1. Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Your CRM Have the Right to Hijack Your Data?

Discussion in 'CRM, ILM, Chat, Desking, Emails, Phone, SMS' started by derrickwoolfson, Feb 2, 2018.

This forum sponsored by...
?

Does Your CRM Have the Right to Hijack Your Data Controlling Who You Email?

1. Yes

14.3%
  2. No

85.7%
  1. FrikinBandit

FrikinBandit
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

But, to devil's advocate myself a little, think about how the CRM does have an obligation to keep you legal and they purposely (if they're worth a darn) don't print out the sensitive client information, not even SSN's on credit aps. Further, wasn't there just a lawsuit because "Lithia" was "Lithia" and wanted something in their CRM custom overridden so they could mass text and break the law and clearly, they didn't know better. They were sued. And they lost. I can't recall the Automotive News it was in but they had coverage. And the CRM, again, if they're worth a darn, want to keep themselves white listed and by adhering to the spam rules helps with that. Most dealership work flows are nonsensical and thus create an abnormally high number of spam emails. That not only hurts the dealer but also makes it more difficult for the CRM. I'm fascinated by this, really great question you've posed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. This forum sponsored by...
  3. derrickwoolfson

derrickwoolfson
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Derrick
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Younger Nissan
    Awesome username for the record. This a multifaceted argument. I offer that because there are those dealers (such as ourselves) who know how to manage and send email blasts working with scrubbed *valid* data. As far as the relationships go, if the customer did not purchase or service with you, but inquired (regardless of the time frame in which they inquired) and have a valid email you should be able to send a campaign within the CRM. Albeit, the results will be *extremely* minimal and you are going to see much better results doing a social campaign. But the point is the CRM should not dictate what you can or cannot do with a valid email regardless of what they offer the relationship is or should be.

Now, as far as the law goes if the customer opted out on then it is, in fact, illegal to continue to send them emails. And for those dealers who use a 3rd party provider that is not connected to their CRM (as it extracts info from those VINS that have had transactions within the DMS) than it is the dealers responsibility to scrub the email lists to ensure that they are compliant.

The bottom line is that I can account several retailers that continue to send emails 2-3 (sometimes 4x+) a month despite the fact that I have not opened or purchased anything from them in the last 2-3 years. The fact is that I have a valid email, and have not opted out. And the whole point is not about the success rate of the marketing campaign, but rather the notion that the CRM should not dictate what constitutes a relationship with a valid email.

• Like Like x 2
  4. derrickwoolfson

derrickwoolfson
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Derrick
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Younger Nissan
    I will not disclose the CRM as I respect anonymity as this conversation encapsulates the current tone in our industry which I offer is just masking a larger issue, which is the fact that dealers are generally piss poor in understanding data management, marketing, and how to leverage their vendors.

5. Alex Snyder

Alex Snyder
    Expand Collapse
    President Skroob

First Name:
    Alex
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    axsnyder
    Very professional of you Derrick. I ain't that professional :rofl:

The CRM in question is eLead.

And even though I'm not as professional as Derrick, I will say that @Jeff Kershner@Jeff Kershner is working with them to come on the next Friday Refresh. Fingers crossed we get to dive into this subject from both perspectives!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. john.quinn

john.quinn
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    John
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh
    Twitter Handle:
    JohnGQuinn
    This must be Understatement Monday :poke:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. FrikinBandit

FrikinBandit
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

Thanks!

So it's not based on anything legal, makes sense. Here's my question to you then, while I agree with you, you're the "10%" and thus you pay the price for the fact that the systems are built for the 80% in the middle. The question, would you rather be able to email 100% of your valid email addresses with 50% less effectiveness or 90% of your most valid and most likely to buy email addresses?

• Like Like x 1
  8. FrikinBandit

FrikinBandit
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

eLead... Interesting

• Like Like x 1
  9. FrikinBandit

FrikinBandit
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

Well said about dealers not getting it. With that said, you can't forget that most systems, like most cars, most phones and most everything, are made for the 80% in the middle, not power users and not the 10% at the bottom that can't spell CRM.

• Like Like x 2
  10. FrikinBandit

FrikinBandit
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

It looks like they're just arbitrarily saying "here is the line in the sand" and that's it. It's their logic which I'm not mad at given the fact most dealers have no clue how to manage themselves. I imagine it's to keep the mail servers white listed. It's kind of like a Doc Fee really, all the CRM's are getting together saying we're going to show you a better way and dealers get together and say "we're charging a doc fee" so everyone is even hahaha

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jeff Kershner

Jeff Kershner
    Expand Collapse
    Founder

First Name:
    Jeff
    Dealer or Company Name:
    DealerRefresh & Mercedes-Benz of Hagerstown
    I tried to get Bill Wittenmyer from Elead to jump on Refresh Friday with us but they are to no current availability. Too bad.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    • Funny Funny x 1