• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Facebook Inventory Advertising / Retargeting

carpages

Push Start
Oct 31, 2011
First Name
Ben
Is anyone here doing Facebook Inventory Retargeting? What has your ROI been?

For those who don't know what I'm referring to, Facebook's ad platform has a campaign type called Dynamic Product Ads, which for a dealer allows you to run display ads on Facebook featuring your vehicle inventory and targeting users of your dealer's website.

In practice, here's an example of how it works:
  1. Joe visits your dealer's website and views a 2014 Honda Civic.
  2. Tomorrow, Joe goes on Facebook to see what his friends are doing. While browsing his Facebook updates, Joe sees a 2014 Honda Civic from your dealership that happens to be exactly what he was looking to buy.
  3. Joe clicks on the ad (which appears on Facebook as content, just like any other content posted) and lands on the VDP for that vehicle on your website.
We've started running these campaigns for our own website customers, so I have a bit of experience setting this up and optimizing the campaign. If you'd like to try it for your own website, I'd be happy to help you get things set up. It's not for the faint of heart!

Here's how a Dynamic Product Ad looks on your Facebook timeline (this ad is one of the campaigns we're running):
ak-fb-dpa.jpg

Can you share results with us?
I feel like every dollar I spent with Facebook to date was a wasted dollar.

Wow, really? We've had great success with Facebook, in fact, a lot of our previous AdWords spending has been shifted to Facebook Ads.

With inventory retargeting ads, we're seeing good results too: average CPC of 23 cents with a 1.43% CTR. The added benefit of inventory ads is that your inventory and business gets lots of extra visibility even for people who don't click on your ads.

We do well with Facebook and are just starting to look at the Dynamic Ads. It really does look like it'll be a nightmare to set up but I'm fairly sure it will be worthwhile as we will be able to target servicing as well as our new and used cars.

When selecting create an ad, where do you go from there to set up the dynamic ads?

For those who don't know what I'm referring to, Facebook's ad platform has a campaign type called Dynamic Product Ads, which for a dealer allows you to run display ads on Facebook featuring your vehicle inventory and targeting users of your dealer's website.

In practice, here's an example of how it works:
  1. Joe visits your dealer's website and views a 2014 Honda Civic.
  2. Tomorrow, Joe goes on Facebook to see what his friends are doing. While browsing his Facebook updates, Joe sees a 2014 Honda Civic from your dealership that happens to be exactly what he was looking to buy.
  3. Joe clicks on the ad (which appears on Facebook as content, just like any other content posted) and lands on the VDP for that vehicle on your website.
We've started running these campaigns for our own website customers, so I have a bit of experience setting this up and optimizing the campaign. If you'd like to try it for your own website, I'd be happy to help you get things set up. It's not for the faint of heart!

Here's how a Dynamic Product Ad looks on your Facebook timeline (this ad is one of the campaigns we're running):
View attachment 2500[/QUOTE]

When selecting create an ad, where do you go from there to set up the dynamic ads?

So there are 4 basic steps in getting this set up:
  1. Create/upload your product catalog. This is your vehicle inventory which must be formatted as a Facebook-compatible product feed (as your web guy) and scheduled as a nightly upload to Facebook.
  2. Set up your tracking pixel. Important: Make sure you're using Facebook's newest pixel which allows you to handle remarketing and conversion tracking with a single pixel.
  3. Create your dynamic product template. This controls how your vehicle ads will appear.
  4. Run your campaign.
You can read more about each of these steps here: https://www.facebook.com/business/a/online-sales/dynamic-product-ads

• Useful
Reactions: craigh
Does anyone have advice on how to get a feed constructed? it looks like a true pain in the behind to get an automatic feed set up.

Definitely your website provider tends to be the easiest option.
Some DMS or CRM companies might be able to help, but since you want vehicle photos, etc I would recommend starting with website provider.