• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google Analytics - Quick Question

CFrentzen

Boss
Apr 24, 2009
First Name
Chris
Hey guys,

Does Google Analytics refresh with new stats (by the hour, daily, every 3 minutes 32 seconds)? I can't seem to find this information in the help section of GA.

Sorry if this has already been posted too - couldn't find it on the forums.

I have interesting data coming back from GA that seems...somewhat odd (i.e. 2600+ more page views than the benchmark). On average, sites my size get 18 views? I'm not so sure about that.

If I should just contact Google that'd be useful information too.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Does Google Analytics refresh with new stats (by the hour, daily, every 3 minutes 32 seconds)? I can't seem to find this information in the help section of GA.

Sorry if this has already been posted too - couldn't find it on the forums.

Google stats are usually 24 hours behind from my observations. You get can some stats if you are looking at the current day but im not sure how often they are refreshed.

Have you subscribed Google Analytics Blog: Web Analytics Tips & Tricks

I just looked at my hard web/server logs for 3 sites that I also have GA on. It looks like the live data is about 4 hours behind. Pretty good considering the amount of data they process!

Remember that the default view only show that last 30 days. You have to force a "today view" by selecting the date in the calendar dropdown- keeping in mind that the data is not in "real time"

Drew Ament
Press1toTalk.com
Cell: 602-405-9630
Office: 1-(866)-553-1859 x100
[email protected]

Last edited:
Have you tried Woopra (Woopra - Website Tracking and Analytics), live real time analytics, its a really nice package, I have been using a while now with no problems alongside my Google Analytics.

The edge it has over Google is that you can get live stats, visitors on the site now, sadly Google's is a bit behind.

I used it for a little while - until we realized it was pinging everyone's browsing habits back to woopra. It is an awesome tool, and I am going to have to disagree with Joe. The knowledge I gained from watching live traffic was incredible. On top of that, if you have the capability, you can serve up specific ad messages based on your visitors viewing habits.

Active Engage has this ability and Dealer.com is working on it.

I agree there are advantages to watching live analytics but NOT as a sales person. If you are a internet director or marketing manager for a company it is a great tool. Sales people should NEVER site in front of a computer watching live data.

I suggest Omniture for analytics. All the big boys use them and they offer live analytics. You want to get the best of your SEO practices this is the way to go.

I agree with Joe, dealers really don't have a need for live analytics. I can't really think of any particular business model that requires true real time analytics, really. Unless something is horribly wrong it's really not valuable to be checking at such short intervals. Daily is more than enough for the average dealer, I'd recommend weekly in the typical scenario. Much less than that and you don't have enough data to make a decision on.

With a tool like Omniture it can be interesting to import offline data like traditional advertising, weather, or floor traffic (if you have measurements you can trust).

To your question, I remember reading 24 hours somewhere, sometime last year. That number may have changed since then.