• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Dealer.com Sites are Down!!!

Just my opinion, but more than any site provider, DDC needs to bite the bullet and rewrite in responsive. I see so many issues with these sites, speed, downtime, indexing (covered on DR extensively). You know they realize it, but Cox likely dreads the massive capital investment to make it happen. Oldest automotive platform out there today, correct?

Just my opinion, but more than any site provider, DDC needs to bite the bullet and rewrite in responsive. I see so many issues with these sites, speed, downtime, indexing (covered on DR extensively). You know they realize it, but Cox likely dreads the massive capital investment to make it happen. Oldest automotive platform out there today, correct?

I thought the sites were responsive on the front-end.
Most of their recent issues appear to be platform issues on the back-end.
Hard to make the argument that you should rewrite everything when your competition is cleaning up using Wordpress.

Reactions: Alexander Lau
Laughable at their lack of being able to scale with THAT much money thrown at them. What a joke!
The funny thing, this thread will count the number of times they go down.

I'm not so sure their sites are unresponsive from a front end perspective. That's a 5 years ago issue for groups.

Laughable at their lack of being able to scale with THAT much money thrown at them. What a joke!

They scaled up to 13,000 dealership websites and thousands of daily ad campaigns over a 20 year run. That doesn't sound laughable to me. Technology changes and I know one of their biggest initiatives has been to move off of old server systems into a bigger cloud-based world. It is the nature of how technology works.

I'm not saying we should give them a pass for poor performance, but I do take a little issue with calling them a laughable and a joke. They do deserve some credit…. at least $1.2 billion worth ;)

I'm not so sure their sites are unresponsive from a front end perspective.

You're correct. They use an adaptive approach with the marketing term "seamless" to define it. @georgenenni can you explain why you think this approach is hurting them?

While I agree that what they accomplished is an impressive feat, I also have to agree that they should have some sort of redundancy in place.
This is the second time they've had a full network outage. That leads me to believe that they don't have proper redundancies or a deployment structure that allows 1 piece to fail independently of others. If a networking outage in 1 location takes down the entire network, there's something missing.

A distributed cloud solution is probably their best bet. Will take time, but in the long run will allow them to clone, distribute and replicate much easier.

In a world of kubernetes and docker and AWS, this sort of outage should be a thing of the past.

• Useful
Reactions: Alexander Lau
They scaled up to 13,000 dealership websites and thousands of daily ad campaigns over a 20 year run. That doesn't sound laughable to me. Technology changes and I know one of their biggest initiatives has been to move off of old server systems into a bigger cloud-based world. It is the nature of how technology works.

I'm not saying we should give them a pass for poor performance, but I do take a little issue with calling them a laughable and a joke. They do deserve some credit…. at least $1.2 billion worth ;)

You're correct. They use an adaptive approach with the marketing term "seamless" to define it. @georgenenni can you explain why you think this approach is hurting them?
I respectfully disagree. They were sold for what, $1B?!? Your "joke" is funny. :)

I'm sorry, that should have allotted for a new server structure and a half and the support team and redundancy plan to go with it. The nature of technology... look they should have been all over it with that kind of money and support. There are really zero excuses here, except for piss poor planning on their part. Craig is right, as usual.

Last edited: