• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Cars at the Mall and SOCIAL MEDIA

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
OK DealerRefreshers - I need your help, ideas and advise.

We have several vehicles going on display at our local Mall. Rather having vehicle just sitting there with a window sticker and a "come visit us at Younger Toyota" banner - I want to engage people that are looking at the vehicles while possibly tying it into a something "Social".

text-to-give.jpg

Some ideas I'm throwing around...

1. QR Code scan dropping the customer on either our mobile website or facebook page to "like" us.

2. Text to: txt Toyota to 44444 for for your FREE $25.00 gift card when you test drive this vehicle. Just show the text confirmation on your phone when you arrive!

3. Take a photo of yourself standing in front of this Toyota - make a funny face or thumbs up or your best "model" pose (something) and be entered to win a $$ Gift Card or something...

From there I want them to "Like" us and post the photo to our wall and be entered to win a $$ Gift Card or something...not sure if you can do this from a mobile device tho.

These are just a few ideas I have. I hate the fact that we have vehicles sitting in the Mall while not taking the opportunity to engage the traffic, and make it fun and memorable.

Any suggestions?

facebook_photopost.jpg

Your Option #1: QR code --
This is a really good one and I would put it into the mix no matter what. You could get your Facebook page QR code, for instance.

Your Option #2: Texting --
I have found that people are very shy about text message marketing with dealerships because they're afraid they'll be hit with "textspam".

Your Option #3: Photo Submission promotion
I like this too. Here's what I've learned about this type of thing on Facebook. You're right, they won't be able to upload the photo to your page from their mobile device. So I would use the QR code (or just your URL) to help them find the page and Like it when they are near the car.

Also, be sure to state that uploading the photo is not a condition of entry in the contest for the Gift Card (that's a violation of FB's TOS, although not many dealers follow this rule.)

I think tying an "old school" marketing play with social is a great idea and I bet you'll get a lot of additional traction out of it. While you're at it, why don't you have a page on your FB page telling people about the car and where it is, etc? That would be great cross-marketing.

You know, Jeff, I just looked and Younger has their business page set-up as a personal profile. I'm betting this is something that was already in place when you came on board, huh? It's really limiting in terms what you can do with the page.

Anyway, there's my two cents.

Good stuff Mike. Thanks for the suggestions!

Also - we do have a Page - Younger Toyota | Facebook

I need to delete the personal account but it's tied to the Fan Page so I'm afraid to delete it since the Page was created in this person account. I have not had the time to read up on how to get this done. Not to go off topic but if you're in the Know How - letmeknow!

This probably isn't the answer you are looking for but, the "guest drive" feature creates great traffic and awesome word of mouth. In DealerMine, you can set up customers that qualify for a guest drive when their vehicle hits a certain mileage or years. You have your Coordinator who books the service appointment position it like this: "Ok Mr. Customer, I have booked you in for your service appointment for tomorrow at 9:00am. I notice that you qualify for a feedback program we are running. We have a few new models, and we are looking some feedback from our customers. When you come in for your appointment, you can take one of the vehicles to your home or place of business. Someone will go with you to bring the vehicle back. When we call you to follow up on your service visit, we will ask you a couple of questions about the vehicle. How does that sound?"

Depending on your demographic, it is very successful. You want to be careful however, sending your rock star sales person, because the point is to plant the seed and create great word of mouth.

I know you were looking for more "social" ideas, but I hope you find this useful anyway.

Great post by the way! I am looking forward to reading them when they start coming in.

Terrilyn Creary
DealerMine Inc

Sure, I can tell you exactly how to do this, it's very easy:

1) Sign-into Facebook from 2 different browsers from 2 different accounts.

a) One of the accounts will be the one with the existing personal profile (Younger Toyota). We'll call this PROFILE A.
b) The other will be from your personal profile (or whatever). PROFILE B.
c) Both have to be personal profiles.

2) From PROFILE B, make sure you "Like" the Younger Toyota Facebook Page.
3) From PROFILE A, (I'm assuming this personal profile is an admin. of the Page) find yourself using the "XXX People Like This" on the FB PAGE and make yourself an admin of that Facebook Page.
4) Now you, PROFILE B, are an admin. of the page.
5) MAKE SURE you are an admin. of the page: From PROFILE B: FB Home > Ads and Pages > Pages
5) From PROFILE B, delete "Younger Toyota" as an admin. of that page.
6) From PROFILE A, self-delete any groups that this profile started. (This is tricky so hopefully there aren't any. If there are, let me know and I'll walk you though it.)
7) You now have full control over the page as an admin. and it is linked to PROFILE B.
8) Lastly, delete Profile A.

I put every little step in to be clear, however, the main point is to make another person an admin. of the FB Page and then you can 86 the original personal profile. Hope this helps.

Love it Jeff! One thing I will mention that is overlooked, make sure the cars are cleaned. I've gone to malls and airports and have seen cars that are so dusty that people write their names on them. Make sure you arrange daily dusting and that somebody checks to make sure it's getting done.

OK DealerRefreshers - I need your help, ideas and advise.

1. QR Code scan dropping the customer on either our mobile website or facebook page to "like" us.

^This

I call it the "Help me Obi-Won Kenobi, your my only hope..." QR Code, Knock Your Customers Socks Off Plan. Close your eyes and picture this scenario.....

There sits your dealership's vehicle all alone at the mall, just begging for some attention. Sure, plenty of passersby stop and look at the window sticker, or press their noses against the glass to catch a glimpse of the poorly lit interior. But is that really enough to inspire them to do anything more than look? Probably not.

Now imagine this: As a consumer meanders by the vehicle, they notice this particular car has a bunch of weird, blocky looking, black & white boxes on them. This draws their curiosity and upon closer inspection, they see that there is a sign on the windshield directing them to download a QR Reader for their smart phone. The message promises this is quick and easy to do and well worth the effort, so they break out their iDroidBerry, navigate to the app store and get the appropriate QR Code Reader.

Anxious to try out this new gizzmo, the customer scans their very first QR Code, and what should appear on their screen? You guessed it, Princess Leia...errrr...your hand picked Sales Professional, standing in front of that very car in that very mall, poised to introduce the customer to the vehicle, the dealersship & the various QR codes.

"Thank you Mr. Customer for taking the time to scan this bar code. My name is John Thompson, and I am one of the Sales Professionals at ABC Motors. You'll notice there are quite a few of these QR codes strategically placed on the vehicle. Each code has been programmed to give you specific information relating to that area of the vehicle. I'd encourage you to take your time and scan all of the QR codes you can and if you need further assistance, call us directly at (555) 555-5555"...(or whatever you deem acceptable for an intro).

The videos are something you could have a ton of fun with (think genie in a bottle) or play more straight forward, depending on the sensibilities of your people & management.

For the codes themselves, I'd place a larger one on the hood to grab attention and give instructions and then others around the vehicle to emphasize points just like you would a traditional walk-around. Heck, I'd even put one on the Window Sticker that shows them Specials for that Vehicle and a More Info Form for a Lead Capture opportunity.

In a mall setting, I truly think this would garner attention and build curiosity. If you walk by a car, and see 1 or 2 people holding their phones out and scanning various parts, that's going to draw others in to get a closer look as to what's going on. It would not be unreasonable to suggest that this crowd would build upon itself and before you knew it, the car is surrounded by people with their phones out. It will create a conversation right then and there, and give the consumer something memorable about your brand that they'll be able tell their friends about.

Now of course, you need to have the right people in the video and the right kind of presentation. Your standard run of the mill, all over YouTube, walk-around isn't going to keep anyone's attention. It needs to be different and engaging to get that person to scan the next code, and the next one, and the next one, etc.

It sounds good in theory, and if you have the people & resources to make it happen, I just gave you my million dollar idea for free. Don't F$%& it up. :)

I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Hey Jeff,

Perfect opportunity for you to jump on the Location Based Marketing movement. Couple quick ideas:

Have people post their pictures to CarZar (Using either the iPhone App or the Web App) Those using the iPhone app can also post their location to Foursquare or Gowalla, plus Facebook & Twitter via the API's within the app.

I'm testing several different promotions and would love to help you with a short test run; I can make you a custom badge for either the vehicle or the dealership name. This virtual scavenger hunt engages the consumer and helps the dealership with deeper interaction and brand sharing with an final reward to the participant. (Whatever you choose)

Or...

Have people use Foursquare or Gowalla (two of the most active macro LBS platforms) to check-in and post their pics.

This is part of the reason why I created CarZar, to create a community around this type of targeted activity.

Unfortunately, niche activity like this within the macro-platforms such as Foursquare & Gowalla are being lost in the shuffle...I've got over 70 automotive related badges within the CarZar platform already.

Let me know...glad to help ya man.

Now of course, you need to have the right people in the video and the right kind of presentation. Your standard run of the mill, all over YouTube, walk-around isn't going to keep anyone's attention. It needs to be different and engaging to get that person to scan the next code, and the next one, and the next one, etc.

It sounds good in theory, and if you have the people & resources to make it happen, I just gave you my million dollar idea for free. Don't F$%& it up. :)

I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Jason, love the idea. I was thinking of how to integrate video into this as well.

Like you say - " have the people & resources to make it happen". At this point I might be on a tighter time frame to pull this off. However, we often place our vehicle in the mall. I'll beat this idea around for future use.

Damn - I guess I need to finally invest in a backdrop/green screen and a teleprompter.

Keep the ideas coming!!