• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Cars.com listings affected by CDK?

DrewAment

Boss
Apr 30, 2009
Awards
First Name
Drew
Chock this up as a WTF, and part of the CDK fallout.

I had a dealer reach out to me -- their pricing was not updating on Cars.com. Received the following email from Cars.com support.

Thank you for contacting Cars.com Customer Care. On June 19th, CDK suffered a cyber incident, in which CDK’s systems were impacted. As a result, CDK has disabled a number of their services, including their inventory aggregation. We are able to verify that your inventory feed is passing through CDK for inventory aggregation for Cars.com. As such, we are not able to update your inventory listings. At this time, CDK has not updated us on when the inventory aggregation will be live. You can continue to leverage Dealer Dash within your Cars Commerce Hub to track both live inventory and associated lead/activity details for those listings.

Sent a follow up asking how the CDK outage affected a feed from vAuto? and got this back...

Thank you for contacting Cars.com Customer Care. Cars.com partners with CDK to process inventory for us, the feed gets sent from your 3rd party to CDK and they process the inventory.

Your telling me a website and listing company, that does a shitload for dealers, doesn't do their OWN inventory feed?? What could they possibly gain by using a third party? A $1.3+B company. That is a tech company, using a third party for aggregation? Like seriously+++ WTF?

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
Welp, this is crazy but explains the issue I ran across this morning.

I took notice that our updated pricing was reflecting correctly everywhere EXCEPT for Cars.com. I wasn't sure what was causing the issue, but had a suspicion.
I'm sure everyone knows this, but I should say it just in case. You can edit prices manually in Cars.com's backend tool.

I'm sure everyone knows this, but I should say it just in case. You can edit prices manually in Cars.com's backend tool.

Ya -- agree/know. However, it is not just pricing - it is the adding/deleting of vehicles. ~15 cars come in/out a day on the group that inquired. That means manually adding and removing ~15 a day on the Cars.com platform.

We are already at 86 vehicles to ADD, probably about the same to delete.

Ya -- agree/know. However, it is not just pricing - it is the adding/deleting of vehicles. ~15 cars come in/out a day on the group that inquired. That means manually adding and removing ~15 a day on the Cars.com platform.

Weird - we're on CDK, so I checked a few units that were added manually to vAuto yesterday and they're already live on Cars.com today.

We technically syndicate through our Homenet IOL rooftop so maybe that's the difference? I believe behind the scenes, Homenet powers vAuto's syndication though.

Last edited:

Yuck. Sorry that you're going through that.

Weird - we're on CDK, so I checked a few units that were added manually to vAuto yesterday and they're already live on Cars.com today.

We technically syndicate through our Homenet IOL rooftop so maybe that's the difference? I believe behind the scenes, Homenet powers vAuto's syndication though.
Yes. vAuto uses Homenet-both owned by Cox.