• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Dresscode? Ties and Suits

Salesman84

Full Sticker
Jun 26, 2012
First Name
Paul
Hi,

Just looking for some opinions from those experienced and that may have seen both sides.

I work in a luxury German brand, and my previous store 100% required ties, and recommended suits except on possibly the hottest days. I used to HATE the suits and dislike the ties. I felt like I was dressing up to match the stereotype of a car salesman, thus when customers walked in and saw me, and talked to me, they were reminded I'm just another car salesman thats a pro at tricking them out of their money.

Now I've moved to a store that almost nobody wears a tie. I start Monday. And I can't believe it but somehow I think I'm going to put the tie back on. It just seems..... right. How do I ask someone to part with $40-100k with my collar unbuttoned?

And in the winter, I THINK, I may just put the suit back on.

What are your opinions on customer reactions, comfort level, and overall opinion on ties and suits on salespeople?

PS. I do know that wearing the suit in the past, my previous customers now in service would see me and ask if I went into management, or overall mention how good I looked. So they do see the suit and think something.. I just wonder how a fresh up sees it.

Last edited:
People like to do business with successful people. I would look at how the customers dress.

One of my friends, in Dallas, told me that he has finally started wearing golf shirts. Kenny has been salesman of the year every year that he has been there. He talked about how much more comfortable he is. You can bet that he is still wearing nice slacks, dress shoes and belt. He has a huge advantage. Most of his business is from repeat and referrals. His customers are not seeing him for the first time.

Sounds to me like you're in the position to wear what ever makes you feel most comfortable. When your feeling good about yourself, this usually shows through your attitude.

I believe a nice suite shows that you're organized and puy together (I know this isn't always the case). I'm sure it's proven that people view and initially have a different level of respect for people that are dressed well. You could use the suite in your situation to "play manager" when needed.

If you're selling 50K plus cars you should look like you can afford one yourself. I really dislike seeing salespeople dressed any old way. People push the boundaries when no expectations are set. If looking to recruit good talent, candidates are evaluating you. If your people are dressed like bums you'll end up hiring bums. I highly advocate a strict dress code!

1. Store branded shorts at worst with nice slacks and polished dress shoes.
2. Suit and tie.

Bums? I actually laughed. I visualized someone pushing a shopping cart around the showroom. I guess you need good phone skills if your going to look like that.

I can't think of a top performing salesperson that didn't take pride in their appearance.

I agree that suits and ties look more professional. But what exactly is the public's opinion and understanding of our profession that I am dressing to match? Are we served well by dressing up to the part and their expectations? The question is, when it comes to telling a customer 'Sir, yes this really is the best price' and 'Yes, the offer for you trade, that happens to be $6k under kbb fair, is the actual market trade in value', I wonder what the customer thinks when the salesman is wearing a suit vs shirt and tie vs dress shirt but no tie.

I'd suggest that the answer lies not in WHAT you wear, but rather, HOW you wear it. The 'what' will be dictated by make, store image, geographic location,etc. The 'how' remains the same.

Take a look at these two gentlemen, both at the pinnacle of success in dealership management:

benstock2.jpgRichard-Bustillo.jpg

They each manage very successful Honda dealerships. Brian Benstock on the left is Vice President and General Manager of Paragon Honda and Acura in New York City, Richard Bustillo on the right is the General Manager at Rick Case Honda in Ft. Lauderdale.

Brian favors suits. I've seen him with an open collar, but never without a suit. Richard wears a Rick Case logo'd shirt and dress slacks. Brian's dress is perfect for New York City and Richard's is just right for South Florida. Rather than focus on how these two 'uniforms' are different, look at how each man wears his.

Both men look like the consummate professionals they are. They are both pressed and polished, groomed and manicured. And neither of them look like the stereotypical 'used car guy'. The fit their market. They fit their store. And they engender confidence.

As opposed to...

used-car-salesman.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
Mr. Bustillo's dress is definitely the norm in South Florida for management at Franchise stores. Suits are more prevalent in the higher line stores for management though. The average high this time of year is about 89 with humidity through the roof so I think at most you may see sales personnel in open collared dress shirts and slacks. The only suit wearing sales folks will be at the exotic stores like Bentley and such. My personal favorite is the nice golf shirt with slacks. I only wear long sleeves during the one or two weeks of cool summer. I think some of you may call that winter, not sure what that is!

Ed Brooks hit this one right on the nose! The answer is not simply a suit is better or a golf shirt is better...

Presentation is EVERYTHING! Nothing is sleazier than seeing a man in a poorly fitting suit! If you are going to wear a suit and tie you need to have it tailored to you. If you are going to wear a golf shirt or non suit/tie, you need to wear nice slacks and well polished shoes. It also helps to press your shirts (even golf shirts).

Jerry is also right, dress like you can afford the car you are selling. Highline stores require dressing much nicer.