• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Critiquing A Live Dealer Chat Script -- Chat Tracks

MY thoughts exactly. We didn't even go after a name.

Huge opportunity to ask more about their trade-in and build rapport.

During the rapport build, easier to get the customers name.

What is it about the Jeep Wrangler that interests you so much?

Who knows where the chat could have gone from there...

Each question and or answer can take you down the path of a great chat and possible appointment or a complete dead end.

Here is another live chat transcript. This one get straight to the price and unfortunately the agent goes right along with it. At least she was able to get the customer contact information so a follow-up call could be made.

Year=2011
Make=Toyota,TOYOTA
Model=Tundra,TUNDRA
StockNumber=72026771
feature9=navigation
feature7=leather seats

Transcript:
[8:40:58 AM]<Agent> It's a GREAT day at Younger Toyota, my name is Patrica. And your name is?
[8:41:11 AM]<Customer>Hi Patrica
[8:41:22 AM]<Customer>my name is Andre
[8:41:27 AM]<Agent> How are you doing today Andre?
[8:41:35 AM]<Customer>very good
[8:41:55 AM]<Agent> That's good. What questions can I answer for you on this great looking Tundra
[8:43:02 AM]<Customer>I'm looking for 2011 toyota tundra and this one really has what i want but the price is high. what can u do for me
[8:43:43 AM]<Agent> I can talk to my pre-owned manager and see what we can do for you. Where are you located?
[8:44:06 AM]<Customer>in Springfield. VA
[8:44:28 AM]<Agent> Ok. And are you looking to trade something in?
[8:44:53 AM]<Customer>no, i'm buying
[8:45:41 AM]<Agent>Ok...is there a contact number for you? This way I can talk to my manager and then give you a call on what I have
[8:46:03 AM]<Agent> I'm specifically looking for the stock #72026771
[8:46:30 AM]<Customer>ok give a call at 647 XXX XXXX
[8:47:03 AM]<Agent> Will do Andre. Is there anything else I can answer for you?
[8:47:27 AM]<Customer>no, Patrica i wait for your call then
[8:47:38 AM]<Agent> Ok. Talk to you then!
[8:47:48 AM]<Customer>thx

What do you think? Where did this this chat go wrong? Or maybe nothing went wrong... you decide!

Here is another chat transcript. Some areas of opportunity here but overall a great job...

Year=2004
Make=Chevrolet
Model=TrailBlazer EXT

Transcript:
[8:19:41 PM]<Tabetha>It's a GREAT day at Younger Toyota, my name is Tabetha . And your name is?
[8:19:58 PM]<Customer>DO YOU STILL HAVE THE 2004 CHEVY TRAILBLAZER
[8:20:00 PM]<Customer>JUSTIN
[8:20:44 PM]<Customer>MY WIFE AND I ARE LOOKING FOR A SUV WITH LOW MILES AND AROUND THIS PRICE
[8:20:46 PM]<Tabetha>I can check on that for you sir, can you hold for just one moment please?
[8:20:55 PM]<Customer>SURE
[8:22:48 PM]<Tabetha>I just check with our Pre-Owned Manager John and hes says we do have the Trail Blazer still. Would you be interested in coming in tomorrow, sir, and test driving it?
[8:23:50 PM]<Customer>HOW LATE ARE YOU OPEN BECAUSE I HAVE TO WORK
[8:24:24 PM]<Tabetha>our normal hours Monday though Friday are 9am to 9pm and Saturday 9am to 5pm
[8:24:59 PM]<Tabetha>Would you be doing an exchange sir?
[8:25:26 PM]<Customer>YEAH I HAVE A 2005 CHEVY MALIBU MAX WITH 130000 MILES ON IT
[8:25:59 PM]<Tabetha Harrison>That sounds great, we can appraise that for you while you are in. You said you work, what time do you get off work Justin?
[8:26:28 PM]<Customer>AT SEVEN AND I WOULD BE COMING FROM CUMBERLAND MD
[8:26:41 PM]<Tabetha>7am? or 7pm?
[8:26:50 PM]<Customer>PM
[8:27:05 PM]<Tabetha>okay, would a Saturday time work better for you?
[8:27:56 PM]<Customer>NOT REALLY BECAUSE IM A MANAGER IN RETAIL PROBABLY THE ONLY DAY I HAVE IS THIS SUNDAY OR NEXT THURSDAY
[8:28:11 PM]<Customer>OR MAYBE IN THE EVENING
[8:29:16 PM]<Tabetha>Well, I would like for you to come in before this truck runs off. Would you be able to make it to town by 815 or 830pm tomorrow?
[8:31:14 PM]<Tabetha Harrison>Justin, are you still there?
[8:32:34 PM]<Customer>i will have to look at my schedule and get back to you for sure
[8:32:47 PM]<Customer>is there a number that is good to call for a appointment
[8:34:17 PM]<Tabetha>That sounds like a plan, could I get your phone number and last name for my records. So when you call I can go back to my notes and verify everything? My direct number is 301.733.2300 ext 8565. I will be getting in tomorrow at 12pm. I also work until 9pm so when ever you want to call you can. If you would like to call in the morning you can ask for Kami or Debbie in the BDC department and they will help you out.
[8:35:13 PM]<Customer>Lambkay and 304-813-XXXX
[8:36:14 PM]<Tabetha>Thank you Mr. Lambkay, would it be okay if I called you tomorrow around 7pm to see if you will be coming in?
[8:37:04 PM]<Customer>yes that would be fine thank you very much for your help and time i really appreciate it.
[8:37:35 PM]<Tabetha>No problem Mr. Lambkay, I look forward to speaking with you shortly and seeing you soon! Is there anything else I can help you with tonight?
[8:37:57 PM]<Customer>no thank you for the help
[8:38:11 PM]<Tabetha>Have a great evening Sir. Good Night

Any comments?

Hi Jeff,

You have initiated a very good topic to discuss and I have read through almost the whole thread. I would like to share the way I look at Live Chat either this be in-house or outsourced. Things are still evolving for live chat, the rules for live chat are not written, and a huge percentage of dealers have yet to implement this thing into their online advertisement strategy. I think that if a live chat operator is making a mistake/blunder then only he is not responsible for this, the business 90% responsible for whom the chat is being conducted. See, a chat operator would/should work with canned responses and these responses shall make the chat operator 95% error free while the canned responses are built in consultation with the business. A chat operator shall work within the area he has been told to do. So, keeping these things in mind I would say that the present chat and all the other chats which you have posted for critique and other members of this forum have rightly criticized these chats, we should make hold the business responsible for all the errors and mistakes the chat operator has made.

I shall say few words about your recent chat script that there are repetitions (such as 'SIR') and few grammar mistakes which is criminal.

Tons of great information here, and useful examples. I see a lot of people suggesting that chat should be treated like the phone. I disagree. Think about chat services. Chat is offered as fully managed, rollover, or software only. In managed chat, you are delivered leads. In the event that an appointment is created in the process, it's just gravy. As a dealership, you should take the same position. Salespeople are bad at handling internet leads because they are always trying to sell the car. They have a hard time on the phone for this reason, and require constant training to be effective. Chat actually takes this one step further, in that you are trying to create a lead, not an appointment, and definitely not a sale. Once we have a name, phone number, and email address, then my team has done what they needed to do on chat. From there they are to follow up and create an appointment.

I always tell them to provide value to the customer before asking for an email. Saying, "can I have your email address/phone number in case we get disconnected" is not providing value. They're chatting in stead of emailing for that exact reason. They don't care if the conversation gets termed. They'll just initiate another chat if they didn't get all their questions answered. Offer to send additional vehicle information. If they asked about equipment, off to send a copy of the window sticker via email. Tell them that you have a carfax report you'd like to email them if your a carfax customer. Give them a reason to give you their email that actually benefits them. I normally agree with Doug, however in this case I don't think it makes sense to commit to knowing if the vehicles is still there or not. It could be getting sold while you're chatting. The best answer for availability questions is, "The computer is showing that the car is still available, but I'd like to put my hands on it just to be sure, and to make sure there isn't a deal pending. What is the best number to reach you at?" Once they give it to you, "Great! While you wait I will send you some additional information on this vehicle and a few similar cars for you to look over as well. What is your email address?" No matter what the question is, you can use these lines and get customer info. From there, you should be using your internet lead follow up process to turn it into an appointment.

Reactions: 1 person
Browsing the forums, I came upon this older thread and wanted to provide my input. Lots of good input here from everyone. I agree with the comment that Sara mentioned above - chat is still evolving and there's still much to learn about consumer expectations, as well as how to best handle the conversation.
I particularly like Mike Campo's post - lots of great points. At Contact At Once!, we believe that the dealership sales team is the best group to answer their consumers' chats. They are going to best be able to address questions about availability, finance/lease options, model information, trade-in values, etc. At the end of the chat, however, the goal is to create a lead. The live chat is an opportunity to 'connect' the consumer with the dealership.

We've seen many chats where a consumer has a great chat experience and gets all of their questions answered - but no contact information was captured. We could make the argument that the good experience should drive that consumer to the dealership, but that's not a given, and we all know the complexities around sourcing. We want to generate a lead - otherwise, there is nothing for the sales team to act on.
Conversely, we've seen dealers who go right for the name, email address, and phone, only to find the consumer abandons the chat. Mike's point about creating value in the conversation to arrive at the lead info is exactly what we coach to at Contact At Once! If your sales team cannot answer all of your inbound chats, we have 24x7 support to capture all of those prospects for you.

Reactions: 1 person