• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Chubbard

Full Sticker + Prep
Oct 4, 2016
First Name
Crystal
Hi All,

I'm in the process of migrating my company's blog from a subdomain to a subfolder on our site. Has anyone else done this, and if so, do you recommend just 301-ing all those subdomain URLs? This has been suggested to me by our current blog host (it's tied in with our CRM--one of many reasons why we're taking control of things), but I'm leery of having so many redirects coming into our main site.

Any thoughts,suggestions, or major things to watch out for would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Yes. You should 301. Subfolder is the way to go. Before doing the 301 first check the external links... to the blog in GWT. If they are all spammy or questionable domains... is it worth getting that link value... may be clean them up... before doing the move by disavow tool. Once google picks up the 301 it no longer looks at the URL on the original domain. And it should have no negative impact. Only positive if you have good links to the blog now