• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Death of Pandora? AT&T charging for mobile usage

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
Staff member
May 1, 2006
Awards
First Name
Alex
Bob Lefsetz is one of a few people I follow outside of the car business. He's definitely got the pulse of the music business and I've found a few parallels between the things he says on the music industry and the automotive industry. Anyway....I enjoy keeping up with him.

I read on MacRumors that AT&T was changing their subscription policy for monthly bandwidth usage on mobile devices, but didn't think about what this move might kill until the latest from Bob came over:

Bob Lesfetz said:
http://lefsetz.com/wordpress

Uh-oh.

With AT&T announcing limited wireless data plans, the unavailability of an unlimited plan unless you are a legacy customer, what does this mean for services that depend on streaming via the cloud, like Pandora?

Pandora may be making money, but once its users find out they've got to pay to listen to that music, will they?

I'd say this is a bonus for satellite radio, but it appears Sirius XM has shot itself in the foot. Its programming is barely different from that broadcast for free, its only advantage is a lack of commercials on music channels. Whereas Pandora is something completely different, modern. I prefer Sirius XM to Pandora, but perception is everything in today's society, and the perception of Sirius XM is awful.

And the perception is you can listen to Pandora anywhere! But will that now be true?

You must understand that you don't profit by researching what the public has to say. Because the public hasn't seen the future. Conventional wisdom is people don't want to rent music. But isn't it funny that people rented movies, then bought them and are now renting them again? Yup, the trip to the video store and the threat of late fees was replaced by low cost DVDs and now Netflix and Redbox rule. So, when you say people won't rent music, you're pulling this statistic out of your behind.

This is all a set-up for the modern music app. Most people have never used one, and have no concept of how they work.

Spotify and Rhapsody and MOG...have either delivered or are promising auto-sync with playlists that live on your hand-held. I've used the Spotify version, it allows slightly more than 2,000 tracks to live on your iPhone permanently, well, as long as you continue to pay the monthly fee. In other words, you can listen to your favorite tracks on the top of Mt. Everest, in the backwoods, where there is no cell signal, assuming you've got juice. Sure, you can still stream via the cloud, but many will prefer not to if they've got to pay.

Few are going to pay bandwidth charges to listen to supposedly free Pandora. It's a contradiction in terms. How is Pandora the new model if you're paying for it, and you're paying the dreaded AT&T, not even Westergren and his buddies, certainly not the artists.

Will Verizon follow AT&T's lead? Indicators say so. T-Mobile's got such a shitty high speed network, they almost don't matter here. But Sprint probably won't cap usage, they need some kind of advantage to avoid hemorrhaging customers.

So here we have the music business, once again, with its tiny mass being flung around by powers much larger than itself. Believe me, AT&T's goal is not to kill Pandora, but to put a dent in usage by those using their hand-helds like desktops. Pandora is just collateral damage. But when are the rights holders in the music business going to peer into the future instead of burying their heads in the sand and imploring everyone to come back to the past? Pandora paid, it exposed the public to new artists, you kill it and then what?

Last week I asked a friend of mine if she remembered the days when Pandora use to send out emails asking you to listen and refer more people... I think the message was " we need your help..." The emails stopped when the 3G iPhone came out. I like Pandora. I dont like what ATT is trying to do. It reminds me of Europe... "you have to pay for everything" ...

Has anyone thought to think that this if free market America at its best?

Believe me when I say that ATT has the market research and knowing of what their customers use the bandwidth for. And, this new pricing will make a lot of customers (Both ATT and other) to look at their rate-plans. If you look at the average customers usage on ATT, I bet this new plan will save them $5/month. ATT is probably making a calculated bet that as the phone market and smart-phones grow, people will eventually use more data (more $$), but that will give them time to grow.

It reminds me of Europe... "you have to pay for everything" ...
It has been said, and I believe, that a small majority of the data users use a majority of the bandwidth - ya, let those guys pay, not the normal users like myself and most other people.

Remember - Apple gave the contract to ATT, ATT has the control right now. If so many people are pissed off at ATT for starting to charge, and changing the plans - then don't sign up with ATT. If it becomes a major concern that new subs start to stagnate, and Apple pays attention - the free market system will work it out.

No. I don't think cell phone carriers will do right by their customers ever. It's just not a true free market. Upstarts require incredible capitalization just to get their foot in the door. Entrepreneurship is the cornerstone of a free market, and without it the guys at the top will just keep taking more and more money over-valuing their service into oblivion.

This will not kill Pandora...

How quick people forget that the Iphone is not even the top smart phone on the market...

Now add to that growing options from Sprint and others as well as the Iphone coming to Verizon...

If anything this will kill AT&T not Pandora.