• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Dealers flooding review sites with fake user reviews

You are going to have a hard time convincing many of us that it isn't wide spread and poorly enforced. It is going to become common knowledge that reviews are being jicked. It will be another black eye for the car business.

Dealer subterfuge is inevitable and unable to be policed. But it's also irrelevant. Sites, opinions, "WORDS" will be everywhere - clients will not rely on one page or site to form their complete opinion any more than they rely on one site to shop.

You can't police "Social" anymore than you can police the murmurs in the crowd.

I agree that a lot of Google Places reviews are weak, but what is a dealer that's not in a major metro area to do? It seems that we get very little traffic to sites like Yelp, etc. I know many customers are finding us on Google, so do we still worry about all the other potential review sites as well? There is very little DealerRater activity in our area also.

ej,

Build your own that at least shows under your name and that you can email customers without the fear that they can see or link to other dealers.

Klein Honda Reviews

John, I know this came off as very negative. Honestly, I like Ryan. There are dealerships that put in a lot of effort to do things the right way. It is really frustrating to see obvious fake reviews. They usually sound like they were written by Engish majors.

Ryan, what is the incentive for DealerRater to enforce penalties when the dealer is "Dealer Rater Certified"?

Thanks for asking the question, it didn't sound negative to me at all...let me take a stab at convincing you. I completely agree with you that it will become common knowledge that some sites aren't as credible as others, and ultimately our success in what is becoming a populated space depends on maintaining our review integrity. In a sense you've answered your own question, the payoff for us to strictly enforce our TOU, especially for certified dealers, is the eventuality that consumers will gravitate to trusted sources for review content because they are wary of gaming the system.

I've referred to this before as the ABC's of Review sites; Authenticity, Believability, Credibility, these are the key differentiators between marketing sites like Yago builds where a dealer has editorial privilege and DealerRater. The consumer gravitates to verified content from an independent and trustworthy source. They show a strong preference for unbiased 3rd party review data over self-populated testimonial pages, for example, and they are very savvy about sniffing out the fishy stuff. If you go back through this thread and look at some of the screen caps of obvious manipulation I think you'll agree that it doesn't take long before a customer is conditioned to discredit the source, not just the individual review. To Brice's point, and mine earlier in the thread, Google can't afford to lose credibility by allowing this kind of gaming of their platform. I expect the gaming to get worse with the "freshness" update.

I won't share ALL the methods we employ, and no doubt you can't be 100% effective, but IP tracking and filtering, GUID tracking and filtering, live-eyes on every review, and my favorite, real investigation of reported reviews (we contact reviewers on occasion and ask for key data to verify their claim, ie "what is the VIN of the car you say you bought from dealer x?") do affect content. All of these things play a significant role in preserving the integrity, the ABC's, of reviews on DealerRater.

We are by no means a non-profit, but don't confuse that with bias or partiality. A lot of what you pay for is training and the tools to build and leverage reviews and reconcile negatives when possible. I have plenty of certified dealers that get mad when negative reviews post and multiple reviews from the same IP don't. I've also turned down several dealers that offer to certify if we'll just remove that one negative review. You can't buy editorial privilege and reported reviews are investigated and removed regardless of your certification status. We think that can only help us as consumer awareness of gaming becomes more prevalent.

Nothing. There is a University a few miles away. I could put up a "help wanted" sign up in the English department, and start my own Reputation Mangement company. I can teach them how to avoid duplicate IPs.

I dunno... I know a few English majors who've risen through the ranks pretty quickly in today's age of EVERYTHING being written in some format or another... Want to stand-out in today's workforce? Write well. :)

I dunno... I know a few English majors who've risen through the ranks pretty quickly in today's age of EVERYTHING being written in some format or another... Want to stand-out in today's workforce? Write well. :)

John, I remember my college days, I found Fine Arts, Drama and Education majors to be the easiest. I went to school on the GI Bill and was in and out of the Veterans hospital in Waco. Getting a degree was important to me but I wasn't able to do manual labor. I made my best grades when I was having fun. You can tell by my spell'n and punctuation that I was not an English major.

Ryan, I don't doubt your sincerity. Most of us know the bad apples in our markets and the ones that are using Reputation Management.

Thanks for asking the question, it didn't sound negative to me at all...let me take a stab at convincing you. I completely agree with you that it will become common knowledge that some sites aren't as credible as others, and ultimately our success in what is becoming a populated space depends on maintaining our review integrity. In a sense you've answered your own question, the payoff for us to strictly enforce our TOU, especially for certified dealers, is the eventuality that consumers will gravitate to trusted sources for review content because they are wary of gaming the system.

I've referred to this before as the ABC's of Review sites; Authenticity, Believability, Credibility, these are the key differentiators between marketing sites like Yago builds where a dealer has editorial privilege and DealerRater. The consumer gravitates to verified content from an independent and trustworthy source. They show a strong preference for unbiased 3rd party review data over self-populated testimonial pages, for example, and they are very savvy about sniffing out the fishy stuff. If you go back through this thread and look at some of the screen caps of obvious manipulation I think you'll agree that it doesn't take long before a customer is conditioned to discredit the source, not just the individual review. To Brice's point, and mine earlier in the thread, Google can't afford to lose credibility by allowing this kind of gaming of their platform. I expect the gaming to get worse with the "freshness" update.

I won't share ALL the methods we employ, and no doubt you can't be 100% effective, but IP tracking and filtering, GUID tracking and filtering, live-eyes on every review, and my favorite, real investigation of reported reviews (we contact reviewers on occasion and ask for key data to verify their claim, ie "what is the VIN of the car you say you bought from dealer x?") do affect content. All of these things play a significant role in preserving the integrity, the ABC's, of reviews on DealerRater.

We are by no means a non-profit, but don't confuse that with bias or partiality. A lot of what you pay for is training and the tools to build and leverage reviews and reconcile negatives when possible. I have plenty of certified dealers that get mad when negative reviews post and multiple reviews from the same IP don't. I've also turned down several dealers that offer to certify if we'll just remove that one negative review. You can't buy editorial privilege and reported reviews are investigated and removed regardless of your certification status. We think that can only help us as consumer awareness of gaming becomes more prevalent.

Ryan,

It sounds good but that is putting a lot of trust in your gig. What if I'm 1 store and next to me there is a 30 store group that pays Dealer over $100,000 a year? What are the chances of you being more lenient towards them?

Wouldn't be better to have a biz model like Yelp's? Put any reviews, we will enforce the system, pay for advertising so there is no link between your money and the ability to put/not to put reviews up.

Dealer subterfuge is inevitable and unable to be policed. But it's also irrelevant. Sites, opinions, "WORDS" will be everywhere - clients will not rely on one page or site to form their complete opinion any more than they rely on one site to shop.

You can't police "Social" anymore than you can police the murmurs in the crowd.

No doubt it is tough to police this kind of content. We commit a tremendous amount of resources to the task, but like most tough things, it is valuable to do so. I spoke to our Director of Content Moderation and Fraud this afternoon and since we are talking about "gaming review content" I have an interesting "game" for my DealerRefresh friends.

Everybody loves Closest to the Pin, right?

Here's the pin:

In the past 6 months, how many reviews have been removed from DealerRater for Terms of Use violations?

I will send a DealerRater love gift of various DealerRater tchotchkis to the dealership that guesses closest. Vendors can play, and if I like you, you might just win something too. (DealerRater isn't biased, but I might be ;) )

Email me your best guess and I'll announce the winner at the end of the week...