• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Cars.com Followup Emails With Other Dealers Inventory

I know dealers have been used to control; controlling the process, controlling the data, controlling the customer...

I hear where you are coming from.

Dealers need to be more transparent and less controlling. However, we have been very transparent, and are working toward even more transparency and we do a LOT of give and take with our customers.

Someone posting that our price is a bad deal, or that our car has been sold, that company or any company that supports them and feeds them are not being very transparent. In fact they lie.

Please send that memo about transparency and control to Cars.com and their buddies down at cargurus.com. I've tried but they won't listen to lil ol me.

I agree with most of your points but disagree on the point that it is about cars.com. It is about cars.com - at this moment.

Are others doing it? Of course. Does that excuse Cars? Hell no!

Of the two main players in the classified automotive space, it appears that the more egregious of the two against dealers is cars.com. The other one should get a spanking too, but to my knowledge they do not farm out inventory that gets fed back into your crm as their lead like cars.com does with cargurus and web2carz.com sites, and they didn't send our prospects emails to prospects enticing them to visit competitor inventories. And they don't claim SRPs and VDPs that come from other sites (again, to my knowledge).

By making an example to the most offensive of the two giants, small and mid-sized dealers make a bold statement to "watch your ass, and don't take us for granted" to any other would be abusers.

I've already started a conversation with our AT rep (and at the AT booth at DD14) about how much of a slap in the face it is to have competing companies on our VDP for financing and how F&I are what helps keep us profitable and keeps the doors open. Cars.com goes a step further and quotes rate and payment from Roadwhores.

I told our cars.com reps in an email that what they are doing is equivalent to us placing a full page ad in a newspaper, who then distributes that same ad to their sister newspapers with boxes next to our inventory photos with text that says "Bad Deal" and then they place a box on the ad that says "Finance your next car with Roadwhores with rates of 1.9 - it is a better option for you than getting financed at the dealership".

I wrote that and much much more in my cancellation email to cars.

Steve,

The reason why I say this shouldn't be about Cars.com is because it narrows an issue that should be fixed at once. "Fixing" Cars.com feed arrangement will not solve much of the problem. There are many other sites using your inventory without affiliation to Cars.com or Autotarder.com.

I have learned long time ago that "making examples" by chastising people or companies doesn't work very well. Creating awareness about a global issue for the business and starting a conversation with the payers will yield faster and longer lasting results. I'm not a teacher and this is not high school anymore.

And in the end the conversation ends up on topics like you and Ed are discussing: Who owns what?, what is copyright?, etc. You can put all the legal disclaimers that you want, but how are you going to enforce this? You couldn't enforce this even if the company was next to your dealer worst of the company is in Malaysia (good luck!).

Looks like a "if you can't beat 'em join 'em" kind of thing then.

Perhaps we should make hundreds of feeds, SEO the hell of them for our local area, and taint all of our competitors cars as "bad deal", "sold", etc.

Toss that transparency and honesty thing right out the window, this is 2013 and the war is on.

Looks like a "if you can't beat 'em join 'em" kind of thing then.

Perhaps we should make hundreds of feeds, SEO the hell of them for our local area, and taint all of our competitors cars as "bad deal", "sold", etc.

Toss that transparency and honesty thing right out the window, this is 2013 and the war is on.

In order to beat them you must act seriously.

Beat Cars.com and they will stop the feed to Cargurus. Do you think that will put Cargurus (or others) our of business?

In order to beat them you must act seriously.

Beat Cars.com and they will stop the feed to Cargurus. Do you think that will put Cargurus (or others) our of business?

Who ever said I wanted anyone to put out of business? Obviously I was being a little facetious about throwing up hundreds of feed sites to denigrate our competitors inventories ala cargurus.com - you didn't really take me seriously on that note did you?

And by the way, do you (or anyone else participating here) happen have any solutions to offer for this and related issues?

I'm all ears.

Interesting to note that Joe Pistell addressed the whole Cars.com, CarGurus issue THREE YEARS AGO in this forum thread... Used Cars - CarGurus.com

Interesting. I've seen another thread that was nearly 3 years old on this topic as well.

And yet nothing was done. The perpetrators are still perpetrating.

I assume nothing will be done this time either. We should all just take our medicine and keep paying thousands to have our inventory commoditized by others to our detriment. Learn to like it.

I see the light now!

I love Big Brother!!

:o

WARNING – Longer than normal post ahead

It has been an interesting couple of months since this thread first started. We have seen videos from top industry consultants, Brian Pasch and Jim Ziegler, and from Cars.com CMO Linda Bartman. I thought of producing my own video but figured, who wants to see a small used car dealer from Richmond VA on air, so thought that I would put my thoughts in writing instead. Man, I had no idea this thread would become viral on this forum, Facebook, and other areas online. Is that a good thing? I’ll let you make your own decision on some of the things being said and bantered about.

From the beginning my concern was the email campaign that Cars.com initiated offering our leads other dealer’s inventory. My concern as a dealer is what I’ll refer to in this post as “the 20% rule”. Top notch dealerships with their email and follow up procedures firing on all cylinders only close around 20% of their internet leads. Stop and think about that number for a moment. How many people would like to play a game if you knew your odds of winning were only 2 out 10? Not many. I’ll bet our friend Jerry Thibeau would play way less blackjack if he knew he was only going to win 2 out 10 hands. But car dealers play this game every day. We get up early and we go to bed late playing a game that we know we are only going to win 20% of the time, IF we are at our best. I felt, and still do, that the follow up email from Cars was an interruption that we did not need in our internet follow up process.
My other concern was the amount of emails our customers would be receiving from my store, the other dealers that they are shopping, and also Cars.com. I am not naive enough to think that my store is the only one that the consumer submitted a lead to. They have more than likely inquired with us and at least 1 or 2 other dealers. They have now entered into “email hell” as it has been described on these forums and elsewhere. In reading these and other forums online, sometimes I come across a quote that is so powerful that it sticks with me. Back in February in another thread: “How important are email lead conversions?” Alex Snyder made a statement that has stuck with me and I’ll share it with you here:

“Consumers don't fully appreciate the complexity of a car deal until after they've purchased the car. And they forget that until after they've purchased the next car. So, when they're looking online, they're remembering the bad experience they had from giving the dealership their info last time....all the email newsletters they've tried to unsubscribe from, all that junk mail that came to their physical mailbox, and all those voicemails left for them. It was annoying, irrelevant, and hounding. It is no wonder lead conversion is stagnant or sinking across all dealer websites while the actual visits are increasing. We did it to ourselves. And more leads = more problems. They do not = more money anymore.”
I feel that Alex’s statement is relevant here in this discussion. The Cars process with the follow up emails just adds several more unwanted emails to the consumers already clogged inbox. I’m speaking here from my own opinion of course and I apologize to Alex if he feels that I am using his quote out of context. Here is the link to that thread if you would like to check it out: http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f43/how-important-email-lead-conversions-3100.html#post27821

I also want it to be known that after this thread started, Linda Bartman from Cars.com reached out to me to discuss. We were both scheduled to be in New York that weekend for the President’s Club event and scheduled a meeting to chat about this in person. We met with another one of her coworkers to discuss the issue, from my point of view, and I certainly listened to hers. Our meeting probably lasted about an hour and I walked away feeling better that my voice was heard. But not feeling better about the issue at hand because at that time they were still intending to continue the program with a few tweaks. One major tweak was the schedule of the emails not starting until after the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] day. I was okay with that change but still not happy that the process was still going to happen. I was okay with the slight change because within those 3 days, my store has more than likely contacted the customer, and hopefully scheduled an appointment. We could have already sold them a car, but Cars.com doesn't know that. If we did, then the customer would still be getting those follow up emails as well as the many others from the competing dealers. I still feel that the follow up program was a threat to the “20% Rule” that none of us in dealerships need.

I understand all of the points and counterpoints that Jim and Bryan have made in their blogs and videos. The whole “more eyes on the VDP” deal, I get it, and I really do. But let’s not forget that the customer’s eyes were on my VDP to begin with, which resulted in them making a decision to submit a lead. Call me selfish, but I feel I’m just trying to protect my 20%!

So after a flurry of videos, blogs, and social media posts, Linda Bartman comes online and alerts everyone via video that the program is cancelled. I’m okay with that. End of discussion in my world. But it hasn't been the end of discussion in the world of many others. This thread has sort of morphed into an assault on many people that we all do business with. Yes, it has uncovered some areas of our business that we should be paying attention to. But at the end of the day, I don’t feel that Linda Bartman or Cars.com is my enemy. We had an issue, we met, they listened, and they reacted. They didn't just listen to me, I’m certainly not trying to take credit for the change, but thank them for making the change that this thread started out asking for.

Last week at Digital Dealer was an interesting experience. It seems that everywhere I went people were asking: “Hey Bill, are you the guest of honor at the Cars.com booth?” They were asking jokingly and I knew that. But it made for some great conversation on why this thread was initially started. The 20% Rule. My fellow dealer friends know where I was coming from when I initially started this thread and the changes we hoped would happen. I cannot say all, but certainly many agree with most of what I have written here. I actually did visit the Cars.com booth and also called Linda Bartman on her cell to let her know my thoughts.

What’s the moral to all of this?

Vendors should understand more about our business and how their actions could impact us in the dealership, ie the 20% Rule. Dealers, as Eley pointed out earlier in the thread, need to do a better job of knowing what wordage and DMS access, and inventory privileges we are granting when we sign a contract. If there is a website that your inventory is going to and you don’t want it there, have it removed. Credit to Dominion Dealer and their Dealer Specialties unit for stepping up and providing their dealer with instructions on how to opt out once the inventory feed issue reared its ugly head. Dealers can decide for themselves which websites are good or bad for their business, no one else. As I write this is, it being written that Homenet is about to do the same.

In closing this very long post, I am reminded of a quote that I heard from my friend and vendor partner Sean Stapleton with VinSolutions. We were at a dealer advisory board meeting a couple of years ago and the discussion somehow turned to dealer-vendor relationships. Sean was quick to say “At the end of the month if you don’t feel that you are a partner with your vendor, “DON’T WRITE THE CHECK” Anyone that knows Sean and how excited he can get can imagine the enthusiasm that he made the statement with. I’m not planning on stopping writing checks to Cars or anyone else at the moment. Some of you that have participated in this thread apparently are ready to make that decision. I wish everyone the best with whatever decision you decide to make.

Reactions: 1 person