• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Does Text Messaging work for Dealers?

Obviously this is a legal minefield, but EVERY SINGLE age demographic is using (if not embracing) text messages as their primary communication tool. As a consumer, I HATE the idea of a business bugging me on my phone, but as a business, it is undoubtedly one of the key ways to communicate with customers - especially the Generation 2k crowd. I think it may be as important, if not more so for a business to look for text solutions than it is to embrace mobile platforms.

Will was in our store a few weeks ago and reminded me of this thread.

As soon as I read this I sent it over to our customer care center leader Seth and asked him how test messages were going. He said so-so. So, I said read this thread and lets start texting everyone and see what happens. In 2 days he had text 60+ leads, got lots of opt-ins, created some conversations, made some appointments and sold a car.

We are incorporating text into our lead process with every lead. We use Dealer Socket and have the text feature so we are compliant, it has worked great and we will keep it up.

Reactions: 1 person
Some good info here on this thread, and as someone who buys cars I would rather deal through text or handle the BS data stuff through text of course numbers should still be done over the phone or face to face but other things can be done through text with no issues.

The key for Dealers to remember to be aware of what the FCC says you can and cannot do.
Many dealers either use text like papa johns and other non-auto business where they try to text market their way into the customer buying.
The challenge is that the mobile consumer (most folks now days) has a shorter buying cycle so after a few days they've likely bough and they don't want to kkeep getting messages.

Also, its best not to have your salespeople texting them from their phone because legally, the FCC says they need a way to opt out if they have opted in to your communication, just like an email unsubscribe.

With our dealers we only use sms for one purpose: lead generation.

Overlay on all ads with call to action. Consumer is NOT added to a marketing list so no risk of future legal issues.
Consumer texts code they see on Ad, they receive a trackable, redeemable, digital coupon with the dealer's offer and a message that says "we will be calling to make sure that you received your special offer".
Dealer receives an email, and a text to let them know the consumers phone number so they can call.

I'm happy answer questions and share best practices.

Helping the best get better,
Mat Koenig
CEO
KonigCo
The Best Mobile Marketing for Automotive Dealers 2013 is KonigCo

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

No offense to anyone on this thread, but consider this. Driving drunk is against the law. Can you imagine not driving because there are people going to jail for DUI? It is a very simple thing. Doing it correctly AND legally is the answer.

Just because there are people who do it wrong or illegally is NOT a justification for avoidance. That said, it is risky indeed. The risk is precisely why you should hire a trained professional to set your SMS marketing up. More importantly, and something I wish everyone would ignore, is your own opinion regarding whether you do or do not want to be bugged on your mobile phone by businesses. This is the same logic as someone saying I am not advertising on a radio station I dont listen to. Really? Are you selling ONLY to yourself or are you selling to the people that ACTUALLY do listen to the station. SMS marketing is no different. That YOU dont like it is NOT relevant. What needs to be determined is whether you audience likes it...and how they like it. Then give it to them. Legal SMS marketing, actually effective SMS marketing, is when people CHOOSE to get your alerts for whatever reason. It is absolutely not about you. It is about your customer. They make the choice to receive alerts...and you make every effort to deliver the alerts they want!!!

This is a no brainer for businesses of all shapes and sizes. Mobile alerts are a strategic asset NOT a legal liability. Those that came before you who have been sued thought, incorrectly and stupidly, that they didnt need an expert to walk them through it. How many people have cost themselves millions because they thought they knew it all. Well, we have doctors, lawyers, fireman, police officers and car dealers because we cannot possibly all know it all. A qualified consultant is going to do two things for you:

1. Make sure your target audience wants alerts and the type they want.
2. Make sure that you do not do anything that will jeopardize you or your customer.

Additionally, to use SMS marketing ONLY for a one time lead...and NOT a regular channel to tell your fans about the happenings of your store, is a tragic mistake. If you design your alerts to give them what they want, they will love you for it. You can do so much more than the upfront lead and coupon. You can tell them about special service offerings, car deals etc etc. More importantly, because your message is sure to be delivered, unlike email, AND because it will be delivered to someone who actually wants to do business with you, you are sure to win the business.

Just sayin.

Legally you cannot mass text unless people have been provided the opportunity to Opt In/Out.

We do use texting in our BDC. On day 1 we do send a text message and then if they dont text back we do not text again.

As for success, it seems to vary by store. About half of our 15 stores seem to have success with setting appts via text.

Legally you cannot mass text unless people have been provided the opportunity to Opt In/Out.

We do use texting in our BDC. On day 1 we do send a text message and then if they dont text back we do not text again.

As for success, it seems to vary by store. About half of our 15 stores seem to have success with setting appts via text.

Legally you have to do more than provide a means of Opt In and Opt Out. Depending on the campaign AND how the campaign is being promoted (where you put the Opt In), you have very specific language that MUST be present for each and every campaign. THEN you need to double confirm that they want to get alerts from you.

Doing it correctly and legally isn't so much a complexity as it is knowing where to find the proper guidance. If set up right, there isn't a more real time way to reach people, the people most interested in your work, than sending a text message.

This simple fact cannot be ignored...our audience is mobile. Even when they are sitting in front of their PC's, they are mobile. What type of revenue opportunities are you MISSING by not doing everything in your power and control to meet them there?