• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Dealer Rater Ad Policy

Re: Dealers Beware of Dealer Rater!

This may read like I'm trying to bust your chops, I'm really not. These are honest questions and I hope you will take them that way. I'm not smart enough to be a smarta**.

Paul Rushing and I did rounds about "leaks" here on DR before the forums when I worked for Cars.com. I did a quick search and Mullinax owns the banner space over every piece of inventory you are listing on ATC and your own OEM bought that space on Cars. Are you unplugging from those sites as well? A Google search for "Gary Yeomans Ford" returns some interesting stuff too. The only entity with SEM, Mullinax Ford. Did you kill every dollar that you devoted to SEM in protest? Further down the page is this header that lists every competitor you have in the market.
Pages similar to www.garyyeomansford.com

Where is Paul Rushing anyway? I'm sure if I type his name a few more times some slick widget spider thing I don't understand will find this post;)

Paul and I kicked this around 10 different ways so I'm curious where you stand on it. My position was always that the web is a Real Estate business. Somebody has it and demand sets the value to the individual. No offense, but your perception of value changed dramatically once your competition bought the space, right? That's not any different than the billboard one block from your store that McDonalds currently owns. If they relinquish it and Mullinax decides it's worth the money to have it so that you don't, the value proposition changes for everybody.

Again, not trying to be ugly, just asking some questions.

This may read like I'm trying to bust your chops, I'm really not. These are honest questions and I hope you will take them that way. I'm not smart enough to be a smarta**.

Paul Rushing and I did rounds about "leaks" here on DR before the forums when I worked for Cars.com. I did a quick search and Mullinax owns the banner space over every piece of inventory you are listing on ATC and your own OEM bought that space on Cars. Are you unplugging from those sites as well? A Google search for "Gary Yeomans Ford" returns some interesting stuff too. The only entity with SEM, Mullinax Ford. Did you kill every dollar that you devoted to SEM in protest? Further down the page is this header that lists every competitor you have in the market.
Pages similar to www.garyyeomansford.com

Where is Paul Rushing anyway? I'm sure if I type his name a few more times some slick widget spider thing I don't understand will find this post;)

Paul and I kicked this around 10 different ways so I'm curious where you stand on it. My position was always that the web is a Real Estate business. Somebody has it and demand sets the value to the individual. No offense, but your perception of value changed dramatically once your competition bought the space, right? That's not any different than the billboard one block from your store that McDonalds currently owns. If they relinquish it and Mullinax decides it's worth the money to have it so that you don't, the value proposition changes for everybody.

Again, not trying to be ugly, just asking some questions.

This could not have been said better. Time and time again I have dealers complaining when they see their competition in the sponsored links in Google. When I explain what PPC consists of they always feel that it is not fair. The web is still very new to a majority of businesses and you hit the nail on the head with the Real Estate reference.

Does someone from Google contact you everytime their is paid search being bought in your City?

Dealer Rater offers to list your inventory for "free" on YOUR Facebook account ( my inventory is fed to my Facebook account daily, automatically for free, by ME). If you go to someones Facebook that uses Dealer Rater's "free" service, you will see a link to Dealer Raters own site where they give your customers every opportunity to shop elsewhere and market directly to your customer. How much does a free service cost you? Could be thousands is my guess.....99/mo and all the traffic from your Facebook inventory page they can swoop...I'm out

Tom Kelly

When your Certified DealerRater page shows more positive reviews than any of your competitors - why would the shopper be lured away by an ad for your competitor who has far less positive reviews?

I don't have a problem with the model that DealerRater uses for selling ad space. We are confident that our strong online reputation on DealerRater and other online rating sites creates more sales than the CTR on buying that ad on your certified page (tried it - did not track any sales...). I would spend more time focusing on putting in a great process to build your online reputation with more positive reviews than worrying about a competitor's ad on your page. And btw - is this any different than AutoTrader or Cars.com where you pay to put your inventory up, but your competitors can place ads all over the page next to your inventory???