• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Do You Leave the Dealership License Plate Frame On or Off?

Alexander Lau

Banned
Feb 11, 2015
First Name
Alex
I’m the type of person that once I buy a new/used car, the first thing I do when I get home is remove the dealer plate frame. I can’t stand the thought of advertising for them for free. Yet, when driving around town, I always notice people drive around with license plate frames or decals of car dealerships stuck to their cars. These aren’t new cars that just came off a lot, but these decals are baked onto the car’s paint, most likely leaving a silhouette if they were to remove it. Why would people leave it on? Are people just that plain lazy or do they feel some form of a connection to the dealer helping them advertise for free?

This is actually a great question @Alexander Lau.

Before you brought this up, I never really thought about it. But to answer your question, I personally take mine off and replace the frame with a custom one. I just don't like the look of the dealership frame. That's really the main reason. I think state license plates look best naked or with a custom frame that I get to choose.

Right now I have a Minnesota Twins license plate frame.

Reactions: Alexander Lau
I generally take them off, as well - stickers, if they are die cut, multi piece, usually at each gas fill up, I'll peel a little more off, until it's completely gone.

This is actually a great question @Alexander Lau.

Before you brought this up, I never really thought about it. But to answer your question, I personally take mine off and replace the frame with a custom one. I just don't like the look of the dealership frame. That's really the main reason. I think state license plates look best naked or with a custom frame that I get to choose.

Right now I have a Minnesota Twins license plate frame.

You sure the Twins is a better option than a dealership plate? At least it isn't an Astricks frame, I guess. :poke:

I generally take them off, as well - stickers, if they are die cut, multi piece, usually at each gas fill up, I'll peel a little more off, until it's completely gone.

You sure the Twins is a better option than a dealership plate? At least it isn't an Astricks frame, I guess. :poke:

Haha. For sure it's a better option. And exactly, at least it isn't an asterisks frame.

As a vendor that used to travel from store to store, I learned this one the hard way. ALWAYS take the branding off! NEVER show up at a lot to take a manager to lunch with his competition's bracket on your car unless you want to spend your lunch explaining why you bought from somebody else.

I’m the type of person that once I buy a new/used car, the first thing I do when I get home is remove the dealer plate frame. I can’t stand the thought of advertising for them for free. Yet, when driving around town, I always notice people drive around with license plate frames or decals of car dealerships stuck to their cars. These aren’t new cars that just came off a lot, but these decals are baked onto the car’s paint, most likely leaving a silhouette if they were to remove it. Why would people leave it on? Are people just that plain lazy or do they feel some form of a connection to the dealer helping them advertise for free?
Hopefully you take all the vehicle logos and decals off too. Don't forget about that free advertising you are participating in..

I do understand from a vendor point of view.

Last edited:
Some dealers go a bit too far with it. There is one in Vermont who used to put 2 license plate frames, mud flaps, a sticker on the trunk, and then a giant vinyl on the top of the rear window all advertising the dealer’s name... which wasn’t a fun name to begin with. It looked like every car was a service loaner. Fortunately they have toned it down since.

Personally, I leave it on because I work for the dealership I got the car, so I am ok with the advertising. We have license plates on the front and frames on the back and we have cutout decals of our web address on the back window. I see many of our cars out and about in the world so my guess is just laziness or people forget it is there. I know when I have gotten a vehicle and disliked the dealership after, I took the frames and such off. I wasn't helping them out.

@Alex Snyder and @Jeff Kershner where are our complimentary DealerRefresh plate frames? Spend some money on those keeping eyeballs on your site. Free advertising!

40k07n.jpg

Reactions: ChrisR