• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

GM Launches CarBravo

Dealers aren't allowed to list used inventory on both the GM CPO site and CarBravo. They'll have to choose. I reckon this is GM's way of nudging dealers over to CarBravo. They want all the inventory over there in order to drive traffic and make it competitive with existing sites.

I asked GM's press person why they're forcing dealers to choose, and I'll share the response if I get one.

Interesting. This topic was brought up during our call today with @erika_simms and Jillian at DealerAuthority.

Here is a copy of the Press Release:

General Motors Introduces CarBravo™ – A New Way to Shop for Used Vehicles
Tue, January 11, 2022

CarBravo offers used vehicle shoppers choice, convenience, transparency and helps create peace of mind
  • Customers can shop online, at the dealership or a combination of both
  • Wide selection of inventory including non-GM makes and models
  • Benefits, support and service throughout ownership experience
DETROIT – General Motors introduced today CarBravo, a new way to shop for used vehicles. CarBravo will elevate the shopping, buying and ownership experience by offering used-vehicle customers access to an expansive inventory, an omnichannel shopping experience and exclusive ownership benefits.

“CarBravo will give customers more choice and access to shop significantly expanded inventories of both the dealer and a national central stock of GM used vehicles. Importantly, the program features will also be offered on non-GM used vehicles,” said Steve Carlisle, GM executive vice president and president of GM North America, “CarBravo is designed to provide customers the convenience to shop how they want, where they want – online, at the dealership or both.”

CarBravo will also deliver a seamless customer experience through GM’s new digital retail platform (DRP). The DRP will provide a simple and transparent shopping interface featuring clear dealer pricing, vehicle history reports and 360-degree views of the vehicle. All CarBravo vehicles will be inspected and reconditioned to meet standards set by GM. Customers can receive guaranteed online offers, from the industry standard Black Book, to buy their vehicles even if they do not purchase a vehicle through CarBravo.

Peace of mind is built into CarBravo with standard warranty coverage on all vehicles, an extensive nationwide network of dealerships for service and maintenance, and wide-ranging ownership benefits that include roadside service, courtesy transportation, and OnStar and SiriusXM trials on eligible vehicles1 throughout the ownership lifecycle. CarBravo leverages the assets of GM, GM Financial and the GM dealer network to create a flexible, modern shopping and buying experience. Customers can also take advantage of at-home test drives and home deliveries, where available at participating dealers.

“Used vehicles are a significant part of our business,” said Todd Ingersoll, dealer principal of Ingersoll Auto in Danbury, Connecticut, whose dealership participated in the CarBravo pilot. “We are excited to join GM in exceeding our customers’ expectations and continuing to provide a world-class experience.”

Dealer enrollment begins immediately, and the consumer launch is expected to begin in spring 2022.

Problem is the cost in my opinion:

$1,000 enrollment fee
$299/per unit sold
$1,500/quarter if you list 90% of your vehicles on CarBravo (could be more if you list less of your cars on CarBravo)
$10 overage inventory fee?? (assuming this is a 1 time fee not a per day fee, but come on)

Plus they have very strict photo requirements, similar to Carvana's 360 photos which I know some dealers are doing already or you can pay one of their vendor $499/month to do the photos. Plus some on-line offer vendor that is $579/month.

Seems like a TON of money and a lot of work when I'm not having any trouble moving my used inventory. Are any GM dealers actually going to do this? I for one am not. GM is trying to have dealers pay for them to have a third party listing site.

You would think that GM would be trying to help their dealers considering how little new car inventory we all have right now. I expected CarBravo to be little to no cost to dealers, instead it's probably would cost more than most of our other third party listing sites.

$1,000 enrollment fee
$299/per unit sold
$1,500/quarter if you list 90% of your vehicles on CarBravo (could be more if you list less of your cars on CarBravo)
$10 overage inventory fee?? (assuming this is a 1 time fee not a per day fee, but come on)

Plus they have very strict photo requirements, similar to Carvana's 360 photos which I know some dealers are doing already or you can pay one of their vendor $499/month to do the photos. Plus some on-line offer vendor that is $579/month.

Seems like a TON of money and a lot of work when I'm not having any trouble moving my used inventory. Are any GM dealers actually going to do this? I for one am not. GM is trying to have dealers pay for them to have a third party listing site.

You would think that GM would be trying to help their dealers considering how little new car inventory we all have right now. I expected CarBravo to be little to no cost to dealers, instead it's probably would cost more than most of our other third party listing sites.
Wow! I'd have thought they'd start with a cheap or no-charge offering. The site is starting with zero traffic. What can they be thinking??

Dealers aren't allowed to list used inventory on both the GM CPO site and CarBravo. They'll have to choose. I reckon this is GM's way of nudging dealers over to CarBravo. They want all the inventory over there in order to drive traffic and make it competitive with existing sites.

I asked GM's press person why they're forcing dealers to choose, and I'll share the response if I get one.
The way that it was explained to us was that they have too many dealers that are really bad at CPO and they hope that they'll switch.

• Hilarious
Reactions: DrewAment

$1,000 enrollment fee
$299/per unit sold

You nailed this. In my opinion, GM is rushing this out to get dealers desperate for inventory to jump in.

Reactions: craigh
And then there is this: https://forum.dealerrefresh.com/threads/shots-fired-by-gm-north-american.7777/

"Not waiting around is GM’s North American President Steve Carlisle who fired this recent warning shot by telling dealers straight up that they risk having their vehicle allocation redirected to other dealers who aren’t being bad actors in the new car sales process."