• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Great Subject Lines!

I once used "Let's puck around" - and Yes it did pertain to the email. We were offering signed hockey pucks for a test drive, service coupons, and a "save the date" for our annual Christmas open house. Open rate 27% for a full list blast, opt-out low for us .03%.

Reactions: 2 people
I use :

Normal follow up to your inquiry
Your internet inquiry on 08/23 13 Accord
Extra $50 MasterCard - Use it any where
Not out to bug you
I realize you may have bought a car. If not ...
Month End Deals at
Price Drop - 2012 Honda
$50 + $100 ='s $150 use it any where

On 90% of my emails I mention the vehicle, such as ePrice quote for 2012 Fit Base. Why? If the customer replies, the subject line instantly tells me the vehicle & I am able to keep them organized with my in box.

One other thing. When you are exchanging emails with customers, it is important to change the subject line to keep the conversation in order. This is important with email follow up in general. I can't tell you how many subject lines I have used say : It's Friday - you inquired on a 12 Accord Wednesday. Etc..

Just some food for thought.

Dan O'

GO O'S ! !

"I was thinking about you" <-- One of my favs that gets a great open rate.

[This is followed with a vehicle from your inventory]

Jeff, I was just thinking about you. We traded-in this this... It's a One owner, CleanCarFax and had all of it's services performed here at the dealership. Click on the link below for photos, pricing and options.

2012 Nissan Titan - Frederick Nissan - Frederick, MD - 21704 Dealer - PureCars.com Used Car

[From here I would link to the VDP on the website OR better yet, I'm a fan of PureCar Value Report so I link it that - many dealer website platforms FAIL when linking to a VPD and the customer is on their mobile device (like most people are now). The URLS don't forward to the VDP on the mobile site - sending the customer to the mobile homepage]

What do you think? <-- ending the email in a question to the customer.

This is a great thread!

Reactions: 1 person
One day a few years ago at a dealer I worked payroll was 2 weeks late and I had run out of money so I emailed something like, "If you don't buy a car from me can you do me a favor and order a pizza?" No one ordered me a pizza, but some guy came in 6 months or so later saying he never forgot the email and bought a car.

Ending with a question is always a good practice.

In fact when you receive customer service from insurance companies, eBay, Amex , PayPal etc...

The customer service rep always ask, "Mr.O'Neil, are there any additional questions you have or other things I can help you with ?"

I've sent many emails asking " is there anything I did not cover " ? Please let me know.

I once used "Let's puck around" - and Yes it did pertain to the email. We were offering signed hockey pucks for a test drive, service coupons, and a "save the date" for our annual Christmas open house. Open rate 27% for a full list blast, opt-out low for us .03%.

I love this Kelly! Mind if I use this in my presentations at DrivingSales Summit as an example for dealers to think about when considering subject lines?

Side note for everyone: Myself and Malinda Terreri from 1to1 News will be hosting a session at DSES titled “Secrets of the Inbox: The New Evolution of Email” that Tuesday at 3pm. I'll be speaking on effective subject lines. If you're going to be at DSES, be sure to join our session. It's going to GREAT!!

I love this Kelly! Mind if I use this in my presentations at DrivingSales Summit as an example for dealers to think about when considering subject lines?

Why not? It's a great way it illustrate a funny line that's related to the email - and it worked!

I was just doing my reports today, and looked to see how effective it was: Open 27% Opt-out .03 CTR: 35% On the landing page we had a testdrive appt form w/4% submission, 77% show and 40% sold in a 15 day period. Walk in requests were another 8%.

With only 3,000 emails in our data base at the time...I'm hoping to run something like this next year for our Spring Fling and Truck Month. With 300% more addresses I hope it's as big of a success! IMO it's only 4 sales out of the Store's 103 last November, but the memorable laughs have a value too. BTW we had +1,500 for our customers only Christmas party the next month!
:ltbulb: Can you imagine what would have happened if I had better tools for reeling them into the showroom?

Why not? It's a great way it illustrate a funny line that's related to the email - and it worked!

I was just doing my reports today, and looked to see how effective it was: Open 27% Opt-out .03 CTR: 35% On the landing page we had a testdrive appt form w/4% submission, 77% show and 40% sold in a 15 day period. Walk in requests were another 8%.

:ltbulb: Can you imagine what would have happened if I had better tools for reeling them into the showroom?

Great numbers Kelly. I'm sure the email had more impact on floor traffic than what you were able to measure.

In regards to your last statement, are you asking me to put on my HookLogic hat? :)