• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Frustrated eCommerce Director.. Just letting some pent up frustration out!!

You never know what's going on in the mind of a dealer or what issues they struggle with. I'd highly suggest you read the book "48 Laws of Power" and start implementing what you learn. Here is the short version: Short Version But buying and reading the whole book would be encouraged: The book

May the force be with you Paul Wilkerson!

Much appreciated! I actually have this book at home, burried somewhere! Thank you for reminding me... Just needed to let off some steam :).

You never know what's going on in the mind of a dealer or what issues they struggle with. I'd highly suggest you read the book "48 Laws of Power" and start implementing what you learn. Here is the short version: Short Version But buying and reading the whole book would be encouraged: The book

May the force be with you Paul Wilkerson!

Great advise on the book Jerry. Great book.

Paul, keep your head up my friend. There's always the option of undoing what you have done and moving on.

The wonderful mindset of the "traditional dealership". I personally no longer have no patience for type of environment and would move on.

Anouther great book is check out is GOOD TO GREAT by Jim Collins ...

Jim Collins - Articles - Good to Great

Those comapanies that never grew where ones where one owner micro-managed virtually every part of the company, most of these type of managed companies died when the owner passed away.

Those firms in America that placed the right people in positions where they all contributed and managed thier respective departments grew and flurished even in down economies.

Collins writes about putting the right people "on the bus" in the right positions ...

I seems based on your comments that you are the right person for the job , you are just on the wrong "BUS ".

He writes ...
You are a bus driver. The bus, your company, is at a standstill, and it’s your job to get it going. You have to decide where you're going, how you're going to get there, and who's going with you.
Most people assume that great bus drivers (read: business leaders) immediately start the journey by announcing to the people on the bus where they're going—by setting a new direction or by articulating a fresh corporate vision. In fact, leaders of companies that go from good to great start not with “where” but with “who.” They start by getting the right people on the bus, the wrong people off the bus, and the right people in the right seats. And they stick with that discipline—first the people, then the direction—no matter how dire the circumstances. Take David Maxwell’s bus ride. When he became CEO of Fannie Mae in 1981, the company was losing $1 million every business day, with $56 billion worth of mortgage loans underwater. The board desperately wanted to know what Maxwell was going to do to rescue the company.......

read more here

Jim Collins - Articles - Good to Great

Have you had discussions with him about your frustrations? What are his reasons for not following through on his promises?

I have had my talks with him.. It just comes down to him parting with his money (hince not reimbursing for equipment, and paying the reps commission and bonus out of my wash). I understand.. it just seems like the mindset is stuck in the past and refuses to move forward..

I have had my talks with him.. It just comes down to him parting with his money (hince not reimbursing for equipment, and paying the reps commission and bonus out of my wash). I understand.. it just seems like the mindset is stuck in the past and refuses to move forward..

Paul, RUN, dont walk, you cant fix stupid. It seems in reading this the dealer is old school, set in his ways, and not interested in taking care of his people, that will get you know where! Not sure why you personally ever paid for the equipment, that would have been a huge red flag there. We would never ask anyone at our store to ever buy anything personally. Lesson learned, the dealership buys the equipment, not the team memebers.

What equipment did you buy?

Second, did you have the pay plan in writing and did you sign a pay plan?

Maybe it's just me, but there is a big difference between being stuck in the past and asking your Internet Director to pay out of his own pocket to set up the department. It's one thing to give you additional responsibilities or have your pay plan tweaked because you're department is blowing it out, but the behavior of your boss seems to be very shady and untrustworthy.

It appears you are very qualified and a top performer, if there are other opportunities in your area, I would be looking around. He has completely gone back on his word and you owe him no loyalty.

Paul, RUN, dont walk, you cant fix stupid.

I'm frustrated for you. No amount of "doing your homework" can prepare you for a manager or owner that has no qualms about lying to you to get you in the door with the hopes you won't be able to find your way back out. Eley, hit the nail on the head, it's time to pack your go box, but it sounds like you are going to need a BIG go box...I'm a glass half full kinda guy...Update your resume.

"Fully Appointed eCommerce Director- I even come with my own equipment!"

Take your property, intellectual and physical, and go somewhere that you'll be appreciated for what you can do instead of frustrated by what you can't.

Good luck to you.

Reactions: 1 person
Paul, RUN, dont walk, you cant fix stupid. It seems in reading this the dealer is old school, set in his ways, and not interested in taking care of his people, that will get you know where! Not sure why you personally ever paid for the equipment, that would have been a huge red flag there. We would never ask anyone at our store to ever buy anything personally. Lesson learned, the dealership buys the equipment, not the team memebers.

What equipment did you buy?

Second, did you have the pay plan in writing and did you sign a pay plan?

Well it was pretty much put that I should go get what I thought we would need.. It was just a computer, printer, and some headsets. Really more of a communication error I think, but frustrating none the less.. The pay plan was in writing and signed. And quite honestly, I would be ok with both issues if I were givin the means to grow the department.

Maybe it's just me, but there is a big difference between being stuck in the past and asking your Internet Director to pay out of his own pocket to set up the department. It's one thing to give you additional responsibilities or have your pay plan tweaked because you're department is blowing it out, but the behavior of your boss seems to be very shady and untrustworthy.

It appears you are very qualified and a top performer, if there are other opportunities in your area, I would be looking around. He has completely gone back on his word and you owe him no loyalty.

Thank you for the feedback.

I'm frustrated for you. No amount of "doing your homework" can prepare you for a manager or owner that has no qualms about lying to you to get you in the door with the hopes you won't be able to find your way back out. Eley, hit the nail on the head, it's time to pack your go box, but it sounds like you are going to need a BIG go box...I'm a glass half full kinda guy...Update your resume.

"Fully Appointed eCommerce Director- I even come with my own equipment!"

Take your property, intellectual and physical, and go somewhere that you'll be appreciated for what you can do instead of frustrated by what you can't.

Good luck to you.

I have started my search..