• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google Privacy

CFrentzen

Boss
Apr 24, 2009
First Name
Chris
I'm down with Google - I love the way their products work. However, a friend of mine recently warned me about working on a project I am working on with a fellow business partner in Google Docs; he referred specifically to the following bolded section:

9. Proprietary rights
9.1 You acknowledge and agree that Google (or Google’s licensors) own all legal right, title and interest in and to the Services, including any intellectual property rights which subsist in the Services (whether those rights happen to be registered or not, and wherever in the world those rights may exist). You further acknowledge that the Services may contain information which is designated confidential by Google and that you shall not disclose such information without Google’s prior written consent.

What is this Google? My associate and I immediately removed all documents saved on Google Docs after reviewing their ToS.

The only reason I see to claim ownership of all intellectual property rights inside any of their services is to potentially (bottom line) make more money. Given Google's financial standing at the moment and the foreseeable future, it's understandable I have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth from learning this.

Perhaps someone else sees reasoning for doing this that I don't? Or even better someone who can prove to me that despite this, the ideas and projects I work on in Google Docs are in fact my own property!

It also appears to be quite difficult to get in contact with Google directly. I understand the reasons behind that but some sort of contact information would be useful.

If you don't like they're ToS, don't play with their stuff. I don't know why they have that line in there - I'm not a lawyer or a strategist for Google. But sometimes you have to pay to play. Try using a different online sharing site: http://acrobat.com or pay for an Apple MobileMe account. There is also Sharepoint from Microsoft.

If you don't like they're ToS, don't play with their stuff. I don't know why they have that line in there - I'm not a lawyer or a strategist for Google. But sometimes you have to pay to play. Try using a different online sharing site: http://acrobat.com or pay for an Apple MobileMe account. There is also Sharepoint from Microsoft.

Agreed - we are using a different tool for collaboration. I am just a bit shocked I guess (not trying to be dramatic). Seems very odd to me that Google would put that clause in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff Kershner