• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Cargurus reviews

SlickRick

Full Sticker
Mar 11, 2010
First Name
Rick
Hey guys,

I just noticed customers leaving reviews on my dealership profile page on Cargurus but what I don't understand is if these are real customers and if they are who is prompting them to leave a review and how are they leaving a review?

I have reasons to believe that some of those customers might not be real customers.

Im curious if anyone understands the Cargurus dealer rating system.

Thank you

I actually went to a lunch meeting with a few dealers and the guys from CarGurus. I learned a TON watching and listening to the founder field no holds barred questions. As a person that fought hard to get my cars offthe site and felt violated, the meeting was very positive and eye opening. My dealership only has 1 review on their site and it is very poor. I have been unable to connect it to a real customer, so this was a point in which I was personally interested.

The ability to leave reviews is reserved for those who have sent a lead through the CarGurus website. As I recall from the talk, they are allowing dealers with verified accounts to reply or are trying to move in that direction. Sean Peoples has been very responsive to dealers (he’s also VP of sales). His desk line is 617two34five526.

Hi Rick and Kelly,

Thanks for chiming in on our behalf, Kelly, it was a pleasure meeting you a couple weeks ago.

We're always more than happy to look into reviews for any dealer. If its not real, we don't want it on the site either. As Kelly points out we don't allow anyone to just come on the site and review a dealer, they have to have submitted a lead. We don't require that they have actually purchased a car from you, but as long as they have experienced shopping with you, we feel that their feedback is valid. I know that does mean that they might not be a true customer of yours, but we actually have a ton of reviews that say "We didn't buy the car, but I would totally recommend this dealer".

We do allow dealers to respond to a review if we verify it and you still want to chime-in, but it is still pretty manual. Feel free to call me directly (that is my direct line that Kelly posted), or e-mail me at my first name at CarGurus.com

- Sean