• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

GM dealer sells rather than comply.

Wow. That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen. I mean GM. I remember reading about this issue a while back and never thought it would come to this. How many Car Dealerships will a person actually WANT to visit based on the facility alone? Can't be many. Gunther VW in South Florida and Georgia are others I can think of. GM should've consulted with Heitz on design ideas for their stores instead of punishing him (similar to what Gunther is now doing with VWoA). I would understand if Heitz's store was something really far away from Chevy's image but that store makes you feel as though you've stepped into a Silverado commercial.

I doubt that he lost any money selling the franchise.

Honestly, it pisses me off to see this. GM still owes the taxpayers billions of dollars and this is a prime concern? The government is talking about dumping stock and we (the taxpayers) will lose money on every share. GM still has billions in unfunded pension liability. I think it is a matter of time before they will be back asking for more money.

Shopper Challenge....You can buy a Chevy Anywhere, which store is best for me?
Dealer Challenge......You can buy a Chevy Anywhere, How do I stand out?
GM Challenge...........You can buy a Chevy Anywhere, they're all the same.

Fast Fwd 10 years: Buy your Chevy from GM.

Reactions: 3 people
Shopper Challenge....You can buy a Chevy Anywhere, which store is best for me?
Dealer Challenge......You can buy a Chevy Anywhere, How do I stand out?
GM Challenge...........You can buy a Chevy Anywhere, they're all the same.

Fast Fwd 10 years: Buy your Chevy from GM.

Simple and yet so true Joe. Though I would say maybe a little longer on the 10 years.

"Dealer Challenge......You can buy a Chevy Anywhere, How do I stand out?" - This is the one that I try to get dealers to focus in on. Most dealers still have the mindset that the local customer are "Their Customers" and no matter, they are going to at least get the opportunity to sell them a car when they are in the market for their make of vehicle.

Reactions: 1 person
GM seems to punish the ones who are ahead of the times or creative. Just like the new Social Media/ Listing "compliancy" thing they came out with.

Sad really that he's being pushed in that direction. Clearly the success he had for them wasn't good enough of an excuse.

Reactions: 2 people
The owner should have sold the GM franchise and had the new owners move the dealership around the corner to a GM approval building and purchased a Ford or Toyota franchise and moved it into the dealership. That would have stuck it to GM and hurt their feelings because selling the dealership only makes GM happy because the new owner is going to make the changes that GM wants. If he could convert all his GM buyers to another maker, that would piss GM off good.

Reactions: 1 person