• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Dominion Adaptive Websites

Chris -

Sounds like simple misunderstanding between what you're thinking and what the technical terms are referring to. Adaptive/Responsive design solutions have been among the hottest element of website design for a while now - with regards to the site knowing the device the user is viewing a site from.

This is a huge development - nobody in their right mind likes to pinch/expand a regular website in their phone's browser - in a mobile device there only needs to be a couple of main call to actions to provide you what customers are really looking for anyway: pictures of cars & contact info.

I can see where seeing the word 'behavior' may lead you to think that. Adapting to a user's device is probably more accurate. (Hint hint, Glenn) It's awesome to see solutions like this coming out - it'll become a much bigger topic over the next several months as vendors are paying more attention to the devices being used and the activity happening within each.

Another key item to watch out for is the responsive solution that not only identifies mobile & tablet browsers, but also smart TV's - adapting to the larger real estate will provide tremendous opportunities for creative designers to leverage the extra real estate available to make shopping from your couch even more enjoyable.

I'm even more excited to see the first vendor break out with a Kinect style motion control solution. (Or even better, using Apple's new motion control device)

I was intrigued to see the technology behind this, but I'm left here writing a post about how unimpressed I am at this advertisement. You tout adaptive user behavior, yet all you're doing is designing sites for multiple devices. How does this adapt to user behavior? Someone rotates their screen?

I hate to be a negative Nancy about some of this stuff, but please don't advertise features you don't have (or at least I don't see it on the site/video). Adaptive design should never be considered a "feature". Here's the ad:

View attachment 1058

And the site: Automotive Marketing, CRM & Inventory Solutions - Dominion Dealer - Welcome to Our DealerRefresh Guests

When I think of adaptive user behavior, I think of defined set of actions or "triggers" dependent on a set of events in the person's session:

• Person visits vehicle details page for 3rd consecutive time => Launch finance special advertisement
  • Person fills out service application form => Show offer to share deal with friends and get a free oil change
  • Person alters search to monthly payment => Show lease offers

Is there anybody doing this currently? I see no mention of this on their website from what's advertised.

Sounds like simple misunderstanding between what you're thinking and what the technical terms are referring to.

I know what the technical terms are, behavior is behavior and design is design ;) Dominion used separate terminology on their website from what was displayed in their ad, so I think it was just the ad.

Anyways, on a separate note - mobile is changing every 6 months and it's a moving target. It's not a mature market, people use mobile devices differently on the web than they do their computers and everyone is still trying to figure things out and settle on some standards, so there's no holy grail on the right way to do things yet. There's plenty of innovation to bring to these sales sites yet, so I was intrigued to see the behavior functionality but hopefully someone can pull it off soon.

I think it is great to see Dominion going this direction. Especially with Google coming out and saying that Responsive is the preferred method for mobile SEO... but your not the first :)

A major benefit of using this type of technology for the automotive industry is that you won't have to manage content on multiple sites.

Anyways, on a separate note - mobile is changing every 6 months and it's a moving target. It's not a mature market, people use mobile devices differently on the web than they do their computers and everyone is still trying to figure things out and settle on some standards, so there's no holy grail on the right way to do things yet. There's plenty of innovation to bring to these sales sites yet, so I was intrigued to see the behavior functionality but hopefully someone can pull it off soon.

We just need to be aware that there is A LOT more testing involved to make sure that we are displaying the proper content to the respective users base on their intent and desire. This includes A/B testing and additional cross-browser and cross-platform testing.

I know what the technical terms are, behavior is behavior and design is design ;) Dominion used separate terminology on their website from what was displayed in their ad, so I think it was just the ad.

People are getting away from PCs and Laptops. Mobile is in constant change but sooner than you think, it will be smart phones and tablets. I wouldn't be buying stock in Apple or Microsoft.

People are getting away from PCs and Laptops. Mobile is in constant change but sooner than you think, it will be smart phones and tablets. I wouldn't be buying stock in Apple or Microsoft.
Today ComScore said mobile users would surpass desktop users in 2014 - But don't forget Apple does pretty well with both iPhones and iPads, so keep that Apple stock.

Today ComScore said mobile users would surpass desktop users in 2014 - But don't forget Apple does pretty well with both iPhones and iPads, so keep that Apple stock.

Ed, Steve Jobs is dead. You can't have a cult without the leader.

I can't tell you how many iPhone people said they would switch after seeing my droid. If you have a wife, you might not want the text to voice feature.

I like the fact that Androids and most tablets will be running a Linux based operating system that is open source. Along with google (who acquired it), you have thousands of developers writing programs without needing the approval of Microsoft or Apple.

Ed, Steve Jobs is dead. You can't have a cult without the leader.

I can't tell you how many iPhone people said they would switch after seeing my droid. If you have a wife, you might not want the text to voice feature.

I like the fact that Androids and most tablets will be running a Linux based operating system that is open source. Along with google (who acquired it), you have thousands of developers writing programs without needing the approval of Microsoft or Apple.
Oh man, there is a whole new thread here. I'm no Apple Fanboy (like Alex), I run a windows laptop, an Android phone, and an Apple iPad. I have to admit, the iPad is by far the most elegant, intuitive, and stable hardware / OS / software combination of the three.

Reactions: 1 person
Oh man, there is a whole new thread here. I'm no Apple Fanboy (like Alex), I run a windows laptop, an Android phone, and an Apple iPad. I have to admit, the iPad is by far the most elegant, intuitive, and stable hardware / OS / software combination of the three.

There's a reason Apple is the most valuable company in the world. Great marketing can take you only so far ;)

Does anyone care to share the number of mobile vs. desktop visits to their site?