• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Going to NADA - tell me all about it

EmilyJSpellman

Full Sticker + Prep
Apr 11, 2019
Awards
First Name
Emily
I'm going to NADA next month for the first time. I am the only one from my dealership going and I will know absolutely no one with the exception of maybe a couple of my trusted vendors. So- tell me your best advice for making the most of it inside and outside of the conference!

- What are some things I must see at the conference?
- What are some great places to go after hours to entertain myself?
- Any cautionary tales?

Thanks in advance!!!

Reactions: bhudson
Hello, Emily. NADA is always an incredible experience. I encourage you to review the learning sessions/breakouts and attend as many of those as you see fit, always good info. Then make time to go through the exhibit halls as well. Schedule as many demos or appts in advance as possible. The NADA website or app gives you a list of all booths and their location, as well as their sessions. They even have a planner you can use. Many vendors host parties as well so ask your vendor partners for more info to get registered. Here's the link to set up a demo with us and RSVP to our happy hour as well. WE'd love to share what we're all about and what we're doing to help dealerships all over the country increase their business. https://teamvelocitymarketing.com/nada/

Hope that helps. Good luck and I hope you enjoy!

Reactions: bhudson
Hey Emily - as a fellow woman in automotive for the past 25 + years and attendee of this particular show numerous times, please know with confidence everyone is extremely welcoming, helpful and friendly. Am sure very quickly you'll have several folks willing to "run with you", be your buddy at various events/after parties, etc...BUT be very aware of your phone/purse!!! I have had both stolen down in Vegas literally right in front of me - so that's really the only down side.
Please feel free to come by our CarFilm App booth # 700C (within Oplogic's 20 x 20) to say Hey and check in. We are also hosting an Invite Only Hockey Event Saturday night the 18th if you'd be interested in attending that with us. My cell is 630-846-4948.
Enjoy - it's a great time all around!
Marni

Emily- 15+ year Vendor Booth Rat veteran here!! :) Ask fellow Dealers at the show (Dark Brown Badge or Light Brown Badge) what they are at the show for. Vendors have Yellow Badges and Consultants have Orange Badges. Do some research ahead of time for the topics/issues your dealership wants to solve/address. Then, make sure to get a good cell phone number so you can text those Vendors when you are at the show.
It's hard for dealers to make appointments ahead of time and then stick to that schedule. So text the next vendor you are going to see and tell them you are on your way. That way, they'll be prepared for your booth visit. I always hated it when one of my dealers showed up and I was smack dab in the middle of a demo and couldn't spend time with them.

I love the energy of NADA!!! It's the Vendor Super Bowl and all of us are excited.

As for after-show, hit the parties and happy hours. Here's a partial list:
Bring a bag for the cool swag the vendors pass out. Please take all of the swag, it costs more money to ship the leftovers after the conference.
Have fun and hope to meet you at NADA 2020!

Hello, Emily. NADA is always an incredible experience. I encourage you to review the learning sessions/breakouts and attend as many of those as you see fit, always good info. Then make time to go through the exhibit halls as well. Schedule as many demos or appts in advance as possible. The NADA website or app gives you a list of all booths and their location, as well as their sessions. They even have a planner you can use. Many vendors host parties as well so ask your vendor partners for more info to get registered. Here's the link to set up a demo with us and RSVP to our happy hour as well. WE'd love to share what we're all about and what we're doing to help dealerships all over the country increase their business. https://teamvelocitymarketing.com/nada/

Hope that helps. Good luck and I hope you enjoy!

Ironically, I already have a demo setup because I'm shopping for Digital Retailing! LOL

Reactions: Brittany
Hey Emily - as a fellow woman in automotive for the past 25 + years and attendee of this particular show numerous times, please know with confidence everyone is extremely welcoming, helpful and friendly. Am sure very quickly you'll have several folks willing to "run with you", be your buddy at various events/after parties, etc...BUT be very aware of your phone/purse!!! I have had both stolen down in Vegas literally right in front of me - so that's really the only down side.
Please feel free to come by our CarFilm App booth # 700C (within Oplogic's 20 x 20) to say Hey and check in. We are also hosting an Invite Only Hockey Event Saturday night the 18th if you'd be interested in attending that with us. My cell is 630-846-4948.
Enjoy - it's a great time all around!
Marni

Thank you so much Marni!!!! I would definitely be interested in attending. I love making new friends! Thanks!

Last edited:
Emily- 15+ year Vendor Booth Rat veteran here!! :) Ask fellow Dealers at the show (Dark Brown Badge or Light Brown Badge) what they are at the show for. Vendors have Yellow Badges and Consultants have Orange Badges. Do some research ahead of time for the topics/issues your dealership wants to solve/address. Then, make sure to get a good cell phone number so you can text those Vendors when you are at the show.
It's hard for dealers to make appointments ahead of time and then stick to that schedule. So text the next vendor you are going to see and tell them you are on your way. That way, they'll be prepared for your booth visit. I always hated it when one of my dealers showed up and I was smack dab in the middle of a demo and couldn't spend time with them.

I love the energy of NADA!!! It's the Vendor Super Bowl and all of us are excited.

As for after-show, hit the parties and happy hours. Here's a partial list:
Bring a bag for the cool swag the vendors pass out. Please take all of the swag, it costs more money to ship the leftovers after the conference.
Have fun and hope to meet you at NADA 2020!

Thanks for sharing that link! Now I don't know how to pick what to do!!!! LOL

I found it! Here you go @EmilyJSpellman. This is the most comprehensive, and humorous, guide to attending a conference that I've seen written by the one and only April Rain. Hard to believe she UPDATED this guide in preparation for NADA 2015!

I'd say that 90% of it is still applicable for NADA 2020. Enjoy!

This is my 17th year in the industry and I 'd guess it will be my 13th or 14th NADA convention. I can't count the number of Digital Dealers, Innovative Dealer Summits, DrivingSales, and other conferences with an expo hall that I've attended along the way or worked a booth in over the years. It's been a lot.

There is one section in this guide that in my opinion is a little dated and has changed and steadily improved over the years: The booth babes are paid to flirt with you.

I typed a bunch of examples of things that I'd seen in previous shows that would fly like a lead balloon in 2020, and then I deleted them all as it wasn't necessary or constructive. We'd all agree that those "strategies" have no place in today's automotive conferences, and that is really the point.

The industry has undergone a necessary course-correction in this area as our ownership, leadership, and consumer relationships have evolved and changed. Sure, it absolutely mimics societal change over that period of time, but even so, we are all better for it.

Hope to see you in Vegas Emily.

Ryan