• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Firstlook vs vAuto

Eley Duke

Boss
Nov 30, 2009
Awards
First Name
Eley
We are looking at Quickturn, the GM Smart Auction version of Firstlook, and we want to explore vAuto. What can everyone tell me about their experience with each, and has anyone used both?

Which do you use and what would you recomend?

Thanks,

Last edited:
We've been on vAuto since 07.....no contracts only results, support, training, up to date info on anything related to the used vehicle process from pre-aquisition through the digital merchandising cycle ( as short as you want it ) etc.....
vAuto has been one of the best technology partners I've seen in all aspects of how they operate. Plus you get Dale.......guys a used car wizard. :kbutt:

We've been on vAuto since 07.....no contracts only results, support, training, up to date info on anything related to the used vehicle process from pre-aquisition through the digital merchandising cycle ( as short as you want it ) etc.....
vAuto has been one of the best technology partners I've seen in all aspects of how they operate. Plus you get Dale.......guys a used car wizard. :kbutt:

[DITTO]

IMO Firstlook seems to have taken a back seat. I have not heard nor seen much out of them over the last several months but then again it might just be where I consume my media and content.

We all hear great things about vAuto. I too have worked with vAuto in the past and find it to be a valuable tool. My only fear is that dealers forget these are tools to HELP you make better decisions and need to be approached and used as so.

I have not used vAuto for awhile now so I'm not aware of any possible changes but I would be sure that what ever program you go with also factors in your dealers core inventory and history into the mix. Knowing what the local market is doing is vitally important but knowing how your dealer has performed with previous makes and models should be a key factor into the equation.

I also fear that we are destroying our own market buy chasing the low price tail in order to convert customers into opportunities. If these tools are used in the wrong way and your local region/aoi becomes saturated with dealers using these pricing tools in the wrong manor - well it's easy to see what can and has happened.

We've been with vAuto since December. We started at a turn of 6 times a year with average days in inventory at 67. We are now hovering around 11 turns a year. I don't know of the other one as our 20 group only has used vAuto and that is the reason we went with them.

There are other dealers in the area that have it, but they don't use it effectively. Like Jeff said, you can't forget these tools. You have to be dedicated to it for it to work. The one who masters the program in your area will be the winner.

I am of the opinion that Firstlook is a better, more intuitive product - but because of its cumbersome layout and unclear headings and report names - it is easy to get lost and overwhelmed to the point of not using the tool completely (like we don't use all of our brains...).

Then when V-Auto shows up to do a presentation - normally about 3 months after you have thrown your hands in the air with FL (They must have an inside guy... their timing is always phenomenal). You see a smart layout, bright colors and cute pieces of cheese and you think.. "There we go.. cheese is easy... I like cheese.." LOL!

OK - all kidding aside, for BMW (which is the dealer that we participated in Firstlook beta tests with) Firstlook was able to synch with DCSnet to download OEM Packages (not just codes, but the English translation). This was a MAJOR plus when using Max Merchandising (The Firstlook version of cheese) as it really described the cars features a la carte while mingling in Third Party review snippits and exact monetary calculations below whatever bar you like (KBB or NADA, etc).

A lot of time, when I am reading the V-Auto generated "cheese" I feel like I am being heckled from the web page I am viewing it on. "CLICK ME!!!!" "DONT PASS ON THIS!!" I am verbose and very animated and even I don't speak with that many exclamation marks, yikes.

Also, their new product - MAX AD - is a great tool for internet sales and floor sales. I have emailed a few of these to clients (PDF) and it is like sending a campaign poster on your car to a prospect - it is all pre-loaded with GREAT and true details of that car.

Now - all Firstlook needs to do is to get all of their tools into one place and make the website flow.. Oh... and get an appraisal APP of their own (working on this now, from what I have been told) so we don't have to sign up with another contractor for this functionality.

In short - - I hope Firstlook can overcome these small design and functionality hurdles so people can see what a great tool they really have underneath all of that other stuff that that makes our brains go to mush.

...OK - all kidding aside, for BMW (which is the dealer that we participated in Firstlook beta tests with) Firstlook was able to synch with DCSnet to download OEM Packages (not just codes, but the English translation). This was a MAJOR plus when using Max Merchandising (The Firstlook version of cheese) as it really described the cars features a la carte while mingling in Third Party review snippits and exact monetary calculations below whatever bar you like (KBB or NADA, etc).

ktall,

I am not familliar with "DCSnet to Download OEM Pkgs". What does this process do? Does it only work for BMW. It's it an BMW exclusive product?

Specifically, does it use the VIN and OEM historical data to produce an exact options list?

Ktallman, thank for joining the community and providing some great feedback on Firstlook.

Joe, DCSnet is BMW'S Internal communications and inventory system providing VIN specific options and vehicle history. I've toyed around with it in the past.

At one point Mercedes and Homenet was playing nice in this same fashion. Homenet would receive VIN specific options on any new and used MB and bring it over into the "other" tab. Not exactly what I was after but it sure helped speed up the merchandising of your Mercedes within Homenet. They quit playing nice, halted in moving forward with the project and eventually shut the feeds down. Boooo

Sorry to go off topic here, it pisses me off that we can't work towards a standard for getting this information from the OEM's into our merchandising tools, whether it be Firstlook, vAuto or even Homenet.

Ktallamn, funny you mention the MAX AD in PDF. I would love to see an example of this. I don't have MAX AD but I have used and trained/suggested to others to use a different, more widely available merchandising piece that too is formatted into a PDF. It gets great response from the client when used.

...Sorry to go off topic here, it pisses me off that we can't work towards a standard for getting this information from the OEM's into our merchandising tools...

We are 2 steps away from imploding profits the used car market.

Step #1). A service to supply uniform option/Trim info, driven from the VIN.
Step #2). A 3rd party that creates a factual used vehicle condition scoring system.

Last edited:
What if Chrome or HomeNet decides to build a system to totally decode the VIN... all the way down to the number of cup holders.

What if Kelly Blue Book (or CarFax or AutoCheck...) builds a NEW product that creates a uniform condition reporting process that allows dealers to document & communicate to shoppers whats worn, whats dinged, whats ripped, burnt or scratched BEFORE they call.

Gulp... What an incentive to lie! What's to keep a dealer from fluffing the condition rating scores? A consumer rating system that rewards transparency.

Consumer/Shopper feedback Ranking 1 to 5 stars with comments
* Liars!
** They didn't mention it can't pass inspection
*** Missed several scratches and miles were off by 500
**** accurate report, estimate to repair was low
***** Everything listed, repairs offered at 1/2 price!
Lastly, what if the KBB condition report included a final score to its condition report and that condition score can now become another search criteria...

With the elements above, this next step is child's play...

BringThemToTheirKnees.com
Find Cheap Cars, Trucks, MiniVans and SUVs. Compare Hundreds of Car Shopping sites, all at once! Use our DealFinder search tool, Just fill out the form below:

Desired Make: Chevrolet
Desired Model: Avalanche
Desired Year(s): 2008 to 2010
Desired Trim 1: LT2
Desired Trim 2: LTZ
Must Have Option 1: moonroof
Must Have Option 2: 4x4
Must Have Option 3: back up camera
Must Have Options (above) can be found on Trims: LT1, LT2, LTZ Do you want to include LT1 in your searches? __Y/N?__
Must Have Colors: -open to choices-
Must NOT have color(s): Victory Red
Desired Mileage: _5,000_ to __25,000__
Median Mileage you've picked is: 15,000
Average Mileage for 2008's are: 26,421 miles
Average Mileage for 2009's are: 16,758 miles
Average Mileage for 2010's are: 9,300 miles
Your desired Kelly Blue Book Condition Score: _92+_
Your desired Kelly Blue Book Condition Dealer/FeedBack Rating: 4stars or higher only
Smoker? _no_
Rental? _no_
Number of owners? 1-2
CarFax/AutoCheck: _must be participating dealer_
Shopping radius: 150 miles
<submit>

Addl Shopper Tools
___ email me when new arrival hits

___ email me when 2008 $ falls below: $_______
___ email me when 2009 $ falls below: $_______
___ email me when 2010 $ falls below: $_______

Decision Making Tools