• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

GM dealer sells rather than comply.

JessicaRuth

3rd Base Coach
Nov 4, 2012
First Name
Jessica
What are your thoughts and feelings on Marc Heitz selling his GM dealership rather than comply with General Motors facilities standards? He recently sold his successful dealership after he was told he needed to change its hunting lodge style to continue collecting dealer-excellence money.

JamieS

Boss
Oct 12, 2011
Awards
First Name
Jamie
Wow. That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen. I mean GM. I remember reading about this issue a while back and never thought it would come to this. How many Car Dealerships will a person actually WANT to visit based on the facility alone? Can't be many. Gunther VW in South Florida and Georgia are others I can think of. GM should've consulted with Heitz on design ideas for their stores instead of punishing him (similar to what Gunther is now doing with VWoA). I would understand if Heitz's store was something really far away from Chevy's image but that store makes you feel as though you've stepped into a Silverado commercial.

Chris Cachor

3rd Base Coach
Apr 29, 2011
First Name
Chris
but that store makes you feel as though you've stepped into a Silverado commercial.

My thoughts too. Even McDonalds experiment with unique store designs so I'm surprised to see something couldn't be worked out between them.

ddavis

Boss
Jun 28, 2011
First Name
Doug
I doubt that he lost any money selling the franchise.

Honestly, it pisses me off to see this. GM still owes the taxpayers billions of dollars and this is a prime concern? The government is talking about dumping stock and we (the taxpayers) will lose money on every share. GM still has billions in unfunded pension liability. I think it is a matter of time before they will be back asking for more money.

kevinfrye

Sr. Refresher
Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Kevin
GM has shown that they would also be great running airport security. No common sense at all, just blind compliance to their self-written rules...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 person

joe.pistell

Uncle Joe
Apr 7, 2009
First Name
Joe
Shopper Challenge....You can buy a Chevy Anywhere, which store is best for me?
Dealer Challenge......You can buy a Chevy Anywhere, How do I stand out?
GM Challenge...........You can buy a Chevy Anywhere, they're all the same.

Fast Fwd 10 years: Buy your Chevy from GM.

• 3Like
Reactions: 3 people

kevinfrye

Sr. Refresher
Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Kevin

Awesome Joe - thanks for making me laugh

• 1Like

Jeff Kershner

Founder
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff

Simple and yet so true Joe. Though I would say maybe a little longer on the 10 years.

"Dealer Challenge......You can buy a Chevy Anywhere, How do I stand out?" - This is the one that I try to get dealers to focus in on. Most dealers still have the mindset that the local customer are "Their Customers" and no matter, they are going to at least get the opportunity to sell them a car when they are in the market for their make of vehicle.

• 1Like

subi101

Full Sticker
Dec 13, 2011
First Name
Subi
GM seems to punish the ones who are ahead of the times or creative. Just like the new Social Media/ Listing "compliancy" thing they came out with.

Sad really that he's being pushed in that direction. Clearly the success he had for them wasn't good enough of an excuse.

• 2Like
Reactions: 2 people

CarGuy2011

Green Pea
Apr 29, 2011
First Name
Car
The owner should have sold the GM franchise and had the new owners move the dealership around the corner to a GM approval building and purchased a Ford or Toyota franchise and moved it into the dealership. That would have stuck it to GM and hurt their feelings because selling the dealership only makes GM happy because the new owner is going to make the changes that GM wants. If he could convert all his GM buyers to another maker, that would piss GM off good.

• 1Like