• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Dealers Superimposing their Pictures in Front of the Dealership

What do you mean guys!? This SHIT is the REALLLLZZ!!!
clark-howard_576872301.png

Dude, "Inventory aware AR" via phone/tablet app is such a home run for our space! Especially for big stores. Someone's gonna build it!

• Useful
Reactions: Alexander Lau
just bringing the inventory management software space to where it should be today since the big players have been relatively stagnant for the past 10 years.

So true Ryan.

Merchandising Rule #1). Shoppers don't know cars.

Our invisible shopper just got a new job and his base SUV is 8 yrs old. He's comparing a stuffed up $75K Chevrolet SUV against other brands.

He sees this:
upload_2018-2-23_9-21-12.png

Our shopper mutters...
"WTF am I looking at???"
"ugh... are you going to force me to make my eyes bleed and force me to scan thru 1000 features on that TLDR bullet list???"

Vendors, you can do this! (I did it manually about 10 yrs ago!)

It puzzles me that there is soooo little creativity among ALL dealers when it comes to Inventory photos.

Dealer photos are EASILY the best marketing weapon the dealer has. I have yet to see ANY dealer step outside the box and have some fun!

Has anyone seen a dealer do crazy stuff in their photos? Where is the uber creative mind of @Mitch Gallant ? I bet he's tinkered with this theme.

@JoePistell how outside of the box are you thinking? Photo shoots with cars and models? That's been done... many times.

We use 1 overlay and it's only on the first image. Yes, it's a bit ego driven.

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 10.16.07 AM.png

What drives me crazy is the image size - 640x560 ... Really? I've asked several times to have larger images but it seems to fall in deaf ears.

What's funny is on some websites, the photo on the VDP is actually bigger than the photo in the "enlarged" photo popup. So when a customer clicks enlarge, it actually gets smaller.

When I was doing dealership marketing, we had a site with this exact issue.
We complained and their response was to remove the modal, so now you can't pretend to enlarge the photo at all.
I still see that same site (and many other sites from the same vendor) still doing this 6 years later.

You can save a massive photo at respectable quality under 200kb.
It's embarrassing that polaroids are considered passable in a world of retina and 4k displays.

What's everyone's opinion on a zillow-like VDP photo layout? Gives customers a better idea of the overall vehicle with less clicks.

I'm always hearing from Realtor friends that they hate Zillow (much like dealers hate Autotrader) because their clients prefer the usability of Zillow vs the Realtor approved sites.

zillow vdp.JPG

zillow.JPG

Reactions: Robin Miller
What drives me crazy is the image size - 640x560 ... Really?

I'll add to that and ask

"Dear Vendor, when serving images, be device aware.
  1. On desktop, allow the dealers to serve up rich hi-res images on their websites. It will give the dealer an opportunity to serve up a new UX vs the classified sites.
  2. On Mobile, speed trumps resolution.
If I were asked to pick one to work on 1st, mobile's share of traffic makes this an easy pick... I believe high speed trumps high resolution.

p.s. I believe you should test the engagement performance and merchandising opportunities of Texas Direct's stacked images *vdp link* vs the traditional swipe.