• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google Voice - any tips?

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
Staff member
May 1, 2006
Awards
First Name
Alex
I'm finally giving Google Voice a try and wanted to see if anyone is a pro and has some tips or ideas for usage? Jeff mentioned he tried it a long time ago but stopped, so I'm sure he'd be curious to hear things too.

I use it all of the time... I love it. It lets you route calls based on who is calling you, texts you an "attempted" transcription of voice mails, and lets you give out one number but have it ring whatever phone you happen to be near.

I've been using it for about a year now.

Was there anything in particular you wanted to know?

Was there anything in particular you wanted to know?

I am loving the voicemail feature! However, I would also like to get my office phone setup. The only downside is that it is through a service provider Google does not support. Do I need to create a Google Voice phone number and just setup call forwarding to that number from the office?

My favorite feature is the fake "this number is no longer in service" message you can apply to certain unwanted callers.

You can set up your Google Voice # to FWD to your current phone number and you can set up your VMs that go to your current VM/Google FWD'd to an email account and/or text message.

Then there's the "Call Widget" which I'm surprised hasn't shown on up on more dealer websites.. that looks pretty cool too.

Here's an article to assist in your transition, haha:
How to Ease Your Transition to Google Voice - Google Voice - Lifehacker