads.
  3. Indemnification. Dealer shall, at its own expense and on demand, indemnify, defend, and hold CarGurus and its affiliates and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, legal representatives, agents, contractors, licensees, successors and assigns (the “CarGurus Indemnitees”), harmless from and against any and all judgments, settlements, awards, demands, claims, damages, costs, losses and/or liabilities of any kind (including reasonable legal fees and other litigation costs), in connection with any third-party claims or regulatory enforcement actions alleging that the Inventory Data or the use by CarGurus thereof infringes or otherwise violates a third party’s intellectual property, contractual or other proprietary rights, including the rights of publicity and privacy, or violates any law or regulation. In connection with the foregoing indemnification obligation, Dealer may not accept any settlement that does not provide the CarGurus Indemnitees with a complete release or that imposes liability not covered by these indemnifications or places restrictions on the CarGurus Indemnitees without CarGurus’ prior written consent. The CarGurus Indemnitees may in their sole discretion participate in the defense of any claim through their own counsel, and at their own expense.
  4. Effective Date, Term and Termination. These terms and conditions have effect from when CarGurus first receives Inventory Data from or for the benefit of Dealer and continues until all obligations under these terms and conditions have been fulfilled. CarGurus has the right to stop receiving and posting Inventory Data from or for the benefit of Dealer at any time.
  5. Miscellaneous. These terms and conditions are for the benefit of CarGurus and its affiliates, successors, assigns and licensees. Dealer may not assign any of its rights hereunder without the prior written consent of CarGurus. Any assignment by Dealer in violation of the foregoing shall be null, void and of no effect. Except as otherwise provided herein, these terms and conditions shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The parties agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Middlesex County, Massachusetts as regards any claim or matter arising out of or in relation to this Agreement (without reference to its conflict-of-laws principles). Any notice required or permitted hereunder to the parties hereto shall be deemed to have been duly given to CarGurus only if in writing and delivered by registered mail, postage prepaid and return receipt requested, or via express international courier, to CarGurus, Inc., Attn: Legal Department, 2 Canal Park, Cambridge, MA 02141. Notices shall be deemed delivered when received by the party being notified.

Reactions: Matt Holman
@yagoparamo I get it and in most cases you're right. I just find it ironic that they use the term "Partnership" in their "Why choose Cargurus" page and video when referring to their relationship with dealers and their Dealer Services Agreement is outlined like it is.

I don't think it matters though. Dealers are still gonna be like....

ArjdtMM3S12UYWwr2FsU

Reactions: john.quinn
How long has this been happening? I noticed it yesterday.

f0d8c548a3619291279cce1468d12e5a.jpg

Brian, it's been happening for quite some time now and as far as I'm concerned it's not right because just about ALL dealers are willing to ship vehicles to anywhere within the States. This is the first I've seen a traditional dealer be able to offer this. It's usually Carvana and Vroom inventory scattered throughout the search results, 100's of miles away- because they "deliver". Cars.com does this too.

I'd like to know how our dealer can become an "online dealer" as well.

Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 11.48.17 AM.png 2019-10-01_11-52-00.jpg

Last edited:
Brian, it's been happening for quite some time now and as far as I'm concerned it's not right because just about ALL dealers are willing to ship vehicles to anywhere within the States. This is the first I've seen a traditional dealer be able to offer this. It's usually Carvana and Vroom inventory scattered throughout the search results, 100's of miles away- because they "deliver". Cars.com does this too.

I'd like to know how our dealer can become an "online dealer" as well.

View attachment 4322 View attachment 4323
I looked into this a few months back for a friend of mine that owns a large Ford dealer in FL. . email from rep following my phone call inquiry with CG. Not sure if this pricing is still accurate but this was in addition to the existing subscription the dealer has with CG. Hope this helps!

Hi Heather,

Thank you for your time today. I wanted to follow up with pricing on both a 250 mile radius on your dealership and the whole state of Florida if you are interested in our Free Delivery Program

250 mile radius of your dealership: $1,600/month

Whole State of Florida: $1,950/month

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: joe.pistell
@Rick Buffkin again I don't disagree with you, but you are mad at the way most (all?) big corps work.

The word "partnership" is completely misused in a B2B relationship but not less than the word/s "we treat you like family" used by many dealerships as well as many other slogans.

My point is that while all of these cases truly a ridiculous example of how we create false connections between companies (at the end it is the dollar that matters for most large corporations) but these are not examples of Cargurus mistreating dealers in some new ways.

It is not that I don't believe the business world couldn't be better but that there is a scalability problem, a company like Cargurus with 1000's of dealers has to have some pretty deep and well defines lines of interaction with the dealers.