DealerRefresh Top100

Mercedes-Benz and Sprinter.
IMO: mercedes is a pain :)
It took me years to find a tech company that saw value in my Auto experience. I've waited patiently at my current tech company to now remind them Auto is different. To be fair, the good stuff in Auto lives in a bit of vacuum. I see a light at the end of the tunnel. Worst case, the tech folks that listen to the good Auto folks will win big.

Brian Kramer has been a great follow. Car Dealership Guy (now publicly Yossi Levi), too.

Noted. I was going to ask who has the best prospect to do so and what do they need...but following replies answered some of this. I like the cloud-native and open approach that Fortellis and Tekion have to build these types of things.

Maybe the money is on Tekion? The appetite to feed them the data to make a great scheduler seems to be high.

Can you expand on this?

Based on some other threads, Tekion has been open to feedback on reporting and analytics.

What do you want for enterprise functionality outside of reporting?

Status?

Process?

Stages?
Destroying xtime would be a very good idea. we are working on our own inhouse one but an enterprise level would make a lot of sense.

I've also seen vendors overplay the "they sold cars" hand. Not going to lie, for a performance manager my first thought is always "if they were so good at selling cars, they'd probably still be doing it."

What about tech guys that overplay that "they were a vendor"? :D:D

I can't beat my chest with the 1 year I had working on an open floor before getting picked up by a vendor.

Though, I'd accept the truth of whether or not vendors/dealers actually see value in me supplying comms to a space I worked in for a good while.

Destroying xtime would be a very good idea. we are working on our own inhouse one but an enterprise level would make a lot of sense.

I don't have any allegiance to Cox in any way. Let's make it happen.

NADA was eye opening for much of my team. Vonage is making a run at Auto.

Last edited:
Reactions: Todd Thompson
What about tech guys that overplay that "they were a vendor"? :D:D
I certainly think the experience adds value, but when my vAuto rep reminds me on every call that he sold cars...

I think it's great that you have a little bit of several pieces. It's just like having to start at the bottom of a sales department and having to work your way all the way through. It definitely helps.

but when my vAuto rep reminds me on every call that he sold cars...

Very fair. "Back when I..." to a GM/Owner is real cute. It's a classic attempt to alignment when they don't really have it.

Slippery slope. Though, if that vAuto rep also worked at a multitude of vendors he/she should focus on that experience.

I had to make a decision. At the time it was finance manager or vendor. Neither was a bad decision.

As a vendor, "Dealers are telling me,... Is it true?" seemed like a better approach.

Very fair. "Back when I..." to a GM/Owner is real cute. It's a classic attempt to alignment when they don't really have it.

Slippery slope. Though, if that vAuto rep also worked at a multitude of vendors he/she should focus on that experience.

I had to make a decision. At the time it was finance manager or vendor. Neither was a bad decision.

As a vendor, "Dealers are telling me,... Is it true?" seemed like a better approach.
Yes, I would say so. Finance Manager is a like a get in free card for any dealership. Being a vendor allows you the opportunity to engage with any number of dealers/businesses. Of course, you can get job offers from the dealership, too. :rofl:

I like it when vendors ask how business is going when they have experience and mix it with "what I'm hearing is..." It takes some time as a vendor without experience to really understand what they are hearing from other dealers to use it as an actual valuable conversation tool. I have had vendors who ask this and you can tell it's forced and they don't really know what to do with it. If you're just asking me it because it's part of your script and you don't understand it, I have better things to talk about.

I have a partner who I have been using for a few years now and when I had a PM who seemed to understand the business it was a lot better experience. My new PM clearly is trying to follow the same script, but she doesn't get it, so it's hollow and I'm just ready to get down to business.

It feels like I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth here, but I think you get the point.

Reactions: Will G.
Yes, I would say so. Finance Manager is a like a get in free card for any dealership. Being a vendor allows you the opportunity to engage with any number of dealers/businesses. Of course, you can get job offers from the dealership, too. :rofl:

Diversify! You get my play here...I landed at a solid vendor, too.

It takes some time as a vendor without experience to really understand what they are hearing from other dealers to use it as an actual valuable conversation tool. I have had vendors who ask this and you can tell it's forced and they don't really know what to do with it. If you're just asking me it because it's part of your script and you don't understand it, I have better things to talk about.

I have a partner who I have been using for a few years now and when I had a PM who seemed to understand the business it was a lot better experience. My new PM clearly is trying to follow the same script, but she doesn't get it, so it's hollow and I'm just ready to get down to business.

It feels like I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth here, but I think you get the point.

This is a good point. I've been both the offender and the genuine in this.

When I didn't know **** I was on the phone in a bullpen selling net-new. Not a PM or AM. That script was 90 seconds to get in the fight then moving forward with gut...good questions got better. Eventually, there was a new thought I was driving and it made sense.

Moving to the field working with existing customers, I learned more. I was the sales rep that joined the PM. I'd (try to) stay quiet until I had value to add. The osmosis was gold. Otherwise, it was clear I was there to sell something from the beginning and I was just "the haircut that flew in".

Auto vendors are definitely guilty of keeping C+ talent around. The dealers suffer when they do. Sometimes, though, you get someone that gives a shit and wants to learn. Then, they pollinate throughout their market.

Depending on the day or the year I walked into your dealership (Boise to El Paso...out to CA to cover) I was anywhere from a C- to a B+.

Last edited:
Two theories on past dealers turned vendors:

1) they weren't very good at being a dealer or only served as someone who interacted with customers. Dealership management is a constant firefight where you're jumping from one burning tree to another. Getting down to business is more appreciated than chit-chat.

2) they've forgotten what it was like to be a dealer. The vendor (and OEM) world looks further out. It requires remembering what was done in the past (especially when it comes to product) and having clear vision for where you're trying to go. The dealer sales world is a lot less complex. It is all about how many cars we sold this month. Harping on what happened last year or last quarter isn't relevant to most dealers. And if you share the vision pieces, you need to be pretty damn close to achieving them. It is a month-to-month world.

Either way, vendors should keep conversations focused on what needs to be achieved quickly. If any of my people aren't doing that, by all means, call us out!

Everyone wants to feel like their story is unique, and that narrative is what sets them apart and why you should trust them. It's human nature. The problem is actually doing something truly unique is hard, so people embellish and add color to their past. When people switch from dealership to vendor or vice versa they pump up their stats a bit.

Here is my advice for how to deal with this:

1. Call it out: do this quickly and brutally. Then give them a chance to level set
2. Pump them up: Wow you sound like you've really seen some things. Here is what I need your brain power on...

I have been in camp 1 most of my career, I just don't have the energy to fight every time, 2 is easier and I get better results.