• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Define A BETTER Dealership website...

Joe,
It's an outrageously boring website, no pictures, spitty text. I predict it does no business at all. :)

Ling

Yup. That's why I picked it. I didn't agree with: "Just get unique visitor numbers up, everything else will follow. Stop trying to wring it out"

So, if your site sucks...
Cash%20Down%20Toilet.jpg

..spending money (and time) getting more unique visitors is stoopid.

Reactions: 1 person
The reality is that different customers respond differently to different websites.
I constantly ask clients (non-automotive) to tell me what their favourite sites are before we do any work - many of the sites would shock you.

Technically speaking, if you increase visitors you will also increase the number of visitors that your site DOES work for as well. (Ie: 5% of your customers like this terrible website you have - that should carry thorough to new traffic as well).

Obviously I still agree that websites need to be amazing, but the definition of amazing is set by the customers and not by vendors or website owners.

Ling has a major advantage that the website isn't handicapped by manufacturers and compliance issues that U.S. car dealers have to deal with.

I find it really hard to believe that "in the land of the free" etc, you have this issue. Are you men, or mice?

Good job Adolf Hitler didn't offer a franchise opportunity to the Japanese, you would have had your hands completely tied.

Ling

Reactions: 1 person
Ling has a major advantage that the website isn't handicapped by manufacturers and compliance issues that U.S. car dealers have to deal with.

Understand this is off-topic... but:

...and as an aside (as you are a Toyota dealer), I am becoming increasingly convinced that Toyota are sponsoring the Islamic State, as EVERY single vehicle I see of theirs, on TV, is a Toyota pick-up. I once saw a Nissan, but it turns out it belonged to the Kurds.

What supply agreement does Toyota have, exactly, with the Islamic State? What % rebate do they get?

:)

Ling

I'd say Ling's website has more to do with drop shipping than anything else. If Ling was running an actual dealership that had 300 cars on her lot, I think the site would look and behave much different. Which brings up a good question...

Ling, if you were an American car dealership, what would your dealer website look like?

I'd say Ling's website has more to do with drop shipping than anything else. If Ling was running an actual dealership that had 300 cars on her lot, I think the site would look and behave much different. Which brings up a good question...

I don't think it would have to look different. She can still offer many of the same things on in-stock vehicles.
Even if the process was different, the website could be the same layout and design.

Ling, if you were an American car dealership, what would your dealer website look like?

Our marketplace & car shoppers are very different.
In the US, There are 22,000 new car dealerships. Each Dealer has hundreds of cars in stock, ready for delivery... today.

All car shoppers, on their way to work, drive by a dozen Dealers that have thousands of cars in stock ready for sale and fast delivery. Shoppers will go to several dealerships, see, touch, feel and smell the inventory. When they're ready, They want to buy the car, trade-in the old one and drive it home that same afternoon.

If Ling brought her existing biz model to the USA, She'd have to use her super creative energy to look for sales opportunities for this marketplace.

What SHOULD your dealership website ultimately achieve??

I hear everyone agreeing that websites should "Make Money", but where is the money made in the dealership?
Are our websites built around our weakest area of gross or our strongest profit sectors?

Here's a chart from a dealership showing the change in service page views since January 1, 2012.
Are we also ensuring that our website catered to the 849 customers that visited the website strictly looking at service? When we get those service appointments, are we also sending a lead to the sales team letting them know this vehicle is coming in if the KM field < 100,000 or the year is less than TODAY - 2 years?

service_analytics_2014_10_13.png