• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Define the secret Acronyms

will all this stuff be added to the forums as a mouseover like SEO?

my definitions... let me know if I get it right.

ISM Internet Sales Manager - Sometimes this is the guy that actually handles all the sales for internet leads, other times its an actual manager that handles the sales team for internet leads
The ISM is typically the person who thinks up new ideas for internet marketing and website design and email campaigns if there is not another person in the dealership dedicated to those jobs already.

CRM Customer Relationship Manager - This is the tool that tracks customers and helps salesmen remember what they're dealing with so that each customer is not just another face. Good salesmen can do most of the things a CRM can do in their head, but every little bit helps. CRMs are also starting to branch out into service and parts to provide a seamless customer interaction with the dealership

OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer - this is the person or company that puts all the pieces together to make a sellable product. An OEM part is a part branded with your vehicles make.

SEO Search Engine Optimization - This is defined as optimizing your personal website to be as close to the top spot as possible on search engine results for any question asked. If you want your dealership at the top of the list when a customer types in "Chevrolet dealership in newark delaware" you would target that phrase in your SEO. SEO is free to implement unless you pay a company to keep it updated for you. As the searches change from month to month you would want your SEO to change with it. SEO can be concidered passive advertising like soap art on your dealerships windows.

SEM Search Engine Marketing - This can be considered your active advertising campaigns on the internet directed towards search engines. The yellow boxes at the top of a google search would be the result of $$ spent on SEM.

PPC = pay per click - this is very closely tied to SEM in that you pay for every customer clicking on an SEM link. The terms are mildly interchangeable right now because that is the most popular way to advertise on search engines. This type of cost structure can be applied to any internet campaigns though like banner ads etc.

Last edited:
will all this stuff be added to the forums as a mouseover like SEO?

Good idea, I'll get these added (sometime soon).

A few others when talking about Internet Marketing...

B2B - Business to Business
B2C - Business to Consumer

CPA - Cost Per Action
CPC - Cost Per Click
CPS - Cost Per Sale

CPM - Cost Per Thousand -- The amount charged per thousand impressions of an ad (display/banner ads) (M is the Roman numeral for 1000).
CR - Conversion Rate/ Ratio
ROS - Run Of Site - Where ads are rotated across the pages of a single site.
BT - Behavioral Targeting

CTR - Click-Through Rate

ROI - Return on investment

SERP - Search Engine Results Page

USP - Unique Selling Proposition

and some geeky ones just for fun:

PSU - Power Supply Unit - The device that pulls in 110/220 and outputs 12, 5, and 3.5V to various pieces inside the computer
CPU - central processing unit - the traffic cop, mathmatician, and translator rolled into one. Everything goes through here to get somewhere else on the computer
mobo - motherboard - the giant circuit board that everything plugs into. If this goes bad its usually too expensive to fix
RAM - random access memory - These are "sticks" that have copper connectors down one side and stick out from the motherboard. They are used as your current working space and are cleared when you turn off the computer. Also called "memory"
HD - hard drive - long term storage. programs are pulled out of storage on the HD and placed into RAM before you can start using them. this is what takes so long to launch programs because hard drives are "slow" compared to the rest of the computer
HSF, HS, HS/F - Heatsink and fan combination - heatsinks pull waste heat energy from chips like the CPU. Most will come with a fan already attached for extra cooling.

Funny story: Several years ago, when I first started in the Service Dept of a Mercedes store, I soon found that they have acronyms for EVERYTHING. ABS, SBS, ABC...etc. The night before, I would go through the pre-writes to make sure we had all of the parts we needed for the following day. I came across a ticket that said REMOVE SAP. Since SOP means Special Order Parts, I spent awhile trying to figure out what type of special order part an SAP was. I later learned they just wanted the tree sap removed.