• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Frustrated eCommerce Director.. Just letting some pent up frustration out!!

pwilkerson

Rust & Dust
Jun 4, 2011
First Name
Paul
Hey guys.. My name is Paul and I am new to this forum.

I have been working as an Internet/BDC Director for about 3 years now, and just recently was brought into an organization in desparate need of help.

First a little background about me. I came into the car business right out of high school and found it to be second nature. About 5 years ago, I was in a car accident (personal vehicle) and actually broke my back. Unable to pound the pavement any more, I began working as a vendor for a company that sold and taught phone skills training and some internet training as well. Imagine trying to sell your butt off over the phone to DPs and GMs! I was able to learn quite a bit of knowledge from this company and once I was able to get back on the lot, I used it to my advantage. The dealership that I was on with quickly realized my potential, and we started a brand new BDC/Internet Department at a store that sold a TOTAL of 80-90 cars a month, and grew the BDC/Internet sales to 40+. The dealership saw immediate success with the department and within a year was recruited by the (one of the top volume dealers in the state), to make over the BDC/Internet Department. It's still hard to believe that even though this dealer was a volume dealer, the internet/bdc was only selling about 35-40 units a month. After 6 months, we had increased the volume from 35-40 all the way to 75-90 units and $190K+ per month. Very shortly after, I was called upon by yet another dealer, and offered the Director position and develop the departments for 3 different stores. I hated leaving my previous dealer, but after speaking with others that I hold in the highest regards, I felt like it was the right move. I know that this group has a TON of potential, but I don't know what to do to help the DP realize it. Truthfully, I think he does realize it but he expects it to kinda "just happen".

Before I made the commitment to my current automotive group, I sat down with the owner in hopes of making sure that everything was on the table. This auto group was in DESPERATE need, producing only 17 units from 3 stores by way of the internet. We discussed time frames for production (90-180 days for development and implementation), number of employees needed to start (we AGREED on 3 to start), budget (6k per store), short term and long term goals, and that I am NOT an IT guy, but a damn good salesman. We also discussed the pay plan, of which was VERY generous (3k salary, 10% on front gross including holdback/dealer cash, 3% of fixed ops rev created by the Internet/BDC and includes a demo) and is NOTHING to complain about! But after 90 days, the dealer has not held to anything he agreed on, including pay.

FOLLOWING IS A LIST OF PROMISES AND WHAT ACTUALLY FOLLOWED

Promised: Actual
  • 6k budget per store: 6k for all three stores
  • Full control of the budget: NO control over the budget
  • 3 employees to start: only allowed to hire one and have been expected to do both my job AND that of a BDC rep
  • told that I would not be responsible for IT: I am solely responsible for IT
  • Was told that I had full reign on the department: every step has been micromanaged
  • 90-180 day time frame for development and implementation: Was expected to happen the first 15!!!
  • Was promised new equipment: Was told to purchase needed equipment (like computers, printers, phones, etc.) and that I would be reimbursed, but changed their mind after I had made the purchases
  • Was promised full support: it's been a fight every step of the way
FOLLOWING IS A LIST OF WHAT I HAVE ACCOMPLISHED IN THE FIRST 90 DAYS
  • Completely refreshed the websites by working with the OEM appointed providers to create sites that brand the image of the dealership, implementing true call to action, and increase conversion rate.
  • Increased average site traffic from 1,500 to 2,500
  • Increased TOTAL conversion rate from 2.6% to 6.8%.
  • Increased closing ratio from 8% to 21%.
  • Implemented a process that does not give up gross, while keeping closing ratio high.
  • Almost tripled sales from 17 total units to 48
  • Increased average gross per copy from $1,900 to $3,100
  • Created multiple ways that customers could communicate with us including email, live chat, video chat, text, and phone.
  • I do ALL of the graphic design work for the dealerships including everything from logos, to billboards and advertisements.
  • Successfully started an internship based scholarship for the local college that brings in a number of photography students to take photos of vehicles, and events for posting. Money spent is used as a tax write off plus makes for GREAT publicity.
My frustrations are that my dealer has proceeded to micromanage, and thus leashed me. I was recruited because the company had no idea what it was doing, and because I do. Yet, I am micromanaged, plus I have all of the normal responsibilities of my position, without any of the authority. After all of the improvement over the last 90 days, the dealer still refuses to let me grow this beast by restricting me and not allowing me to hire. He has only allowed me to hire one employee and expects me to not only manage my responsibilities and my (1) employee, but also do the job of a BDC rep. At the end of last month, he asked me how many sold units I was solely responsible for aside from my rep. To me, this is the equivalent of asking the GSM how many units he sold on his own, without a salesperson.

How can I show him that if he would let me off of the leash, that I would blow the market up for him? I have the experience and knoweledge to make this the most profitable department in the company, but no backing..

Some advice, PLEASE!!! Thank you!

**EDIT**
I had to pull some of the more private information out in order to protect my current position.

Last edited:
You seem to be a producer period. You understand the basics and more. You can work with vendors to improve things. You can hire and manage people.

Buddy, you are as unique as Obama's birth certificate.

Jump ship, find another place. IT WILL NOT GET BETTER WHERE YOU ARE.

You made a mistake and tha is OK (I made tons of mistakes so far, and I will make more!), but regroup and move.

I have been there and understand. I have been doing consulting work and really miss being in a store. I have turned down a couple of positions. I will not go back to a dealership unless they agree to supply me all of the tools that I feel is necessary. Obviously, you know how to move the needle. Most dealerships don't have a clue. Get you name out there. Get a payplan that is based on Internet sales and don't look back.