• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Craigslist can work if done correctly

We recently jumped into the Craigslist bandwagon with both feet after seeing the success some of our dealers were having using crude tactics to launch all their inventory. We are about to roll out of a beta program that launches all your vehicles weekly. Here is a sample of some of our listings... let me know what you think any feedback would be appreciated.

orange co cars & trucks - all classifieds "vid" - craigslist

Also, does anyone have some figures regarding a "target" for Vehicle Details Page compared to Search Results Page? Like 5% 10% or more?

According to a source at ATC, the TOP performing dealers (nationally) average 4.5%

He made a great point - Searches vs VDP’s is a tricky area because how each dealer merchandises (photos, comments, video, price) their inventory greatly alters this number.

I am in Phoenix, he said dealers here are averaging in the low 2% range.

Your local ATC rep should be able to share with you what your market is - ATC calls it the "M Factor"

Last edited:
According to a source at ATC, the TOP performing dealers (nationally) average 4.5%

He made a great point - Searches vs VDP’s is a tricky area because how each dealer merchandises (photos, comments, video, price) their inventory greatly alters this number.

I am in Phoenix, he said dealers here are averaging in the low 2% range.

Your local ATC rep should be able to share with you what your market is - ATC calls it the "M Factor"

Thanks Drew. I looked over some of the reports I received from my local ATC Rep and it has some market info on it.

Here are the results from a local Ford store. 64 used cars in stock, automatic posting on CL. Prices are in the ad but not in the title. These guys went live on Dec. 20th. From Dec. 20th to Jan. 17th they got 6 leads in the CRM and 35 phone calls. It seems like there are always more phone calls than leads. Sold 4. They felt it was well worth the $400.

I will break it down the best I can.

Pre-Advertising
You must remember who you are advertising to on Craigslist.

Almost everyone on CL is looking for a deal and probably needs some type of special financing, at least that seems how it is in my market.

That being said, I tend to NOT list vehicles over 25K MSRP, new vehicles or luxury vehicles. Point above.

The Title
The title is the MOST IMPORTANT part of your listing.
Most CL users are looking for ANY vehicle to purchase, not a specific type. They are looking for the best deal they can get. Therefore, if you have a title that stands out theres a good chance a user will click it, even if uninterested in that particular vehicle type. Once on the page, if your CL sales copy is good enough, you can convert them.

Use special characters in your title post. Special Characters in HTML

Any of these will work. I've found ones with arrows pointing towards the post have almost a 35% higher CTR.

Mix caps locks and regular type together. It's a lot more eye catching. EX: 2008 Ford Fusion /// SUPER CLEAN /// Only 32K Miles

List your dealership city IN your CL title. EX: 2007 Ford Fusion in WACO, TX

I am not sure why users click more when a city is included, but they do.

Do not add a listing without SOME SORT OF DESCRIPTION in your title. Add mileage, condition, ext. color, aftermarket add-on, etc. Nothing is separating you from the pack with a title like "2001 Toyota Camry"

The Post
DO NOT GIVE TOO MUCH INFORMATION IN YOUR POST - If a car shopper can gather all the information they need for a purchase from your CL ad - then you will RARELY get an eLead.

Good post:
[SPECIAL CHARACTERS] YEAR MAKE MODEL /// EXTRA COMMENTS /// City, State
^^^^^
Title

YEAR MAKE MODEL
MILEAGE
TRANSMISSION

....will finish this tomorrow. I'm WAYYYY to busy to write a free craigslist ebook for dealers :D

Does all of this still hold true? I was under the impression special characters would get you flagged? Also, why include the city twice if it's included next to the posting?

The best advice available when it comes to Craigslist is to try it for yourself. If it works, continue to use it, if it doesn't scrap it.

It doesn't hurt to have a notebook to record what you are doing. Craigslist is always changing their filters and it's a constant battle to get ads up and get clicks.

The last 2 months have been pretty brutal in our area for CL in terms of even getting ads live!

Also, when it comes to special characters.. I'd advise against them. CL doesn't usually like them but if it works for you, then use them!