• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Charts, Shopping Studies, I Need Them All! Need To Do A Presentation..

kcar,

what are you trying to do?

Was going to make a powerpoint presentation, but that simply just isn't going to work with too many things to explain. I'm gearing up for an entire overhaul of all of the online marketing and advertising, and want to make sure everyone understands what things like SEO, SEM, online reputation, social, ZMOT, etc, etc. They have the general ideas but aren't quite sure how everything online works yet. Before I start with a ton of programs I want to make sure everyone's familiar with what's going to happen, when it will happen and why it needs to happen. The dealer group I'm working with is a bit far behind, but they understand the value and need of being online. So as of now, I've decided no presentation or charts, etc., just me walking through everyone in a sit down meeting while answering questions.

kcar,

no one will care. All they want is ups. If you make ups, then they'll ignore you. If it gets slow, then it's all your fault. Sorry, but they don't have the passion for the little details like you do.

It's really that simple.

Charts and Graphs wont teach a dog to respect it's owner.

Reactions: 3 people
I've been in my role As e-comm director for about a year and I've been in your shoes. A great place to start is those open conversations. Don't get caught up to much with the stores in the philosophy of consumer shopping as they'll lose interest real quick only to pay enough attention to the 20 people that magically call the dealership (as if they looked your number up in the white pages) but no floor traffic because of some reason or another.

I would recommend three steps

1) do what your doing have the open conversations

2) Sales guys live and die by the numbers. If their store had 400 ups, 200 deals and made "x" dollars they had a good month.
If they had 200 ups, and 100 deals they had a bad month. Relate to them, do some data mining. Show them when their websitetraffic is "x" and time on site is "y", and phone appointments are "z" then their Ups =.. If you can find a correlation and figure out ways to influence the correlation you will be worth your weight in gold to individuals who are numbers and results driven.. Quantifying is the hardest part but if you need some ideas I'd be more than happy to help on this and show you what we do for our 15 stores. Every week when our guys get their report I get questions like how can we keep people on our site longer... I noticed our calls are down and traffic is down, can we increase are seo and marketing efforts.

3) A true Internet store lives and dies by driving floor traffic on the phone... Jerry :)

Yes at the end of the day is it about ups, yes.... Do they care how they get their, no.

Without them we couldn't sell the cars, without us they wouldn't have eyeballs on their inventory... We're all on the same team.

I think your playing it smart by starting with the QandA .... The next step is reporting and
measuring to find correlation but more importantly areas of opportunity.

Sometimes we have to step away from the computer and be a salesmen of salesmen. Good luck with your meeting!

Uncle Joe Rule #113

Selling cars is a team sport. Killing your self to produce more leads WILL NOT PRODUCE MORE SALES. More leads will simply Make it easier for your sales team to find lay downs.

Your sucess lies in your managers hands... Not yours. You create opportunities and hand it off to management. They have run with the ball (not you).

How do you know if your management team is hungry and focused, or, fat and happy.

Do your managers Walk the floor and meet and greet shoppers? Or, do you see them at their desks all the time? When they are away from their desks are they always "doing boss stuff" or, do you see them in a "discussion triangle" rep, shopper, manager.

How often do you see your managers in training mode? Classes? One on ones?

Here's a painful lesson I learned. Sales reps want lay downs. Sales reps only work hard if lay downs are not found. If a sales rep is working hard and a lay down shows up, they go back into coasting mode and bask in the warm glow of the easy kill.

SUMMARY:
The harder you work, the more lay downs you'll produce. Reps under weak management will NOT dig for more sales, they'll just wait for the next lay down that you've dished up for them.

IMO, document every thing you do, if your management team won't work as hard as you, I gaurentee there is a manager out there right now that is looking for a player with half of the heart and skills you have now.

Fill that resume with impressive before and after stats!

Reactions: 1 person