• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Clickmotive VS DealerCom

Sharko

Hat Trick
Jun 25, 2012
First Name
Marko
Hi everyone - I'll tell you right now your input is very welcome on this issue.

We're a Toyota dealership currently with Clickmotive but over the past 2 weeks, we've been evaluating DealerCom.

There are pluses/minuses on both sides. Who here feels strongly one way or another about this decision?

What would you do? Stay with Clickmotive or jump to DealerCom (pricing is comparable.)

Thanks.

EDIT: We're only evaluating the website package, not CRM or anything else. We're on contract with VinSolutions for CRM so the CRM won't be changing anytime soon. Thanks.

Hey Sam,

I have a couple questions for you, listed below.

1. Was the evaluation a result of salesperson from Dealer.com getting in touch with you?
2. Are there any areas that leave you frustrated with Clickmotive that you feel Dealer.com can accommodate?
3. How "hands on" would staff at the dealership work on the site? Fully managed by a vendor or some self-management as well?

Switching web providers can be somewhat of a significant change with email, redirects, DNS, etc.

Hey Sam,

I have a couple questions for you, listed below.

1. Was the evaluation a result of salesperson from Dealer.com getting in touch with you?
2. Are there any areas that leave you frustrated with Clickmotive that you feel Dealer.com can accommodate?
3. How "hands on" would staff at the dealership work on the site? Fully managed by a vendor or some self-management as well?

Switching web providers can be somewhat of a significant change with email, redirects, DNS, etc.

Hi Chris,

Thanks - here are my answers:

Ans: No. We reached out to them. The main reason was I had the "impression" the Dealer.com was the newer, perhaps more technologically enabled company. I can't say I've found this to be true - that is to say - I've seen no overwhelming evidence that would suggest that.

Ans: I thought Dealer.com site design look a little slicker and operated a bit more fluidly than Clickmotive's. Again, while I think it can be argued that way, I've seen nothing overwhelming that supports that contention.

Ans: Very hands on. I'm able to tweak the site on a regular and on-going basis, code custom pages, etc.

--Yes, I'm very concerned about the effect this could (will?) have on our SEO. Our email is handled by another entity so will remain uninterrupted (to the best of my knowledge at this point.)

Thanks.

I've never used Clickmotive but judging from their sites you have more customization than you do with Dealer.com. I've used DD.com and they their customization is very limited, you really can't change out of their templates. Dealer.com is by no means "newer" or 'more technology based", every vendor one way or another offers the same package. Nothing in the auto industry website service is new, it's all the same technology and features. DD.com sites are more lightweight in their code, meaning compared to Clickmotive they will load much better (I ran a few tests). Clickmotive uses the .aspx format, which I've used in the past with eBizAutos and it works fine, but I'm honestly not a fan of it.

As far as your SEO goes, you shouldn't worry at all. I've switched providers 2x in one year, then went to running my own custom Wordpress self-managed site and I'm still ranking #1 for keywords. I even removed every single page and started from scratch, nothing changed. You have to understand their is no SEO in the dealer world, there's only a tiny handful who get it, the rest are just average competition anyone can rank above. So rest assured you'll be fine, the only advice I would offer is if you do switch make sure you are ready.. Before you do so, make a plan of what exactly you want for your pages. Create NEW content, write a bunch of unique pages about your service department, staff, blog, etc. Should you switch, do so that you improve your entire website, not just the look of it.

That's about it, it's really up to you. Both are pretty much the same..

Also wanted to note. DDC will promise you can make changes, customize this or that, but when time comes they'll cancel on you. Make sure they give you a demo you can play with, and see if it fits your needs. Don't let them tell you they can change this or that later on... try to do it yourself. If it won't change in your backend screen, chances are it's not ever going to.

I've never used Clickmotive but judging from their sites you have more customization than you do with Dealer.com. I've used DD.com and they their customization is very limited, you really can't change out of their templates. Dealer.com is by no means "newer" or 'more technology based", every vendor one way or another offers the same package. Nothing in the auto industry website service is new, it's all the same technology and features. DD.com sites are more lightweight in their code, meaning compared to Clickmotive they will load much better (I ran a few tests). Clickmotive uses the .aspx format, which I've used in the past with eBizAutos and it works fine, but I'm honestly not a fan of it.

As far as your SEO goes, you shouldn't worry at all. I've switched providers 2x in one year, then went to running my own custom Wordpress self-managed site and I'm still ranking #1 for keywords. I even removed every single page and started from scratch, nothing changed. You have to understand their is no SEO in the dealer world, there's only a tiny handful who get it, the rest are just average competition anyone can rank above. So rest assured you'll be fine, the only advice I would offer is if you do switch make sure you are ready.. Before you do so, make a plan of what exactly you want for your pages. Create NEW content, write a bunch of unique pages about your service department, staff, blog, etc. Should you switch, do so that you improve your entire website, not just the look of it.

That's about it, it's really up to you. Both are pretty much the same..

Also wanted to note. DDC will promise you can make changes, customize this or that, but when time comes they'll cancel on you. Make sure they give you a demo you can play with, and see if it fits your needs. Don't let them tell you they can change this or that later on... try to do it yourself. If it won't change in your backend screen, chances are it's not ever going to.

Wow - kcar - thank you. That was a very thoughtful response. I want to give it a better reply and will have time to do so later, but I wanted to jump in real quick right now and just say thanks!

I know you asked for input between Dealer.com and Clickmotive, but if you are seriously thinking of switching website companies- the one you need to carefully consider is DealerOn. In my opinion, they are at the top of the game.

Hi Emily,

I can't - for our situation here (and I'm being purposefully ambiguous I know - sorry) right now, these are our only two choices.