• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Facebook pages not welcome?

@Jerry: What I'm trying to avoid is completely blending my personal life with my work life. I'm the type that eats and sleeps my career, but I do require some level of privacy. So the idea of having an opt in Fan page while allowing me to have some privacy with my own personal page attracts that part of me. Plus, having the dealership name help brand name any time I update a status or post a customer testimonial is something I feel that can be very helpful.

Facebook does allow you to filter friends into separate categories. I've heard of a lot of people going that route so they don't mix personal with work. As Jerry had mentioned, i think you'll get more activity this way.

Ofcourse setting up a personalized page is never a bad idea too :)

Here's an example of one of our Salespeople's dealerrater pages
it's a good way to brand both yourself and the dealership. Use your Facebook page to be you, grow your network and let them know you sell cars often enough so they don't forget but not so much you become annoying. Every now and then share your DealerRater page with your network so they can see people like to buy from you and when they are ready they will come to you.

Or you can do as Uncle Joe recommends and move up to New England, give up the Hondas and come work at a store where we love our salespeople's networks and you get to sell Toyotas.:D

Craig, been doing the same here as well. Many of the sales and service people LOVE it. Promoting these DealerRater bio pages on the "meet the staff" page on the dealer website is next. After that - I have a few other small ideas to bring it even more to a forefront while getting more sales and service people bought into the process.

Jerry, I'm with you. Keep the dealers name out of it and set up a separate account using a different email unless you are wiling to commingle your personal and professional life. You never know what changes could come about from the dealer down the road. Gotta love social.

Craig, been doing the same here as well. Many of the sales and service people LOVE it. Promoting these DealerRater bio pages on the "meet the staff" page on the dealer website is next. After that - I have a few other small ideas to bring it even more to a forefront while getting more sales and service people bought into the process.

Jerry, I'm with you. Keep the dealers name out of it and set up a separate account using a different email unless you are wiling to commingle your personal and professional life. You never know what changes could come about from the dealer down the road. Gotta love social.

We added links to review pages on our "meet the staff" for those that have them a couple months ago. Difference maker for sure, anytime people can read something good about you you're customers write it gets you 1 step closer to a car deal. We have service as 1 page, mostly because the service director doesn't participate in our internet presence like I do.........someday GM's, GSM's and Service and Parts Directors will understand you need to be the leader in your eCommerce efforts, not necessarily the person doing the marketing but you need to be leading all aspects of your department if you are truly a leader.

Case in Point --- We had a salesperson get fired and it became discussion on FB. It didn't look good to our customers who were fans of the dealers page. BAD idea.

Can you share even if not in large detail what happened? I have been trying to make sure we have some good rules in place here in the near future and it sounds like we could all learn from your experience.

You can also post something on your personal page saying. I am selling a pre-owned Honda Accord today. I am selling a Honda Odyssey today. This way your friends would be reminded that you sell cars.

I would even suggest creating a signature in your personal email .

All emails I send have : Dan O'Neil
Internet Sales Manager
Heritage Honda and a phone #..

A constant reminder to all my contacts.