• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Display Ad Retargeting - How Do You Get Engagement?

Mar 12, 2020
Awards
First Name
Bobby
Hello Everyone! While reviewing our dealerships retargeting efforts, I've been thinking about ways to create more engaging and higher converting display ads. I have already been paying attention to the ads that are served up to me (industry related and non-industry), however I thought this would be a great opportunity for me to see what strategies are working for everyone here in the DealerRefresh community.

What approach are you taking with your re-targeting campaigns? What approach have you taken with your creative content (banners, ect.) to increase engagement?
How are you routing your retargeting efforts to ensure the customer is being placed on a page that's relevant to them? What strategy are you using to turn your display ads into conversions?

Any feedback on what's working for you is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hello bobbyloch

For retargeting ads, we segment the users into small buckets so we can deliver banner ads that are as targeted as possible. There are minimum sizes for these buckets (Google is 100, Facebook is 1000). For example, if someone views a page about 2020 Honda Accord leases on your website, we would use that as a bucket, as long as we think it can reach the minimum size for the bucket.

When the text ad or banner is created, they can now be highly targeted. We would A/B test ads that (1) have the same offer as the page they were on vs (2) focus on giving the consumer additional reasons to buy. In the previous example, that would mean testing (1) the lease offer on the Accord vs (2) Other Why buys such as a money back guarantee or home delivery.

The landing page should display and expand on what the banner was showing. For vehicle ads, many companies fail to do this and will simply land them on the SRP with no mention of the offer.

Last edited:
I used to manage large display campaigns in the past, through various networks including Google. I had never thought I'd embrace Facebook as much as I do now.

The numbers you see in terms of conversion on retargeting are usually very low in the automotive industry. It changed for me when I took a different approach aimed at re-qualifying customers & conversion.

Over time, I came up with a recipe I'm using for my own business and started applying it to car dealerships. I call this the TRR method internally. It works every time but needs 50-90 days to really catch fire. I mean, it works great in B2B, can you imagine.

In a nutshell, you first need to generate Traffic, which you already have I'm sure.

Then you Recycle through shopper intent into separate buckets. I use audiences in this case for Facebook.

THEN you can Retarget properly with a timely and targeted message.

You can increase dramatically the conversion % in sales from remarketing efforts.

The reason why I'm pushing Facebook more for this specific type of campaign is that focusing on a few campaigns will really help you generate better numbers. The impression inventory is there.

I used to manage large display campaigns in the past, through various networks including Google. I had never thought I'd embrace Facebook as much as I do now.

The numbers you see in terms of conversion on retargeting are usually very low in the automotive industry. It changed for me when I took a different approach aimed at re-qualifying customers & conversion.

Over time, I came up with a recipe I'm using for my own business and started applying it to car dealerships. I call this the TRR method internally. It works every time but needs 50-90 days to really catch fire. I mean, it works great in B2B, can you imagine.

In a nutshell, you first need to generate Traffic, which you already have I'm sure.

Then you Recycle through shopper intent into separate buckets. I use audiences in this case for Facebook.

THEN you can Retarget properly with a timely and targeted message.

You can increase dramatically the conversion % in sales from remarketing efforts.

The reason why I'm pushing Facebook more for this specific type of campaign is that focusing on a few campaigns will really help you generate better numbers. The impression inventory is there.
That's because FB is lying to you.

In the 75-page study, Greenspan said fake accounts made up more than half of Facebook's 2.2 billion users. They'll do anything to make their numbers look good, which reminds me of automotive agencies lying to dealerships.

"Facebook has been lying to the public about the scale of its problem with fake accounts, which likely exceed 50% of its network," the report said. "Its official metrics — many of which it has stopped reporting quarterly — are self-contradictory and even farcical. The company has lost control of its own product."

Reactions: Marc Lavoie
That's because FB is lying to you.

In the 75-page study, Greenspan said fake accounts made up more than half of Facebook's 2.2 billion users. They'll do anything to make their numbers look good, which reminds me of automotive agencies lying to dealerships.

"Facebook has been lying to the public about the scale of its problem with fake accounts, which likely exceed 50% of its network," the report said. "Its official metrics — many of which it has stopped reporting quarterly — are self-contradictory and even farcical. The company has lost control of its own product."

My QuickBooks reporting is not lying to me though :)

Reactions: Alexander Lau