• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Critiquing A Live Dealer Chat Script -- Chat Tracks

if I put one of my chats on here(at the risk of me looking like an idiot) would you guys critique it? I am VERY new at the chat thing and could use any pointer that you could give.

Jeremy,

Go for it!!! Worse thing that is going to happen is that you receive free training from the best in the business. Between all of the chat vendors, internet sales manages, and marketing gurus what better place to get some feedback.

Submit a chat that you feel "got away from you" and see if we cannot prevent that from happening in the future.

Jeremy,

Go for it!!! Worse thing that is going to happen is that you receive free training from the best in the business. Between all of the chat vendors, internet sales manages, and marketing gurus what better place to get some feedback.

Submit a chat that you feel "got away from you" and see if we cannot prevent that from happening in the future.

Ok guys here it goes - with Jeff's permission to post. Instead of digging thru my chats i just picked the last one I did. Please critique. The only way I am going to be able to train my guys to do it correctly is for me to do it correctly. I appreciate all your help!

Starting Time: 7/20/2010 8:33:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Agent: Jeremy Brown
VisitId: 7998118
Time to Answer(in seconds): 9
Origination:

Transcript:
[8:33:16 PM]<Jeremy Brown>Hello, How may I help you?
[8:33:59 PM]<Customer>yes I am currently doing some research on the best vehicle to buy right now... I am looking to buy something new and preferably under 19,000
[8:34:22 PM]<Jeremy Brown>Awesome! the lancer is an excellent choice!
[8:34:33 PM]<Jeremy Brown>My name is Jeremy. And your name is?
[8:34:41 PM]<Customer>do you currently offer any in manuals
[8:34:53 PM]<Customer>My name is Sondra
[8:35:22 PM]<Jeremy Brown>Sondra, The Lancer is available in a manual, Have you driven one yet?
[8:35:47 PM]<Customer>no I have not. I have however driven an automatic Galant in the past
[8:36:02 PM]<Jeremy Brown>What did you think of it?
[8:36:08 PM]<Customer>I like the features of a Galant but not the drive
[8:36:26 PM]<Jeremy Brown>ok ...what do you mean by drive?
[8:36:42 PM]<Customer>the car seemed very shaky is a good way to put it
[8:36:52 PM]<Customer>it wasn't a very smooth ride [8:37:20 PM]<Jeremy Brown>ok , so you like a vehicle With a stable smooth ride. What about the features what di you like there?
[8:38:25 PM]<Customer>I like all the safety that it offers, I am currently pregnant so I am looking for something with a lot of safety of course especially for the future
[8:38:59 PM]<Jeremy Brown>Congratulations! one last question what year was the Galant that you drove?
[8:39:29 PM]<Customer>oh my I have no idea. It was a friend of mines so i really am at a loss
[8:40:16 PM]<Customer>do you all offer a bluetooth compatibility program within any of your vehicles
[8:40:59 PM]<Jeremy Brown>thats ok...There are a LOT of safety features on the lancer ...from the R.I.S.E. chassis to the standard knee airbag . Mitsubishi takes safety serious.
[8:41:19 PM]<Jeremy Brown>on all my lancers in es grade and above I have Bluetooth installed.
[8:41:35 PM]<Jeremy Brown>I can email that information, what is your email address?
[8:42:01 PM]<Customer>it is emailremoved-at-aim.com
[8:42:13 PM]<Customer>thank you very much!
[8:42:26 PM]<Jeremy Brown>when would you like to schedule a test drive?
[8:43:29 PM]<Customer>well I will actually be out and about tomorrow, I may make it up that way. I live in Martinsburg, so depending on what all I accomplish in the morning will vary.
[8:43:42 PM]<Customer>will you be available tomorrow if I am able to stop by
[8:44:56 PM]<Jeremy Brown>I Unfortunately will be off tomorrow , However, I have My friend Stafford Horetz covering for me, He knows more about the lancers than I do! What time should I tell him you may be by so he can look for you?
[8:45:30 PM]<Customer>probably sometime between 9 am and 12pm
[8:45:41 PM]<Jeremy Brown>Normally i would come in , but my wife is 36 weeks pregnant and she has a doctors appointment tomorrow.
[8:46:26 PM]<Jeremy Brown>Sondra , if something would change where Stafford couldn't be available to help you tomorrow is there a number where he could reach you?
[8:46:28 PM]<Customer>ahh congratulations!! I am in that boat as well. The 36 week appointment is fun.
[8:47:49 PM]<Customer>yes, If i do not make it in tomorrow, Thursday would be ideal. That is when we are to have a decision made, hopefully fingers crossed. But the number is XXX-XXX-XXXX.
[8:48:53 PM]<Customer>Thank you for all of your help! Good luck!
[8:49:21 PM]<Jeremy Brown>That's great! I will give Stafford all your information, if for some reason you cant come in could you call him at XXX-XXX-XXXX?
[8:49:40 PM]<Jeremy Brown>How far along are you?
[8:49:58 PM]<Customer>yes definitely! 36 weeks as well.
[8:50:53 PM]<Jeremy Brown>haha so you do feel her pain....Good luck to you too! ...Thank you so much for chatting with me tonight!
[8:51:17 PM]<Customer>27 days to go! lol you're quite welcome!

ok ...let me have it!

IMO it was excellent Jeremy.

[8:34:22 PM]<Jeremy Brown>Awesome! the lancer is an excellent choice!
-Quick response, built excitement about and pointed towards a vehicle immediately

[8:34:33 PM]<Jeremy Brown>My name is Jeremy. And your name is?
-Asked for her name the right way

[8:35:22 PM]<Jeremy Brown>Sondra, The Lancer is available in a manual, Have you driven one yet?
[8:35:47 PM]<Customer>no I have not. I have however driven an automatic Galant in the past
[8:36:02 PM]<Jeremy Brown>What did you think of it?
-Found out if she had test driven it but didn't go for the test drive appointment - instead, got her opinion on likes/dislikes. Makes the customer feel important, that you are interested in what she thinks and feels. Excellent

Don't have enough time to continue - The connections made with the baby, etc, all very good. I don't see anything wrong with it.

I thought you did a pretty good job on that chat session. You did some nice rapport building and got all her information. You could have done a little more either/or question qualifying on her needs. I would have also tried to get her on the phone while on the chat session. When you move from chat to phone it becomes more personal and you have a much better chance of scheduling the appointment. I really think you could have gone for a tentative appointment and got it, especially if on the phone. The whole baby connection would have really helped you close the appointment. People bond with others when they find common ground.

I will jump in from a consumer point of view. The first on seemed to "salesmanish" if that makes sense. I would guess most of us use chat for quick answers to questions. If I was the customer on the 1st one I would have gotten turned off pretty quickly. The main goal of that one was to find out if a specific car was still available, it's not, time to move on. There was a chance to grab me with the 2nd car IF you sent me a direct link. That would give me the ability to click, see it, and talk about that car only.

The second one was well done, came off as "I am here to help you with your decision, not sell you something" I would be surprised if she does not come in, keep us posted.

Here is another one for everyone to critique. Have fun!!

Starting Time: 8/12/2010 6:32:59 PM Central Daylight Time
Agent: Jack Handy
VisitId: 8172463
Time to Answer (in seconds): 24
Origination: New & Used Cars for Sale, Auto Dealers, Car Reviews and Car Finance Advice
Context:
Year=2009
Make=Honda
Model=Fit
StockNumber=V1181201
VIN=JHMGE88679S071111
Price=15990
StockType=Used

Transcript:
[6:33:23 PM]<Jack Handy>Hello, How may I help you?
[6:33:49 PM]<Customer>hi! I came across this car the other day and I'm just curious as to why it's being offered for such a low price?
[6:35:20 PM]<Jack Handy>we try to price all of our pre owned vehicles competitively
[6:36:04 PM]<Jack Handy>when would you be available to stop by and take the fit for a drive?
[6:36:38 PM]<Customer>Well I actually live out of state, so i would have to be sure of the car before i drove up there
[6:37:01 PM]<Jack Handy>what is it about the car are you unsure about?
[6:38:02 PM]<Customer>just the fact that it has a nav system, keyless entry, all the qualities of the cars that i've looked at, usually go for about 18,000-19,000
[6:38:24 PM]<Jack Handy>Are the other cars also honda fits?
[6:38:32 PM]<Customer>yes sir
[6:38:53 PM]<Customer>honda fit sports, specifically
[6:39:24 PM]<Jack Handy>just to put your mind at ease let me double check the price
[6:39:39 PM]<Customer>ok
[6:41:00 PM]<Jack Handy>that price is correct!
[6:42:13 PM]<Jack Handy>unless you want to pay more :)
[6:42:46 PM]<Customer>hahaha that's quite alright! thank you for speaking with me, i have to think about it.
[6:43:06 PM]<Jack Handy>what are you going to think about?
[6:43:26 PM]<Customer>i have to consider car options with the rest of my family.
[6:43:41 PM]<Jack Handy>what other vehicles are you considering?
[6:45:02 PM]<Customer>we're just browsing at the moment
[6:47:28 PM]<Jack Handy> let me know when you would be available to stop by and take a look at some cars with me. Obviously the fit is priced to move being 2-3 thousand less than similar vehicles so chances are it will sell quickly.
[6:47:56 PM]<Customer>ok thank you!
[6:48:02 PM]<Jack Handy>I do have some other vehicles here with the same types of options if you are not set on the fit

Overall this was a decent chat session though it had some important missing elements.

We never introduced ourselves. Go for the customers first name..

-- Hello, I'm Jeff and you are?
or
-- I can help you! This is Jeff, and you are...

Now you can use the customers first name through out the chat.

[6:39:24 PM]<Jack Handy>just to put your mind at ease let me double check the price

-- too put your mind at ease let me have the manager double check the price for you, it should only take a minute or two.
-- while we wait, let me ask you; what is it about the Honda Fit you like so much?

This would allow the opportunity for the customer to open up while allowing you to build more rapport.

How about adding in a value proposition here as well

-- Did you know that all of our vehicles come with our "dealer program" that includes "this this and this"?

or take this time to touch on some more value point of the vehicle like a clean CarFax, 1 Owner, Local serviced....

How about some urgency...

-- Funny you ask; I've had a few other chats on this vehicle already today and they've asked the same question.
-- Yes, I have confirmed that this is the right price.

Rapport building and asking qualifying questions can always take you in a different direction in your chats. Give it a shot and see how it goes..

Remember, Chat is many times your first impression. Make it break it.

Anyone else have some suggestions for this chat??

I agree with Jeff. The first thing I noticed is the push on how great the price it. The customer is obviously aware of that to the point that it is detracting from their decision. If it is certified or if you have a clean CarFax report - why not mention it and use it as a tool to make the customer feel more at ease with this vehicle.

Also, urgency was lacking like Jeff said. Basically, you didn't address their concern and they shrugged you off saying they were just looking. It is a used car, it is priced well, and it has nice options - it isn't going to be around very long. There is nothing wrong, in my opinion, in making sure the customer knows what a great deal is available, and that the car is going to sell to someone very lucky soon. Certainly it attracted their attention out of state, it will definitely attract attention for others as well.

It was a nice dialog, but there wasn't much selling going on - either for the car or the appointment.

I'm not trying to be rude, just the things I noticed.