• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Congratulations DriveClassicToyota.com You Have The Worst Website EVER

Oct 17, 2011
First Name
Dan
Bells, Whistles, Flash, image maps, dysfunction - www.DriveClassicToyota.com has it all! Since starting the automotive digital marketing business I have been on a quest to uncover the worst website ever built. The elderado of dealer/automotive websites (linscars.com) had already been discovered long before my time. But as of today I believe I have found the worst dealership website ever built - I'm very surprised to say that (on the surface at least) it doesn't seem to have been built by anyone at ADP. No this gem was built by auction showcase. Check it out Classic Toyota in Mentor | Cleveland Toyota Dealer

Now I know what you're saying, at first glance it looks very clean with designs that almost indicate responsive elements my be at play. That is of course until the slideshow starts firing up. Then you start noticing the model segment cluster image maps - which lead to pretty attractive model landing pages. It really isn't until you driven yourself into the inventory that the major shortcomings rear their very ugly faces.

THE SRP
Upon entering the realm of a model specific SRP (search results page) which takes close to a month to render the JS and CSS on you might notice that the entire navigation has changed to be 100% specific to the model with the exception of the home button link. Fine I guess unless you would like to find Classic Toyota's hours and or directions... They keep that page well hidden. In fact its really only accessible from the home page and a few other remote pages.

THE VDP
Let's get this out of the way now. Don't be fooled by the CTA "Request a Quote" clicking on it will only bring you to another place where you'll have to, once again, click "Request A Quote". Once you're in a VDP good luck getting out. The only way back to the SRP is your browsers "Back Button" as there is no navigation on the VDP.

THE FORMS
If you can finally make it to the "Get A Quote" form notice that it is quite large and contains many, many fields. Good news is there's no "*" indicating that any of them are required. But once you fill out the ones you want and click "Request A Quote" (which will be the 3rd time you've done so but who's counting) you will learn that all of them are required including the CAPTCHA text form at the bottom. Here's a hint when it says "You Must Enter a Question" they mean you have to put something in the text box titled "Message" which is conveniently located in the trade-in information section.

I could go on and on about how much this website sucks for conversion but I'd like to give all of you the chance to punch holes in this sinking ship. So please check this Dealership Digital POS and post up on all the shortcomings you find and redeeming qualities (if there are any...)

Also, if you think you've found a worse dealership website I'd love to see em.

I dont know this dealer so not defending the site just some observations.

AS for the SRP page, I see navigation buttons also the hours/directions are under the info tab. They are also listed in each VDP. After looking further it seems some search inventory buttons take you to a differnt type of search like the one you found. At first I was not seeing what you are but now I am.

On the VDP if you click on the get a quote button it takes you one place, where the request a quote button take you to what seems to the correct place.

I was expecting much worse. The site is actually decent relative to some of the others I've seen. Some of the behavior you mention (the browsers back button) is actually how many people navigate websites still (seriously). If I was in the market for a Toyota, I could easily find what I was looking for. I still think there's a ton of usability problems but I've seen some other dealer sites that remind of old Angelfire sites :D

Reactions: 2 people
I can find 5 usability issues on any site I look at, including the ones I build.

What we do in the car business is not always for conversion sake, there is a certain positive ego on being proud about how we look and what we offer. Your ability to do that varies from make to make (some makes are more forgiving in their sales when it comes to non being perfect on your digital strategy).

Reactions: 1 person
Have to agree with above points.
If this is the worst website ever - even the worst dealership website ever - then I'm afraid you didn't look hard enough.

I understand your points, but they're not even ranking that poorly so they can't be doing everything wrong.

I think one of the worst (as measured by OUR standards) websites out there is Ling Cars but we have all learned that she has a fantastic business and following.

Maybe not every dealership has to conform their digital presence to a set knowledge of perceived values.

Tell me first how many cars you sell, then lets talk about your marketing.

If you're not trying to convert website shoppers into showroom customers what the hell do you have a dealership website for?
Guys I'm not criticizing the look of the site. It's not bad. However The functionality is counter intuitive at best especially when it comes to most crucial portions of the site (namely the VDP). Also do take note of the double CTA nav on VDPs... how many options do I really need to print the screen?

CTAs are far from incentives and pricing modules as are store hours, directions, and phone numbers. If you click enough CTAs on the VDP I think you'll have a little bit of trouble exiting it ;). Also the need to fill out a CAPTCHA form in order to submit... really. The form itself is terrible. Making the comments section required and then placing under the Trade-in section is borderline ridiculous.

If the purpose of your Dealership site is to look pretty than driveclassictoyota has a "mission accomplished" status. But if conversion is the goal... failure is the mark this receives.

Not everyone is a hardened internet guru like many of us. You need to develop your site to be accessible and useful to the lowest common denominator. One of the ways I assess conversion is by asking myself could my parents use this site and find what they are looking for (entering their 60s). And with this example it would be a serious no. This site would do better if it were placed next to the tilt-a-whirl and the hall of mirrors because its a carnival ride cluster F#ck and a website visitor bouncy house.

we sold over 25,000 last year yago. How many did you sell? Also worth mention is that we are the #15 Chevy store in the country for new chevy sales. #25 for Ford. and #1 in our PMA for everything except for our duplicate brand stores which are all in the top five positions in the Boston Market place which is one of the most competitive in the nation. Satisfied?

oh and one more thing Lings Cars is F$cking awesome!

we sold over 25,000 last year yago. How many did you sell? Also worth mention is that we are the #15 Chevy store in the country for new chevy sales. #25 for Ford. and #1 in our PMA for everything except for our duplicate brand stores which are all in the top five positions in the Boston Market place which is one of the most competitive in the nation. Satisfied?

oh and one more thing Lings Cars is F$cking awesome!

Danny,

I think you miss interpreted my quote as some kind of high school taunt towards you. Unfortunately I no longer sell cars, I did enjoy it during the time that I did it (and of course never close to 25,000!). I'm glad that you and your team have done so well.

So what I meant (related to the topic and not to your accomplishments) is that some dealers may dominate their market via TV or radio therefore needed websites that reflect a message or a position and not a mathematical conversion path. I see this for example on some of the special finance dealers selling 400+ cars a month spending $200-300K a month on radio where their websites perform upwards 2000 form leads a month with the most absurd tricks such as for example requiring an email BEFORE you can see the cars. On the franchise dealer front, Toyota, Honda, and specially BMW in metro areas are in the same case. The BMW store in downtown Seattle for example can put balloons in their VDPs and they will still sell 100+ BMW every single month of the year.

Conversion doesn't always come via the same path for all dealers.

Reactions: 1 person