• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Do you give numbers though email?

Jlewis74

Boss
Mar 21, 2013
First Name
Jeremy
I am shopping for my wife a new SUV I sent a request through the dealers website got 2 canned auto responses about 5 sec after I hit submit then around 8:30 got a phone call from them and another email. I asked for the final price on a buyers order format so I can see all fees they charge. Of course every contact I have had with them they are asking "When can you come in" they do not want to provide me with this info until I come in to the store.

I finally sent them my last reply which was "If you are unwilling to provide me with the information I have requested I will shop at one of the many other dealers in the area" have not gotten a reply in over an hour guess that means I need to go shopping elsewhere.

How would you handle this? What is the big issue with sending a completed buyers order?

If a price isn't posted on the website, and the dealers isn't going to give you a price unless you come in, you should just disregard their existance. This is not common practice in today's market, and is most certainly a minority of dealers that still have this 20+ year old business model in place. On the other hand, if a reduced internet price IS posted and the dealer has priced the car in line with the market, asking a customer to come in before discussing a further discounted price is acceptable. The reasoning for this varies based on what you're shopping for. If you're shopping for a new car however (not a pre-owned car), and have requested a sale price on a vehicle that is in stock, you should be provided with the lowest price up front 100% of the time.

If a price isn't posted on the website, and the dealers isn't going to give you a price unless you come in, you should just disregard their existance. This is not common practice in today's market, and is most certainly a minority of dealers that still have this 20+ year old business model in place. On the other hand, if a reduced internet price IS posted and the dealer has priced the car in line with the market, asking a customer to come in before discussing a further discounted price is acceptable. The reasoning for this varies based on what you're shopping for. If you're shopping for a new car however (not a pre-owned car), and have requested a sale price on a vehicle that is in stock, you should be provided with the lowest price up front 100% of the time.

It was a new unit in stock. Had MSRP listed but no internet price. Sad thing its a large dealer group based in Charlotte. I heard their sales were down this might explain it!

I consider internet price to be pretty competitive. If they're not listing that on the site, they definitely won't do it through email. You said this was a high volume dealer?

Unfortunately many manufacturers won't allow listings that are anything but MSRP, which is certainly the case at our dealership. That being the said, I think everyone in this community would agree that if a customer asks for a price on a new car that's in stock you get them a price. Any direct question should always be answered just as directly. But like I've always said, I'm glad there are still people doing it the other way.... more deals for me!

Reactions: 1 person