DealerRefresh Top100

Digital Retailing is the future according to General Motors:hide:We are all currently being mandated to implement a Tekion powered DR platform that is apparently already up and running on some Cadillac sites. Are there any GM dealers in here that have thoughts?
Does this mean that they are giving up on Shop. Click. Drive? I think DR has a place and I think it will continue to grow, but I've tried several different DR products here in NE Missouri and the only people that usually use them are people with bad credit. I still believe that a large portion of people want to do SOME of the process online, but as soon as they feel they are getting far enough down the funnel that they would actually BUY the car online, they stop. The most success I've found with any tool is @Alex Snyder's payment tool which has everything that a DR tool has, but there is no unnecessary push to actually complete the purchase online. They can send us their info saying that they do want to buy it, but they don't actually have to complete the process online. I think that's really what customers want. Some but not all.

Reactions: Alex Snyder
Yep this will replace Shop Click Drive. At first glance, it doesn't seems that much different.

However - what is different this time is Tekion. With a fully mandated DR tool that will have hooks into DMS and CRM i'm thinking that GM is looking to own the technology stack making a deeper move into online retail. This is all purely based on gut feeling but it's sending all the correct red flags.

Reactions: joe.pistell
Yep this will replace Shop Click Drive. At first glance, it doesn't seems that much different.

However - what is different this time is Tekion. With a fully mandated DR tool that will have hooks into DMS and CRM i'm thinking that GM is looking to own the technology stack making a deeper move into online retail. This is all purely based on gut feeling but it's sending all the correct red flags.
But wouldn't a dealer have to be using Tekion DMS for it to be relevant?

But wouldn't a dealer have to be using Tekion DMS for it to be relevant?

That's the beauty of their deal - all of us are switching to their platform which will live on all tier 1 and 3 sites in harmony with any and all DMS types. At first glance, it's just a plugin. The suspicion is that the amount of approved DMS vendors will slippery-slope themselves down to 1.

Looking at some of the larger Cadillac stores that are current pilot stores, seems fairly broken and unoriginal which only reinforces the idea that this is less about moving the needle towards the dream of Tesla-level digital retail and more about unifying the underlying data management at the dealership. Again - totally just my suspicion.

As an outsider, this sends off bells and whistles for me.
GM is looking to lock down their dealerships in an effort to?
A. provide a uniform experience
B. under the guise of A, lock down the dealers.

As an end product user, a car that cost almost 10X what a Volkswagen Fox did in the late 80's, I'd want to make sure what my 2-3 years of salary is really what I want.

Also, I am wondering the if the Teslsa model is being taken up by GM. And others will follow?
they have dealer franchise agreements that'll keep them from getting too excited. And realistically... tesla has a servicing issue and seems to be opening brick and mortar to address that. So kind of going the other way in a sense. Turns out shipping your car isn't so great lol

Looking at some of the larger Cadillac stores that are current pilot stores, seems fairly broken and unoriginal which only reinforces the idea that this is less about moving the needle towards the dream of Tesla-level digital retail and more about unifying the underlying data management at the dealership. Again - totally just my suspicion.

Using Cadillac as a pilot for an advanced DR tool seems like a arrow missing the mark, badly. From what I can tell Tekion has great products and can streamline a ton if you're on the full product suite. But I have a hard time believing it will help Cadillac stores based on my (admitted) stereotype of a Cadillac buyer. Could be wrong but maybe they should pilot it with EVs before jumping to a customer base likely resistant to DR tools like Cadillac? If they're targeting Tesla's sales experience start with an apple to apple comparison.

Using Cadillac as a pilot for an advanced DR tool seems like a arrow missing the mark, badly. From what I can tell Tekion has great products and can streamline a ton if you're on the full product suite. But I have a hard time believing it will help Cadillac stores based on my (admitted) stereotype of a Cadillac buyer. Could be wrong but maybe they should pilot it with EVs before jumping to a customer base likely resistant to DR tools like Cadillac? If they're targeting Tesla's sales experience start with an apple to apple comparison.
You're in luck, the Tekion DRP (digital retailing platform) is also going to be used for all GM EV sales.

If we are still in the camp of believing all new vehicles sold will be EV's in 5 years, 10 years, 15 years, 50 years, etc - the question then becomes what happens to a dealership's existing "ICE and pre-owned" website, CRM, and DMS?