• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Dealer.com Site Performance

I think it might be Alex's site that is sucking all the juice out of Dealer.com's servers. All that custom work he has going on over there. ;)

@Joe, glad you brought that up. Google is going to be making some change with Caffeine and page load time is of course going to carry some substantial weight on results.

There are several references to this out there if you look..here is one...
Google Caffeine Update: Page Load Times Can Affect SEO Rankings | Off Madison Ave

Video: Matt Cutts Gives More Caffeine Details, Talks Site Speed

I wonder what happened to this...

"Dealer.com today announced that it has recently expanded its relationship with Akamai Technologies, Inc. to ensure that its SmartSites deliver the fastest, most reliable and secure web content available today. By leveraging Akamai's Web Application Accelerator(SM) service, Dealer.com is one of the only marketing vendors in the automotive industry to join the ranks of Fortune 500 companies and multi-national corporations that use Akamai's globally distributed computing platform to conduct business online."

Dealer.com Expands Relationship with Akamai to Ensure SmartSites Deliver the Fastest, Most Reliable and Secure Content in Automotive Industry

We have several OEM sites through dealer.com and I'm not seeing any issues with speed time.

Google is going to be making some change with Caffeine and page load time is of course going to carry some substantial weight on results.
I think this is something they've just recently confirmed, but that they've been using in their algo for sometime. A couple of revisions ago, our site homepage had in an embarassingly high 4 seconds before the first byte hit(a server condition and not a bandwidth one). I never really thought anything of it until I watched a focus group session. We rewrote the site, utilizing much better data and client side caching and now our homepage loads the first byte in a 1/10th of a second, and at least according to WMT, our average load time is 1.9 seconds.

But, what we saw from this change was dramatic; unbelievably so. Our homepage bounce rate went from 64% to 28%, our overall organic traffic increased almost 2 fold and our adsense earnings just about tripled.

And this was back in 2007.

Now I'm a page speed fanatic :).

I think this is something they've just recently confirmed, but that they've been using in their algo for sometime. A couple of revisions ago, our site homepage had in an embarassingly high 4 seconds before the first byte hit(a server condition and not a bandwidth one). I never really thought anything of it until I watched a focus group session. We rewrote the site, utilizing much better data and client side caching and now our homepage loads the first byte in a 1/10th of a second, and at least according to WMT, our average load time is 1.9 seconds.

But, what we saw from this change was dramatic; unbelievably so. Our homepage bounce rate went from 64% to 28%, our overall organic traffic increased almost 2 fold and our adsense earnings just about tripled.

And this was back in 2007.

Now I'm a page speed fanatic :).

Chip

Could you take a look at my site www.carchat24.com and tell me what you think I can do to speed it up?

Chip

Could you take a look at my site www.carchat24.com and tell me what you think I can do to speed it up?

I noticed you have 2 404 not found errors when loading your site you should look at.

Your complete site loaded in 3 seconds for me which is pretty fast. The main HTML downloaded in 500ms which is pretty good. VinSolutions.com HTML loads in 115ms for a comparison, so there is always room for improvement.

Only tip I have is making sure you minimize and cache any database and external requests that are required for the page to load. Beyond that maybe your server is too busy. You can also cache the page on the server. I have no idea how to do that in Apache/PHP.

Google has a Firefox plug-in called Page Speed as well that can give recommendations about things
http://code.google.com/speed/page-speed/

Google's Page Speed plug-in for Firefox and Firebug gives a lot of suggestions about how to speed up a page. But no matter what you do a page won't be perfect.

Using Page Speed

page-speed.png

Last edited: