• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google Map - pls help me

While I appreciate the feedback, I guess I am under the handicap of whether or not the ones who write in these threads are willing to give the same advice as I've read or have seen freely given out in others. I realize that images are invisible to search engines! as mentioned. I do thank you for pointing out however, that the business name should be in text wherever the address is as I assume your point is that this may help with places placement. The initial question was how to get my places ranking up by modifying the content of the listing itself. (as this was the pitch of the particular vendor) It seems that the things you so graciously are pointing out are things related to the site and its content. To simplify things, if pointing these things out meant that it will also help my maps placement as well as organic results on Google then that would have been great feedback. I still am not certain as to whether that will increase the maps listing results or not based on your comment. As for the 'no fair cutting corners' comment -I have no idea what you are speaking of. And yes I did click on the link you sent me before replying..Are you saying that I should complete the getlisted results to show 100% - again this would have been an easy response - other than just slashing at things tha I am not familiar with - and assuming I am. I am familiar with many industry leaders in both SEO and SEM and agree that hiring or replacing vendors for these things to improve the results is key. However, although I have been in this business for 20 years and have control of some decisions, I do not (like many dealer managers) control all of the decisions. It seems you have all of that perfected and have had the opportunity to hire the top people to get you where you need to be and that is not always easy at the dealer level for everyone.
And to Ryan from CarChat's point, thank you for your comment. All I was asking was if there was a way to get the places ranking up on my own as it is difficult at the dealer level to get every tool and vendor involved and at times you have to pick and chose based on your budget, as well as what you may or may not be able to attain on your own. I did also feel they were simple steps, but humbly was just asking for a possible channel to attain them on my own. I will say I do appreciate those that have gone above and beyond and have been open to giving feedback to items they do not sell but are very familiar with. Which seems to be the blessing here in these forums. I will continue to be a faithful reader and contact those I already know personally in the industry - whether free or paid advice - for feedback.. Thank you DR

Hi Michele,

I'm one of the internet marketing experts referred to earlier on in this thread and I'm hoping I can help you address your map ranking concerns. First off, here's some free resources I've personally written for small businesses who want perform DIY local seo.

1) How to Get Your Google Maps to 100% Completion - http://bit.ly/gmapscompletion . We normally give this away as a free report when you sign up to our newsletter but I thought I'd lead you straight to it.

2) I wrote a complete guide to Local SEO at Work.com. It covers the following topics:

1. Market Research
  2. Keyword Focus and Use of Local Modifiers
  3. Optimizing Your Website for Local SEO
  4. Creating or Claiming Existing Local Business Listings
  5. Optimizing Local Business Profile Listings
  6. Building Citations and Links to Enhance Listing Rankings
  7. Encouraging Customer Testimonials and Reviews
  8. Staying Up to Date with Changes in Local SEO
http://devbasu.com/guide-to-local-seo-and-local-search-optimization-on-work-com/#ixzz0vYJbF07W You can get this guide here - http://bit.ly/completelocalseoguide

Now to clear up some myths:

- Images aren't invisible to Google. If you give an image the proper alt tag and caption, and go as far as including it in an image site map then Google will pick it up. You can rank for super competitive phrases like 'nissan altima' by doing so and undercut competition who doesn't bother to optimize their images.

- Modifying and adding to your place page content DOES affect your listing ranking positively. Unless you're at 100% as per Google places (not Getlisted.org) you have not completed the basic requirements of having well optimized listing.

I hope all of the information above helps. If you still need consultancy or a managed program, get in touch with me at [email protected] and we'll talk about setting up a proper SEO program. I've got a couple of dealer case studies on the way proving the incredible value of getting on Google maps 7-pack and that should further justify your efforts in getting ranked.

If a sales rep cold calls you selling SEO... then you know you're watching a dog and pony show. The demand for SEO (local and organic) for SMB (Small to Medium Business) is so high that if you amass an army of reps give 'em a script and send them out, you're gonna get orders.

Local SEO is very different than "organic" SEO and requires a totally unique game plan for each. REAL SEO's like Dev help you with what you have, not fit you into a script.

Quick tip for all of you who are optimizing Google maps - Don't use city keywords in your custom categories when you are filling out your Google place pages. Eg: DO NOT use custom categories such as 'chicago honda dealer'. Instead just use 'honda dealer'. The Google Places team has employed 300 part time staff to review the quality of place page listings and this is important to ensure your listings don't get dinged.